Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe vs 2014 Nissan GT-R

Interesting to say the least.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

You've got to hand it to Nissan for what they have been able to come up with--performance wise. Every time I have come across an online comparison article or youtube blurb titled "GT-R versus (fill in the blank)" the GT-R wins virtually every time, hands down (except maybe versus Veyron).

The amazing thing is the specs don't read that much different from other supercars (in terms of horsepower and weight) but in a straight line the GT-R seems to be able to blast past almost everything and does even better when twisties are involved.

Unfortunately the styling of the car looks like it was assembled by a committee and the overall package looks like junk (imho).

Doug

Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree with you 100%. I do admit, I envy the performance of the GT-R but don't think I'd ever own one. Don't like the styling either but the all wheel drive gives it that grip off the line & in the twisties. It doesn't really destroy the R Coupe, in fact I think the Jag held did exceptionally well in the vid. & the amazing look of the Coupe!!! I think these F-Types are a good bang for your buck.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually had a 911 a Lotus Evora S the Jag and the GT-R as well as the Aston Martin GT on my list but so far I have decided I hate the GT-R interior, the Aston feels a bit old, the Porsche looks like a VW bug at night when oncoming traffic looks at it. Evora S is still in the running with the Jaguar. I am gonna test drive them both. Lotus looks more exotic to me but I am not sure about the kit carish interior. So F type is leading by a hair

Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally agree. I was also leaning toward a GTR but unfortunately it looks like crap. If Nissan would make the GTR look somewhat like a 370Z it could be a serious competitor.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I've owned 2 2014 GT-R's. The GT-R is all about track and speed. It's a very mechanical, harsh and noisy drivers car with refinement not even considered. The interior is crap. On the track the GT-R is king and will command the most respect, but on the street it leaves a lot to be desired. Will I buy another GTR? Yes, for the right price. The next generation GT-R (R36) is soon to be released with a hybrid drive train and Nissan has said driver comfort will be considered. The GTR with its rear AWD transaxle and electronics is a killer combination. The GTR's transmission between the rear wheels makes the car more grounded. It will be nice to see the F-type in AWD but it will most likely only be introduced in the V6 version and not have the ingenious transaxle such as the GTR has.

The following users liked this post:
Dremorg (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting the test. Interesting that they even compared these cars. I've posted on this site my impressions of my Type R on the track. It is a lot of fun, but its not a track weapon.

I also own a highly modified GTR that I use as a dedicated track car. Other than price point, comparing the two on performance is like comparing apples and oranges. The GTR is built purely for speed, period, and its an absolute blast when you drive it really, really hard. It's not meant to be beautiful or refined. The Type R is a refined, very performance oriented GT that by all accounts is one of the most beautiful designs on the road. I love each for what they do best.

Last edited by ftypegtr; 06-16-2014 at 08:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ftypegtr:
DGL (06-16-2014), Dremorg (06-17-2014), F-TypeRookie (10-31-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned 4 GT-Rs. Just picked up my F-Typr R today. Totally different beast. Not as fast in a straight line but it is a blast to drive and that exhaust...!!
The interior quality is a few bars higher as well. All in all, very satisfied with the car so far.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I just came out of a '13 GTR Black Edition. I completely agree with those on this thread who say the F-Type and GT-R are very different rides. The GT-R is a real bargain if one's interests are track-based, and especially if one is into heavy modding (as I also used to be in a '93.5 MKIV Supra hardtop).
And the F-Type? I see it as just starting to carve out its own legacy.

An aside. My R coupe has garnered more attention than the last 5-6 cars I've owned put together. A neighbor of mine happened by last week to check out my car. By itself, no big deal. But, the fact that for the last 15 years the guy has never been over to my house speaks volumes!

Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

The F-Type is much more a fun street car. As more F-types hit the streets I hope more mods will be available. Nothing comes close to the Nissan GT-R on the track but it leaves a lot to be desired as a street car, mainly the noise chatter, quality of ride and quality of interior. The GT-R's "midship" DCT transaxle drive train is phenomenal, coupled with AWD superior electronics takes the beast to a class of it's own on the track but not on the street.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The reason they did this test is because the they are so close in price. GT-R still the track king and the tester really likes the R, despite having power it has a hard time putting down, just like the XKR-S. You have to feather the power in and out of turns.

