Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 R vs 2016 AWD S

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 R vs 2016 AWD S

Hello all,

First thread so please don't bash me too much lol.

Basically, i am having a dilemma as to whether or not to purchase a 2015 R (brand new) or a 2016 AWD (brand new) for basically 1-2k difference between them.

Is the 2016 upgrades worth it? I am sure it will depreciate better too. I really want a R but 2016 R AWD whilst obtainable, i am getting a very good discount on a 2015 model which is brand new.

So I am not sure which one to go for if im being honest. The 2015 R has my perfect color combination with wheels too.

My heart tells me go for the 2015 R but my head is saying do the sensible thing and get the 2016 AWD S.

What do you guys/gals think?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

If price (and availability) was of no concern, would you pick an AWD or RWD car?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Get the R. You didn't share numbers but if the R is less than the S then it is a good deal. Depreciation will be better on the R I think since you already took the first year hit.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 03-31-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

You don't buy a 500+hp car to be sensible, you buy it because .... schwing ... go with your heart ....

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowkey
Hello all,

First thread so please don't bash me too much lol.

Basically, i am having a dilemma as to whether or not to purchase a 2015 R (brand new) or a 2016 AWD (brand new) for basically 1-2k difference between them.

Is the 2016 upgrades worth it? I am sure it will depreciate better too. I really want a R but 2016 R AWD whilst obtainable, i am getting a very good discount on a 2015 model which is brand new.

So I am not sure which one to go for if im being honest. The 2015 R has my perfect color combination with wheels too.

My heart tells me go for the 2015 R but my head is saying do the sensible thing and get the 2016 AWD S.

What do you guys/gals think?
Man up and get a RWD

The following users liked this post:
Tel (04-01-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd go with the S AWD if I were you. Unless you are a VERY good driver or like driving your car to the limit, 550hp in a rear wheel drive config could be challenging for most folks. The AWD just gives you a little more peace of mind without sacrificing performance. Ultimately though, it's your decision. Can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by MarcusXFR; 03-31-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Hard to say without the full context (will it be daily driven? typical weather condition in your area?). That said, I'd go for the R. Completely different engine, huge HP bump. This isn't the difference between a V6 and a V6S (or a V8S and a V8R). It's 170 HP difference, V6 vs V8. Unless you absolutely need the AWD I think the engine/HP outweighs the model year 2016 changes. The 2015 and 2016 will be practically the same in terms of styling, features, etc. It comes down to 170 HP...

Old 03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

I will simply say, and coming from the owner of a 2015 V6S, and in the words of ex-Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson (driving the V6S convertible) [re] the V8, "at no point while I've been driving this [V6S] have I thought, yeah, but I wish it was a bit more exciting".

One might then add his most recent comments [after driving the V8], "it's loud all the time".

And while I quite agree that there is quite a difference, I say to each his/her own.

Good luck to you!

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd go with the R. Plus you can have it NOW.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

what car are you coming from today? that would likely inform my opinion.

there are very few cars out there like the R. it is really an experience.

i had driven the V6S, as that was my intent to drive, but it was not enough of a departure from the cayman i was driving. once i sat behind the wheel of the R and experienced the hp and torque, my decision was made.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I think it has a lot to do with your past experiences. If you've had a lot of ownership experience in high-powered, ground-pounding V8s, the V6 might be a refreshing change.

That describes my case coming out of a C6 Z06. While it was a decent enough street car and could be tamed by behaving oneself, all that power was unusable except on a track. I have had plenty of other V8s as well (Shelby Mustangs, Audi RS4, E92 M3), and I was ready for a change. The V6 F-Type fit the bill perfectly.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-31-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the comments.

It will be an everyday car. Driving to work etc There are 2016 awd R's and S's available in England if you look hard enough. The problem is there aren't many and they are being sold very fast.

I currently drive a c63 amg but am looking for a change.

I was set on an S but I was offered a very good discount on a 2015 R instead for a similar price to a 2016 AWD s (around the 77k mark).

I would love the R AWD but there are no discounts as of now since they have just come out and I can't wait any longer!

It's decision time....

Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had my 2015 R for a couple of days now and did a fun drive with my car club this weekend. I led part of the drive and prior to getting the car I was worried that it would be too tail happy like my FR-S and not stable like my F355. I was very pleasantly suprised that it was very well planted and I didn't have to struggle to keep the tail in line on spirited curves. I didn't have it in dynamic mode since it is still in break-in, but the other members were saying I was moving at a decent clip.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Welcome to the Forum. I will simply say, and coming from the owner of a 2015 V6S, and in the words of ex-Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson (driving the V6S convertible) [re] the V8, "at no point while I've been driving this [V6S] have I thought, yeah, but I wish it was a bit more exciting". One might then add his most recent comments [after driving the V8], "it's loud all the time". And while I quite agree that there is quite a difference, I say to each his/her own. Good luck to you! Best regards, RJ52
While I somewhat agree, I think a V6S with AWD will be less fun. The AWD will make it too tame in my opinion. More weighty, no extra power to offset that, and no slip.

