Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:22 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2016 Camaro SS

Has anyone driven it?

I saw the motortrend head2head, got more curious and saw a couple more videos and reviews, and it looks fun.

It sounds like a cheap alternative to the F type R. Sure, a little slower, less luxurious, not as pretty, but with a few more tech features.
A heavy v8 with good handling, supposedly a little bit of understeer, and a sweet exhaust.
Bargain bin F type R?
Agree? Disagree?

Old 06-04-2016, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I think the mustang is a better looking car, but don't have any experience with either.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:49 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I still consider the F-Type a sports car, not so for the SS.

Larry

Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Dislike, have not driven tho.

Really don't like the modern angular 'transformer' retro re-hash of the old 60's design - or any of the other (Dodge) retro re-do's.

Having said that, its amazing that length, width and weight are quite similar to the f-type despite it looking about twice as big in all dimensions.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Completely different class of car, plus the F is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced.
Lawrence

Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I think the mustang is a better looking car, but don't have any experience with either.
+1. The styling gimmicks, lines and creases are over the top on the Camaro. The Mustang has sleek, smooth curves. The GT isn't much of a contender for the SS but the GT350 (either base or R) would be a superior choice on almost all fronts. If the price of the F-Type had been a hurdle and I had to spend a third less, the Mustang would have been a preferred option over any of the Camaros.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I still consider the F-Type a sports car, not so for the SS.

Larry
Agreed; the Corvette is a better comparison to the F type. The Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are retro musclecars and of the three I think the Mustang is the best and most refined. That said, I'm a Mopar guy and toyed with the idea of a Hellcat for about 2 seconds before realizing that I wanted something much nicer, more upscale and less common. If I was thinking more about brawn and performance than a GT sportscar, I would have bought a Viper.

Dave

Old 06-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've driven both the V-8 Mustang Performance Package and Camaro SS.
Mustang is very obviously a better-looking car, inside and out.New Mustang, especially compared to the older models is a terrific GT car; sounds good, goes reasonably fast and the manual is not bad. However, the actual quality of materials is very sub-par. Also, the Mustang, while a good-handling car overall tends to lean a bit much for its aspirations. Nothing wrong with that, since my 2015 XF V8 leans as well
However the Camaro...wow, what a chassis!
I liked it almost as much as I liked the M4 and the kind of performance you get for mid-$40sK is amazing. Ride/handing compromise is fantastic, the engine sounds very good and the manual is a bit better than the Mustang's.
While the materials quality is much better than in the 'Stang, the design REALLY lets the car down, inside and out. And (surprisingly), I thought the Chevy small block felt a bit...lazy. It is supposed to, I guess.
However, the driving experience is second to none in this price range.
BMW 235i/M2 are closest, I guess, but more expensive. Also, the 2-series is not exactly a looker, especially in M2 form.
All in all, the V-8 Camaro offers a great driving experience...IF you can tolerate the looks

Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
I've driven both the V-8 Mustang Performance Package and Camaro SS.
Mustang is very obviously a better-looking car, inside and out.New Mustang, especially compared to the older models is a terrific GT car; sounds good, goes reasonably fast and the manual is not bad. However, the actual quality of materials is very sub-par. Also, the Mustang, while a good-handling car overall tends to lean a bit much for its aspirations. Nothing wrong with that, since my 2015 XF V8 leans as well
However the Camaro...wow, what a chassis!
I liked it almost as much as I liked the M4 and the kind of performance you get for mid-$40sK is amazing. Ride/handing compromise is fantastic, the engine sounds very good and the manual is a bit better than the Mustang's.
While the materials quality is much better than in the 'Stang, the design REALLY lets the car down, inside and out. And (surprisingly), I thought the Chevy small block felt a bit...lazy. It is supposed to, I guess.
However, the driving experience is second to none in this price range.
BMW 235i/M2 are closest, I guess, but more expensive. Also, the 2-series is not exactly a looker, especially in M2 form.
All in all, the V-8 Camaro offers a great driving experience...IF you can tolerate the looks
Nice!
I'm actually OK with the looks if everything else is as you said. I don't think it's pretty, but I don't think it's ugly either. I'm not really considering the car, I'm just glad an American car could be to my liking.

