F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015s coming off lease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015s coming off lease?

Hi, long-time lurker here, first time poster.

I have been looking for an appropriate used/PO F-Type for a few months now, and feel like I am going to try and get a 2015 coupe R in firesand. As far as I can tell, people started receiving their 2015 F-type around May 2014, so does that mean I can expect to start seeing 2015s popping up far more frequently at dealerships online as these cars come off of 36-month leases?

Thanks and any advice or recommendations for my search is very much appreciated! I am literally so excited to finally find and own the perfect F-type!

Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Keep in mind that Firesand may be the rarest color - hope you can find one, it looks great.

And welcome to the forum!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Keep in mind that Firesand may be the rarest color - hope you can find one, it looks great.

And welcome to the forum!
+1. A quick look on Car Guru shows only 11 Firesand out of 300+ F-types for sale nationwide.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Oh don't worry, I am well aware that firesand is rare. Luckily, I am a (for the most part) patient man and am willing to wait for the perfect car to come along. Of those 11 firesand available on CarGurus, almost every single one is a 2014. This makes me feel that once the 2015s come off of their leases, there should be at least a few firesands to choose from (and hopefully a price drop with all the increased supply!). I'm just curious when exactly I should expect this rush to begin, I believe it should be soon, am I right?

Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Somewhere there must be a stat on lease vs buy of f type, but the leases weren't great for jags then and maybe even now.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Somewhere there must be a stat on lease vs buy of f type, but the leases weren't great for jags then and maybe even now.
what do you mean exactly?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

It was rare because people didn't want to buy it. That is an argument in your favor when negotiating the price down.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Atrus
what do you mean exactly?
I meant that there may not be a lot of 2015 f types coming off of lease. Was curious as to how many f types were/are actually leased?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Suaro
It was rare because people didn't want to buy it. That is an argument in your favor when negotiating the price down.
clever! I didn't think of looking at it that way, only in the way that is in the dealer's favor (rarity increasing price). That is a good comeback, I will definitely use it, thanks!

Old 05-02-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
I meant that there may not be a lot of 2015 f types coming off of lease. Was curious as to how many f types were/are actually leased?
That is a good question, one I would love to know the answer to. While you're at it, how about a histogram of when these leases will end

Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 212 Likes on 189 Posts

There is a stat somewhere as I was able to find out Maswerati is 85% leased! I'm one of the 15%.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
There is a stat somewhere as I was able to find out Maswerati is 85% leased! I'm one of the 15%.
As an actuary, I applaud your decision to own vs lease xD. This is why I am buying used instead of leasing!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus
As an actuary, I applaud your decision to own vs lease xD. This is why I am buying used instead of leasing!
I'm always confused about the animosity against leases. Just think of them as a 4-6 year car note with an option to walk away after 36 months. It keeps your cash flow more open vs. large down payment, and removes downside in the event of a resale value killing occurrence like an accident. And with lease rates and incentives as great as they've been lately, it's a cheap way to eliminate a lot of the risk of purchasing a car.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

yes mines a 2015 and coming off lease in november, its rhodium silver. I think the firesand is ugly. i will once again likely lease an upgraded, new f type.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Harsh critiscm of firesand. To each his own. Maybe someone with ties to JLR can shed some light on percentage of leased vehicles.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lusiphur
I'm always confused about the animosity against leases. Just think of them as a 4-6 year car note with an option to walk away after 36 months. It keeps your cash flow more open vs. large down payment, and removes downside in the event of a resale value killing occurrence like an accident. And with lease rates and incentives as great as they've been lately, it's a cheap way to eliminate a lot of the risk of purchasing a car.
Nah I agree, there are definitely solid reasons to lease rather than buy used. Whenever I consider it as an option, though, there's a voice in my head telling me the lack of equity is irresponsible (even though as you mentioned you skip out on risk and some of the incredibly disappointing depreciation). Definitely just a personal opinion by any stretch of it.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by myironlung
yes mines a 2015 and coming off lease in november, its rhodium silver. I think the firesand is ugly. i will once again likely lease an upgraded, new f type.
hey, the more people who hate on the color, the less desirable it is, and thus cheaper! Bring on the hate

Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The wisdom of car ownership is not defined by the financing methodology, but by the term of ownership. Unloading the car after only 3 years saddles you with a Lion's share of the depreciation, whether you buy or lease. Cash on hand, willingness to pay a bit more to reduce backend risk, ability to keep the mileage down, all factor into which payment methodology is best for you. The ability to get Uncle Sam to make half the lease payments as a business expense makes that option a clear winner.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Agree with Unhinged! My own experience is an example. I always owned, until after retirement. I got tired of feeling cheated on a trade or the hassle of selling to an individual. Hell, you cannot even trust a cashier's check now; you must go with the buyer to a bank to make sure his payment is good. There are other ways but it is just a hassle.
My last owned fun car was a C6 and I got mod fever, talk about sinking a lot of disposable income into the car. So after that I decided that I could avoid all of the hassle and all of the mod temptation and expense by leasing. First a Porsche and now my Jaguar. No regrets. Sure, I want a good deal, but I like leasing. And, whoever gets my end-of-lease car gets a nice CPO.

Larry

Old 05-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I looked at leasing but in Texas you pay sales tax on the whole purchase (which on the back of my envelope would account for at least $125/month on a 36 lease), not the lease payment which doesn't make it quite so attractive compared to buying gently used when someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit. I took a hit on my traded XFR due to the outstanding airbag recall but the offset in sales tax helped ease that pain a little. And F-Type coupe. Jaguar offering a six year transferrable warranty definitely sweetens the pot along with free scheduled maintenance.

Last edited by stmcknig; 05-03-2017 at 07:49 AM.