If you are going the V6 route then RWD is the way to go.

RobsnTX (04-01-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowkey
Thanks for all the comments.

It will be an everyday car. Driving to work etc There are 2016 awd R's and S's available in England if you look hard enough. The problem is there aren't many and they are being sold very fast.

I currently drive a c63 amg but am looking for a change.

I was set on an S but I was offered a very good discount on a 2015 R instead for a similar price to a 2016 AWD s (around the 77k mark).

I would love the R AWD but there are no discounts as of now since they have just come out and I can't wait any longer!

It's decision time....
I would get the 2015 R if the price is that good.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

If you are coming from a C63 AMG then I'm guessing power is at the top of your priority list, so go with the R. Unless you are done with HP and just want a chance of pace.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
While I somewhat agree, I think a V6S with AWD will be less fun. The AWD will make it too tame in my opinion. More weighty, no extra power to offset that, and no slip.

If you are going the V6 route then RWD is the way to go.
I like your thinking!

Truth is - and I know that the AWD supposedly will drive like a RWD until it's needed - I'm of the mindset (old school if you prefer) that a sports car is meant to be RWD and have enjoyed a little tail spin from time to time under proper and safe conditions. Makes me feel alive. (And, thankfully, I still am).

RobsnTX (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Welcome to the Forum.

I will simply say, and coming from the owner of a 2015 V6S, and in the words of ex-Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson (driving the V6S convertible) [re] the V8, "at no point while I've been driving this [V6S] have I thought, yeah, but I wish it was a bit more exciting".

One might then add his most recent comments [after driving the V8], "it's loud all the time".

And while I quite agree that there is quite a difference, I say to each his/her own.

Good luck to you!

Best regards,
RJ52
yeah but when he then drove the R he was more then amazed by it and said that Jaguar did it right. The V6 is missing the torque that is where the fun in the V8 is, instant thrust.

As for the noise that is just ABSOLUTE nonsense and must not be continued. In normal driving the V8 is clearly quieter than the V6 turning over much lower rpm. It does not get loud until above 3,500-4,000rpm when the V6 also opens up. Under normal driving you never get to those rpms. Under normal driving even in the vert I cannot hear the exhaust at all unless you click the sport exhaust button and then only when you get off the throttle in sport mode or go passed the above mentioned rpm.

Nobody drives their cars like any of the so called "testers" do ... smoking tires and sideways all the time. They are full throttle all the time. Even in my most spirited drives I rarely get to redline any gear. Redline 2nd gear is already in illegal territory.

I am actually shocked anybody in the F-Type section would bring up too much noise, I can see it in an XK vert, different clientel, different driving. But if you argue too much noise ... why did you buy a "sports" car?

My XKR-S has high flow cats, x pipe and straight through mufflers, louder than anything Jaguar has put on the market. It only has a 6 gear automatic. When I cruise on the highway I hear absolutely nothing from the exhaust.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
yeah but when he then drove the R he was more then amazed by it and said that Jaguar did it right. The V6 is missing the torque that is where the fun in the V8 is, instant thrust.

As for the noise that is just ABSOLUTE nonsense and must not be continued. In normal driving the V8 is clearly quieter than the V6 turning over much lower rpm. It does not get loud until above 3,500-4,000rpm when the V6 also opens up. Under normal driving you never get to those rpms. Under normal driving even in the vert I cannot hear the exhaust at all unless you click the sport exhaust button and then only when you get off the throttle in sport mode or go passed the above mentioned rpm.

Nobody drives their cars like any of the so called "testers" do ... smoking tires and sideways all the time. They are full throttle all the time. Even in my most spirited drives I rarely get to redline any gear. Redline 2nd gear is already in illegal territory.

I am actually shocked anybody in the F-Type section would bring up too much noise, I can see it in an XK vert, different clientel, different driving. But if you argue too much noise ... why did you buy a "sports" car?

My XKR-S has high flow cats, x pipe and straight through mufflers, louder than anything Jaguar has put on the market. It only has a 6 gear automatic. When I cruise on the highway I hear absolutely nothing from the exhaust.
Respectfully, thou protest too much. I did say to each his/her own.

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Since when has sensible been anything to do with buying a 4x4? The AWD is practically a slammed Land Rover...great if you want to drive round the Antarctic or 'off-road' somewhere! An F simply is not sensible...

As mentioned before, men with brass ones will go with the RWD V8 - Even the guy that designs them has a RWD version, which says a lot to me!

Get the one your gut is telling you to get!

P.S I wish people would stop quoting Jeremy Clarkson- he's a journalist for Christ's' sake NOT a real driver.

Quick Reply: 2015 R vs 2016 AWD S