F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 R with high pitch whining noise at 3000-3500rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 R with high pitch whining noise at 3000-3500rpm

This noise is driving me crazy. I always drive my R in S mode with paddles shifting. It appears around 3000rpm and will be at its highest at 3500 rpm.
I have to put the music on in order to notice it less !
The Jag dealer who sold me the car does not know where it is coming from and is telling me that there are no TSBs regarding this issue. Thinking about switching dealers.
The noise is like a vibrating whistling sound coming from under the bonnet and is transmitted through the center console. Much more noticable when the AC is on. Has anyone experimented such a noise and what was done at the dealership to resolve the problem ? If you have any TSB number or anything written in your papers, that would help me big time
and car is like new with 4000 miles on the clock (bought it last august, CPO)
thanks !

Old 05-30-2018, 06:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Seems like more than one person had an issue with some aspect of the A/C producing noise some time back, but I don't remember details.

Could I be more vague? Try a variety of search terms.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 PM

Yes, I have found those threads. Someone was saying that one of the AC line was vibrating and creating a noise transmitted all the way through the central console inside the cabin but, there was no official fix mentioned. Also, this noise I have is still there even with the AC off completely (but less high pitch). It's difficult to describe the noise but it is like a high pitch buzzing sound maybe like a dental polishing tool.. Really really annoying ! I will have them a look at the AC compressor and start from there.

Originally Posted by DJS
Seems like more than one person had an issue with some aspect of the A/C producing noise some time back, but I don't remember details.

Could I be more vague? Try a variety of search terms.

Last edited by calvado; 05-30-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by calvado
Yes, I have found those threads. Someone was saying that one of the AC line was vibrating and creating a noise transmitted all the way through the central console inside the cabin but, there was no official fix mentioned. Also, this noise I have is still there even with the AC off completely (but less high pitch). It's difficult to describe the noise but it is like a high pitch buzzing sound maybe like a dental polishing tool.. Really really annoying ! I will have them a look at the AC compressor and start from there.
The issue was resolved, I believe, by tying that line down better. That vibration might be independent of the on/off status of the A/C.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Finally found the best description of the noise. It is the same noise that a heat pump will make when working (outside unit). Had one in my previous house sitting on the roof and we were hearing that same damn noise in the room right under. Since it is RPM related, I'm pretty sure that changing the compressor won't resolve the issue and it is more likely a resonance kind of thing. The question is, which line is problematic and where should I attach it ? Will ask wife to up RPM in neutral and try to isolate better. All A/C lines are not easily seen from the top..

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The issue was resolved, I believe, by tying that line down better. That vibration might be independent of the on/off status of the A/C.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I think part of the diagnosis (by forum members) was to temporarily remove the clip holding the a/c hard line by the drivers wheel well, allowing the line to resonate at its natural frequency.

I'd try that, see if it affects the noise, and if it does, then figure out what to do about it... While not a fix, it will at least help determine if the a/c line is the problem in this case.

Originally Posted by calvado
Finally found the best description of the noise. It is the same noise that a heat pump will make when working (outside unit). Had one in my previous house sitting on the roof and we were hearing that same damn noise in the room right under. Since it is RPM related, I'm pretty sure that changing the compressor won't resolve the issue and it is more likely a resonance kind of thing. The question is, which line is problematic and where should I attach it ? Will ask wife to up RPM in neutral and try to isolate better. All A/C lines are not easily seen from the top..

The following users liked this post:
calvado (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a service bulletin for "RATTLE/RUBBING NOISE FROM THE FLOOR CONSOLE/TRANSMISSION TUNNEL" (JTB00594NAS1) ... A rattle/rubbing noise from the floor console/transmission tunnel may be evident. Caused by the Emergency Parking Release cable coming in contact with the transmission heat shield.

It's hard to say if this TSB addresses the problem you have, but it might be a place to look. It doesn't mention any particular engine speed or whining noise - could your sound be caused by the cable rattling against a heat shield??

calvado (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I have exact same high pitch noise since new on my 2015 R. Took it in and they said they could not reproduce it. Took tech for a drive and I could hear it fine, but he said he couldn't hear it, but also he is bad of hearing. I've learned to live with the noise. Only happens at higher RPM in S or Dynamic and worse with AC on.

calvado (06-02-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

This is a serious issue. My friend have it in his XJR. Then he got a divorce. All better now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
dmchao (06-03-2018), Unhingd (06-03-2018)