F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F Convertible Top

The convertible top button doesn't automatically open/close the top when I press it. I have to physically hold the button down otherwise I'll will stop moving the top. Just started out of nowhere. No other issues or warnings. Suggestions?

Old 05-11-2024, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

I have always had to hold the switch to open or close the top on mine. If you let it go going up or down it stops.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Same here - must keep the button depressed on MY21 vert.
Perhaps your switch was sticky before and is now loosened.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:30 AM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Hec2016
The convertible top button doesn't automatically open/close the top when I press it. I have to physically hold the button down otherwise I'll will stop moving the top. Just started out of nowhere. No other issues or warnings. Suggestions?
In the US at least, all F-Type convertible top buttons MUST be held down for the entire open/close cycle. This is almost universal now across all makes because the lawyers say injuries can occur when someone can stick their hand or body in the way of a roof that is opening/closing by itself. So for liability reasons, these tops don't have one-touch operation.

However, there are aftermarket products that allow/restore this feature. One popular one is the smartTOP module that allows one-touch roof open/close operations, among other features. Many members here, including myself, have them and I absolutely love mine as it makes the roof operate like it should have from the factory. If you bought your car used, it's possible the previous owner installed one of these modules and you've been using it unknowingly this whole time until for some reason it either stopped working or was reset to factory defaults. I can't speak for other products, but the smartTOP module lives underneath the small driver's side roof flap at the side of the roof. If you cycle the top open where the flaps come up, the roof stows, STOP the movement (by taking your finger off the switch) when the side flaps are still in their UP position and look down inside to see if you see a small box (about the size of a matchstick box) tucked in beside or under the protective plastic wiring loom shield). You should have the car and ignition off if you're trying to stick your hands or head down in there looking for safety reasons so the top doesn't unexpectedly move on you. You may also see a green blinking or steady light from the area which may also indicate the presence of a smartTOP. If it's there, then your car was outfitted with one at some point and you may just need to reset it or check the wiring connections.

There may be other manufacturers out there that make similar products, but smartTOP is the only one I'm familiar with (and *highly* recommend).

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 05-11-2024 at 11:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
Carbuff2 (05-12-2024), DJS (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thank you, I'll look for that switch. Yes I did buy it used.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
In the US at least, all F-Type convertible top buttons MUST be held down for the entire open/close cycle. This is almost universal now across all makes because the lawyers say injuries can occur when someone can stick their hand or body in the way of a roof that is opening/closing by itself. So for liability reasons, these tops don't have one-touch operation.

However, there are aftermarket products that allow/restore this feature. One popular one is the smartTOP module that allows one-touch roof open/close operations, among other features. Many members here, including myself, have them and I absolutely love mine as it makes the roof operate like it should have from the factory. If you bought your car used, it's possible the previous owner installed one of these modules and you've been using it unknowingly this whole time until for some reason it either stopped working or was reset to factory defaults. I can't speak for other products, but the smartTOP module lives underneath the small driver's side roof flap at the side of the roof. If you cycle the top open where the flaps come up, the roof stows, STOP the movement (by taking your finger off the switch) when the side flaps are still in their UP position and look down inside to see if you see a small box (about the size of a matchstick box) tucked in beside or under the protective plastic wiring loom shield). You should have the car and ignition off if you're trying to stick your hands or head down in there looking for safety reasons so the top doesn't unexpectedly move on you. You may also see a green blinking or steady light from the area which may also indicate the presence of a smartTOP. If it's there, then your car was outfitted with one at some point and you may just need to reset it or check the wiring connections.

There may be other manufacturers out there that make similar products, but smartTOP is the only one I'm familiar with (and *highly* recommend).
Great tip, thanks for that!

Old 05-11-2024, 04:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Even better, the SmarTop controller lets you raise or lower the roof and/or raise/lower the windows using the remote, though it’s a bit convoluted depending on model year.
https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/i...de=view&id=142