F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 R vs 2016 AWD S

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May or may not be relevant to the decision process, but the 2015 RWD R will ultimately be a coveted and collectible car - the 2016+ AWD cars will not. The 2015 is the first Ftype Coupe, the only year of RWD, and with relatively low production the passage of time will put a spotlight on the car. I'm not saying it won't depreciate from where it is now. I think that it's value curve will be similar to the MBZ CLK 63 Black Series.

Last edited by Rockminster; 04-01-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockminster
May or may not be relevant to the decision process, but the 2015 RWD R will ultimately be a coveted and collectible car - the 2016+ AWD cars will not.
This is all speculation, we have no way of knowing this is the case. Especially because noone has driven the AWD version, this cannot be assumed. People 35-40 years from now may not care. I certainly don't prefer the RWD over AWD. You cannot predict collectability, only guess.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
P.S I wish people would stop quoting Jeremy Clarkson- he's a journalist for Christ's' sake NOT a real driver.
One might even argue he's not even that but an entertainer. (I would also suggest there's no such thing as a "fake" driver).

The point is I merely mentioned what he said - blow hard and opinionated that he is - as one point of reference (opinion) and is not meant to be construed that I or anyone agrees with him.

P.S. I love "loud" cars and would surely enjoy an F-Type V8 even though I made a (my) clear choice for the V6S.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

May or may not be relevant to the decision process, but the 2015 RWD R will ultimately be a coveted and collectible car - the 2016+ AWD cars will not. The 2015 is the first Ftype Coupe, the only year of RWD, and with relatively low production the passage of time will put a spotlight on the car. I'm not saying it won't depreciate from where it is now. I think that it's value curve will be similar to the MBZ CLK 63 Black Series.

the RWD R Type is simply not offered in the US currently as a 2016. However in Europe you have the option of RWD and AWD.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Talking

I couldn't agree more.
I predict that the 2WD R will be the 'One to have' and more desirable years down the line. The P7 of course will eclipse the R, but hey, at least we have side windows, windscreen (shield) and creature comforts!

I have ordered a V8R Conv 2WD, as I want fun, as one should be able to have with a sportscar. I'm not interested in offloading so I see no need for a 4 x 4 ;-)

Originally Posted by Schwabe
the RWD R Type is simply not offered in the US currently as a 2016. However in Europe you have the option of RWD and AWD.
This is an interesting point, the answer to which, only the marketers will know, I have heard comments like; ''the yanks aren't that good at going round corners, so they need every assistance that they can have'', ''it helps compensate for the general lack of driving skills''
All of which I am sure are wholly untrue, and which I may have just made up

Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So just a quick update.

I decided to go with the 2015 R and will be picking it up next Friday.
Now I have to twiddle my thumbs and watch endless reviews on youtube. I am rather excited!!! Thanks for all the input and I look forward to sharing more when it comes.

Its good to be bad

Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

FWIW, probably too early to predict if the R RWD will be more coveted than the R AWD. Need to wait on more reviews of how AWD actually performs. If you can turn off AWD but it still gives you AWD for launches...AWD might be the winner in the long run.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

2015 R all the way....

Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

There is no question in my mind that AWD will be the faster car by all measures. For all intents and purposes it will feel like a RWD car until the rears lose traction, and only then will some power be transferred to the front. The amount will depend upon the amount of loss at the rear.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foosh
There is no question in my mind that AWD will be the faster car by all measures. For all intents and purposes it will feel like a RWD car until the rears lose traction, and only then will some power be transferred to the front. The amount will depend upon the amount of loss at the rear.
I agree that the AWD will be the better car and the RWD will most likely be pushed away especially on the R. However, I still feel RW will be prominent on the S models.

AWD makes a MASSIVE difference, especially from a stop still start. You will be able to get that instant power without the wheel spin and not to mention in wet conditions you will have more control.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

It is a legitimate dilemma, and it depends upon what you're looking for. If you want make black stripes, produce tire smoke, or compete in a drifting competition, RWD is your car. If you want to go faster around a track, AWD is a no brainer, not to mention it's foul weather benefits.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is a legitimate dilemma, and it depends upon what you're looking for. If you want make black stripes, produce tire smoke, or compete in a drifting competition, RWD is your car. If you want to go faster around a track, AWD is a no brainer, not to mention it's foul weather benefits.
This is where I'm curious if Jaguar has a mode that completely disables AWD. So there's dynamic, dynamic trac, dyanmic off = RWD only?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
FWIW, probably too early to predict if the R RWD will be more coveted than the R AWD. Need to wait on more reviews of how AWD actually performs. If you can turn off AWD but it still gives you AWD for launches...AWD might be the winner in the long run.
To me turning off AWD isn't desirable. You're carrying a lot of extra weight so you may as well put it to use. Otherwise it will be slower in the corners.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
To me turning off AWD isn't desirable. You're carrying a lot of extra weight so you may as well put it to use. Otherwise it will be slower in the corners.
Since the AWD is controlled by electronically, I would imagine that it MIGHT be possible to turn it off. The ONLY reason I would ever do so though is if I was at some drifting event or wanted to throw down a large smokey patch of burnt rubber.

I don't think FAST and DRIFT go well together. If you can do both in the new AWD it could be a winner in everyones book!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

congrats on your decision! i don't think there was a 'bad' choice to be made...

on the AWD. from what i have read, you will not be able to 'turn off' the AWD.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
This is where I'm curious if Jaguar has a mode that completely disables AWD. So there's dynamic, dynamic trac, dyanmic off = RWD only?
I doubt it. I've had AWD Audis (including an RS4), Mercedes, Subaru's, and my wife had a Mini Countryman AWD for awhile. I've never seen an AWD system that could be "turned-off." Performance-oriented AWD systems and the type of 4-wheel drive systems commonly used for Jeeps, SUVs, and the like are not one in the same.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
This is an interesting point, the answer to which, only the marketers will know, I have heard comments like; ''the yanks aren't that good at going round corners, so they need every assistance that they can have'', ''it helps compensate for the general lack of driving skills''
All of which I am sure are wholly untrue, and which I may have just made up
If you spent any time driving in the States, you'd know it's true.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

The reason I believe we do not have the RWD for 2016 is that we do not order to built in the US generally. It simply is too many models with too many options for dealers to stock. The F-Type is not selling like a 911.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Respectfully, thou protest too much. I did say to each his/her own.

Best regards,
RJ52

What is it with you V6 guys? You have to come out and put down the other model, you all do it. And sorry, you do not get to come back after putting down my choice and say "but I said to each their own"... you don't get to slap somebody and say sorry at the same time and think that somehow neutralizes it ... you did not choose the superior model, just "a" model .... inferiority much?

You definitely should not dish out when it upsets you when in turn somebody calls you out ...

Old 04-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, Swabe.

I went back to try to figure out what RJ's "put down" of the V8 was. What was it? I can't find it.

From my perspective, I suppose V6 guys could ask, "what's up with you V8 guys, always putting down the V6?" However, I wouldn't say "you all do it," as you did.

Quick Reply: 2015 R vs 2016 AWD S