Maybe if I need something a little cheaper in the future...

Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

It's great that it handles well. I thought I heard the same about the mustang performance models though.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Agreed; the Corvette is a better comparison to the F type. The Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are retro musclecars and of the three I think the Mustang is the best and most refined. That said, I'm a Mopar guy and toyed with the idea of a Hellcat for about 2 seconds before realizing that I wanted something much nicer, more upscale and less common. If I was thinking more about brawn and performance than a GT sportscar, I would have bought a Viper.

Dave
I have a 71 Charger for the brawn with a rebuilt 440 from just a block with 3 inch exhaust. Problem is you can put it into a wall if your not careful, no nannies, no sport tuned suspension, original brakes.......nostalgia at its most brutal.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:25 PM
DFW
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My problem with these cars is that you see them everywhere. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger/Charger - these things are on every corner. The high performance models come with some serious horsepower, but there is so little to differentiate the base line vehicle appearance from the high end model, that it lessens any thought of exclusivity or uniqueness.

Good,solid cars - just an awful lot of them on the road.

The following 2 users liked this post by DFW:
Grumpy Finn (06-05-2016), uncheel (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think Jaguar as a brand is going after your average Camaro or Mustang owner and vice-versa. Same with Corvette although purely from a performance standpoint most of the cars and brands mentioned in this thread overlap.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by DFW
My problem with these cars is that you see them everywhere. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger/Charger - these things are on every corner. The high performance models come with some serious horsepower, but there is so little to differentiate the base line vehicle appearance from the high end model, that it lessens any thought of exclusivity or uniqueness.

Good,solid cars - just an awful lot of them on the road.
Haha yeah, add the German 3 to that list if you're in the bay area. Porsche, BMW's, and Mercedes all over the place. Actually, American cars are less common around here.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
the GT350 (either base or R) would be a superior choice on almost all fronts. If the price of the F-Type had been a hurdle and I had to spend a third less.
GT350 isn't that much cheaper than base F-type.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I have a 71 Charger for the brawn with a rebuilt 440 from just a block with 3 inch exhaust. Problem is you can put it into a wall if your not careful, no nannies, no sport tuned suspension, original brakes.......nostalgia at its most brutal.
Cool; I spent 10 years rebuilding my '70 440-6 Superbee....stock appearing but set up to race in the PSMCDR series. Home - Yeap, it's stock

Yep, it's ....raw for back of a better word. The most complex electrical device on the car is the AM radio! LOL. .....I guess that's why it weighs almost the exact same weight as my all aluminum F type....but that's another topic.

I usually drive my RWD V8 F type with traction control turned off. Some here never take the DCS off and probably think I'm crazy but the F type is FAR more controllable than the Superbee even without the nannies on.

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-06-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I drove a 2011 SS Camaro until I sold it last year. As others have said, it is a modern *muscle* car, not a sports car. And as such, it is brilliant, outperforming the modern Mustang in almost every category.

The best thing about the modern Camaros is the GM LS3 engine (now the LT1). The aftermarket for it surpasses Ford in every way. Stock, mine was pushing 400bhp. It got 28mph highway. The new LT1 pushes 450bhp. But they're not just straight-line, but handle amazingly well, with factory options to make it even better.

Since I'm a drag racer, my 11 SS went from 13.2 in the 1/4 mile to 10.3 @ 133 for under $10,000. It was pushing 900bhp (720 at the wheels) on the stock bottom end.

If modern muscle is your thing, the Camaro is the best value for the money.

Padre

Last edited by Padre; 06-04-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think two sports cars could be more dissimilar.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
GT350 isn't that much cheaper than base F-type.
Yes, but a third less than my F-Type.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Wait for the ZL-1. 640hp with a platform that will support it better than the previous generation. I will be taking a close look at the ZL-1 convertible. Not to replace my F Type but as a possible addition. Right now I'm torn between the ZL-1 or the Challenger Hellcat. I want a modern day muscle car to go along with the F Type and the Corvette I already have.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Camaro SS-img_1255.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2016 Camaro SS