As for these constant Evora comparisons, they are nothing a like. Th Evora is closer to a Cayman S and cannot compete with it. If you are looking for a two seat drivers car get a Cayman.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree the the F-type and the Evora are very different cars and are comparable only in the sense that they are both 2 seaters which share overlapping price points.

They both have beautiful design so a preference for one look versus the other is subjective.

The Evora has a clear orientation towards performance handling and driver orientation, so much so that the interior is spartan and pretty much a design afterthought.

The F-type attempts to strike a balance between performance and luxury, that is more skewed to performance than the BMW 6 or MB SL/SLK but less skewed than a Lotus or a porsche.

Digital, although I know you would like this to be an objective decision between the two, it really is not. This will be an emotional decision around which car makes you happier, and I think you probably already know the answer to that!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find all these comments very interesting and helpfull. I am about to buy a new car and I am stuck between the Nissan GT-R and the Jaguar F Type R, because they are sportscars with a trunk over 300 liters, which I wouldnt want to miss in a car I drive. So far I have test driven only the GT-R - I had a grin on my face most of the time - the acceleration, steering and grip of the car was amazing considering it was a bit rainy on that day. Still looking forward to test drive the Jag. And I want to agree with some comments - the GT-R wouldn't be the kind of car you'd take a lady on a date... I just wished the Nissan had better exterior, interior and more power on the lungs or the Jag had AWD and quicker acceleration.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Can't deny the performance of the Nissan. But I'm too old for the GTR. Seems like every GTR guy is an 20 year old street racer! Of course the Jag has its stereotype too, the old man who drives 55mph on the dot.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

The Nissan is ugly, it has a poor ride, it feels cheap and it has no soul. The only thing it has going for it is that it's faster than almost anything out there.

That said if all you care about is speed then why not get a Corvette Z06 with Z07 package. That's faster than the Nissan, legendary Z06 handling, less ugly design, better ride and feels less cheap.

Personally I would get the Jag over both. But I like to have beauty, passion and soul in my life. I don't live by numbers and I don't choose my cars based on statistics on a page.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 10-30-2014 at 10:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StealthPilot:
Crovax (11-13-2014), jmfan (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
The Nissan is ugly, it has a poor ride, it feels cheap and it has no soul. The only thing it has going for it is that it's faster than almost anything out there.

That said if all you care about is speed then why not get a Corvette Z06 with Z07 package. That's faster than the Nissan, legendary Z06 handling, less ugly design, better ride and feels less cheap.

Personally I would get the Jag over both. But I like to have beauty, passion and soul in my life. I don't live by numbers and I don't choose my cars based on statistics on a page.

In high school the Nissan GT-R would be the diesel dyke with braided arm pits and hair coming down from her nostrils that every guy would try to figure out what made her so bold as boys do. The Jaguar F-type would be the gorgeous girl every guy wanted to be with but were too afraid to ask out because she made them weak until they became a man to live the life and let the cat pounce.

Last edited by DGL; 10-31-2014 at 05:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
F-TypeRookie (10-31-2014), jmfan (10-31-2014), Psycho (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Soul is the key word...the F-Type has this in droves.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wait for the 4wd f

Old 11-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Wait for the 4wd f
4ws and AWD R-S

Last edited by StealthPilot; 11-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Wait for the 4wd f
Yeah I think I will do that, since I just read in german paper that the F Type will ne presented AWD in LA and then be on sale late summer of 2015. (http://m.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/jaguar-f-type-erlkoenig-allradantrieb-fuer-die-katze-8835056.html)

I just hope the F Type R will experince much faster acceleration with AWD perhaps with some build in launch control like the GT-R.

Since both the jag and gtr have 550 hp and similar torque Jag should get near 3 to 3.3 sec 0-60 or I'll be seriously disappointed if they come out with sth like 3.9 sec!

I hope some people at Jag HQ read the forums

Quick Reply: 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe vs 2014 Nissan GT-R