F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 R TracDSC

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm just getting used to the car again. I need to re-read the manual to remember what all those buttons are for.

My usual routine is steering and dampers in dynamic, exhaust on quiet, and TracDSC. TracDSC lets the tail get a little loose on throttle, but I don't remember the details of what it is supposed to do.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm just getting used to the car again. I need to re-read the manual to remember what all those buttons are for.

My usual routine is steering and dampers in dynamic, exhaust on quiet, and TracDSC. TracDSC lets the tail get a little loose on throttle, but I don't remember the details of what it is supposed to do.
Now that you have the updated clutch, it's worth trying the throttle in dynamic mode as well. I am now using that as my normal mode. It allows for faster throttle blipping for double-clutching.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Now that you have the updated clutch, it's worth trying the throttle in dynamic mode as well. I am now using that as my normal mode. It allows for faster throttle blipping for double-clutching.
I don't have the updated clutch. I have an un-smashed car with an original clutch. So far I remain unconvinced that moving the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal to the initial travel is the right thing.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I don't have the updated clutch.
I thought I remembered you were a bit dissatisfied with the clutch feel.

I too did not use the dynamic throttle mapping mostly because the original (crappy) clutch required some real finesse and care to avoid slipping during a shift. Since the updated clutch I have found the benefit in using the dynamic setting.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

The DSC/TracDSC/off setting does not appear to affect anything other than the way the ABS HCU logic behaves. In the JaguarDrive info on TOPIx it states:

DSC controls Vehicle Stability and Traction only.

In Dynamic the Traction and DSC parameters are the same as Normal.

TracDSC and DSC ‘off’ are independent of the JDC modes. TracDSC and DSC ‘off’ function the same in all JDC modes.

If TracDSC is selected or DSC is switched off and then subsequently the JaguarDrive Control mode is changed, DSC is automatically switched back on.
How the DSC works is described in the attached PDF on page 6.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I too did not use the dynamic throttle mapping mostly because the original (crappy) clutch required some real finesse and care to avoid slipping during a shift. Since the updated clutch I have found the benefit in using the dynamic setting.
Talk to me about the clutch replacement would love to learn more..

Old 10-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave
The DSC/TracDSC/off setting does not appear to affect anything other than the way the ABS HCU logic behaves. In the JaguarDrive info on TOPIx it states:

How the DSC works is described in the attached PDF on page 6.
TracDSC and DSC Off also disables the throttle nannies to allowing burn-outs and drifting. TracDSC also provides additional traction (g-force) as it permits the driver to get closer to the limits.

This is the best driver oriented explanation I've found so far:http://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix...20dynamics.pdf

It may already be posted on this forum, but I haven't seen it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-01-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

That "Driving dynamics" PDF is for a late-model XK, but the system is very similar. The PDF that DJS posted earlier (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0) is a similar overview for the F-Type.

I can't see anything in the F-Type technical documentation that mentions DSC/TracDSC as controlling anything other than braking the corners as needed, and telling the ECM to reduce engine torque. With DSC fully off you will still have interference when the car feels it is absolutely necessary (like restricting the torque when the wheels are spinning to protect the drive line), and it will even turn the full DSC back on if you push it too fast or hard. The overview guides are all mixed in with the JaguarDrive settings which can change transmission, steering, suspension and throttle control. JD and DSC are completely different things that work together, and can be used independently of one another.

It is worth noting that the different JD modes (winter/normal/dynamic) do change the interferance thresholds in both DSC and TracDSC settings. Although no detail is given, I suspect this would allow it to take action sooner in winter and later in dynamic.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

This is true, but my clutch did not fail the slippage test specified by Jaguar. As I recall, I was told it was:
  1. Vehicle stopped
  2. Engine at 2000 rpm
  3. Engage 4th gear and release the clutch
If the car stalls, the clutch is holding.

Mine is vague and I have had some slippage under particularly aggressive shifting, but it is nowhere near what you described.

TracDSC and DSC Off also disables the throttle nannies to allowing burn-outs and drifting. TracDSC also provides additional traction (g-force) as it permits the driver to get closer to the limits.
I almost always use TracDSC because I would rather handle some wheelspin than having the system cut power. It's much more predictable for me. After having power cut when I was passing a very slow moving vehicle I opted to decline the full set of electronic nannies in most situations.

The following users liked this post:
James Tootle (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

FWIW, my dealer told me turning it off doesn't completely turn it off (can't remember percentage). He said you have to hold it for longer than the manual says (again, can't remember how many seconds) before it completely shuts off.
Never played with it, so not sure if true or not

Old 10-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

OK I want more documents Going to have to go mining later this week, unless someone has another link they would like to share

Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
FWIW, my dealer told me turning it off doesn't completely turn it off (can't remember percentage). He said you have to hold it for longer than the manual says (again, can't remember how many seconds) before it completely shuts off.
Never played with it, so not sure if true or not
Yes, the difference is TracDSC and DSC off. Press and hold to turn it completely off; when you are successful, you will get a dash message and the little squiggles will be illuminated.

Dave

Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Yes, the difference is TracDSC and DSC off. Press and hold to turn it completely off; when you are successful, you will get a dash message and the little squiggles will be illuminated.
The symbol (car with squiggles) will be illuminated for DSC off and also for TracDSC. It stays lit. You'll get a message in the center dash telling you which of the two it is, but that message only lasts for a second or two.