Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-Type Carplay options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 F-Type Carplay options?

Hey folks,

Anyone know if you can update the firmware for Apple Carplay? Or do i have to get a new screen?

Any advice would be great,

Happy Holidays

Old 11-29-2023, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You can't get CarPlay on the Jag 2016 system. But several companies make plug in options to add the features - eg UAD. Search on here for details of people doing this. I don't think it changes the screen but it involves plugging in some modules that feed into the screen with a CarPlay interface.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:43 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the UAD system in my car. it works great and offers wireless Carplay. Took about 30 minutes to install and if aren't handy with that sort of thing car audio install shop would have no problem doing it. Its been installed for about 6 months now with no problems at all.
https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wire...ype-2013-2017/
And for the install

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...pments-262239/

Last edited by Tracy Rominger; 12-01-2023 at 09:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tracy Rominger:
jcb-memphis (12-02-2023), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the UAD unit, and when it works, it’s great. I have had problems with two units (actually bought a second unit from UAD when my original unit got lost in customs during the return/replace process). But I may be in the minority since I have an 18 with the Harmon unit, that weird year that could have had either screen from the factory. I continually reach out to UAD, but they don’t reply very quickly, and have pretty much left me dead in the water, which is a shame since I’ve bought two units now. Mine will crash to a black screen when starting up the car 90% of the time, requiring a reboot of their system. No updates or trouble shooting has helped, and I think it’s something in their (UAD) boot up process software that doesn’t play nice for the 18+ models, which are such a small number of their sales, they are not doing anything to address it.

The following users liked this post:
CarlB (07-08-2024)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed this unit in my 2016 F-Type, MY 2017, Harman 8-inch, and I'm really happy with it.
The only thing I don't like is making calls via Bluetooth, the voice output is muffled and comes through all the speakers - but I can live with that as I don't make calls in the car very often.

Last edited by sweiss; 12-03-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2017 convertible ‘S’ with the Bosch unit. I fitted the generic unit off AliExpress similar to the one that someone else in this thread provided a link. It’s essentially exactly what the GTA car kits company uses. As mine is a convertible it was a real pain in the rear to get to the connections behind the seats on the head/ amplifier as the whole back panel , rollover bars etc had to come out as opposed to a coup where there is a small removable access panel. Anyway, if you get that one, you will need to unwind some of the insulation on the interface wiring loom as supplied at the Y junction where it plugs into the Ali express interface unit to get yourself another 6 inches of length and then rewrap it, otherwise, it’s not really quite long enough in the F-Type application. However, the unit sits tucked in enclosed alongside of the transmission tunnel and I have found that it does get a little warm at 110F and I’m not sure how long it will last. Everything else works really well, uses the vehicles microphone and rear camera. Only drawback I found is you have to forgo the personalized Jaguar ‘dynamic drive’ if your car has that feature and just go with the factory set up that sets everything to dynamic (throttle response during suspension.) otherwise, the touch screen becomes unresponsive. It took me a while to figure this one out.

If I were to do this again, I think I would pay a little bit more money, and go for the kit with the bigger 10” screen that uses the original display’s circuit board and requires a bit of disassembly, but only requires removal and modification tothe central display screen unit

Interface Loom as supplier

Supplied loom unwound to gain extra length

Old 01-31-2024, 10:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Simonusa0 You have the exact same vehicle that I do with the 2nd gen Bosch unit and I installed a very similar ali express CarPlay box earlier this year. Instead of putting the CarPlay box in the center console, I put it behind the head unit in the dash and got my Aliexpress seller to make and send me an extension cable for plugging into the IAM behind the arm rest. No real advantage to my setup vs yours, just sharing for reference.

One question: do you play the CarPlay audio through the car routed through the AUX input or do you use bluetooth? Before I even installed my CarPlay kit my car had a really loud and annoying buzzing sound when using the 3.5mm AUX input and after installing the CarPlay kit that issue still persists. I've tried searching for a loose ground everywhere, and I also tried figuring out which cable in the wiring loom was the AUX audio and adding a ferrite core to it but nothing worked.

Eventually I gave up and I just use my iPhone -> car bluetooth directly and CarPlay still works great. My only issue is that verbal navigation instructions on google and apple maps don't play via bluetooth but route via the CarPlay -> AUX so I can't hear them. Music plays fine over bluetooth though and is controllable via the CarPlay touchscreen and also via the steering wheel controls.

TLDR: Sorry for the rant, does your car exhibit a buzzing/hissing sound when playing audio over the AUX input (with or without CarPlay)?

thanks,
Addison

Old 01-31-2024, 03:29 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Are you using a ground loop isolator just before you plug into the aux input. Only $5 or so online

Old 01-31-2024, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Borbor Yep I've tried a store-bought ground loop isolator, as well as a ferrite core on the whole AUX as well as on the individual L & R channel wires. Thanks for the suggestion though

Old 01-31-2024, 04:29 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Sorry I didn’t read closely enough. You did mention the aux was buzzing even before install your CarPlay and I missed that. So obviously your aux connection is kaput. You can apparently try cleaning out your aux socket with compressed air, presumed you have tried several different cables already. You could try eliminating the socket by desoldering and connecting in a new socket or splicing in further up stream. Won’t help if problem is upstream of your splice in though but if it is probably not worth the time and effort if it isn’t the socket

Old 02-01-2024, 08:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KimboSlice
@Simonusa0 You have the exact same vehicle that I do with the 2nd gen Bosch unit and I installed a very similar ali express CarPlay box earlier this year. Instead of putting the CarPlay box in the center console, I put it behind the head unit in the dash and got my Aliexpress seller to make and send me an extension cable for plugging into the IAM behind the arm rest. No real advantage to my setup vs yours, just sharing for reference.

One question: do you play the CarPlay audio through the car routed through the AUX input or do you use bluetooth? Before I even installed my CarPlay kit my car had a really loud and annoying buzzing sound when using the 3.5mm AUX input and after installing the CarPlay kit that issue still persists. I've tried searching for a loose ground everywhere, and I also tried figuring out which cable in the wiring loom was the AUX audio and adding a ferrite core to it but nothing worked.

Eventually I gave up and I just use my iPhone -> car bluetooth directly and CarPlay still works great. My only issue is that verbal navigation instructions on google and apple maps don't play via bluetooth but route via the CarPlay -> AUX so I can't hear them. Music plays fine over bluetooth though and is controllable via the CarPlay touchscreen and also via the steering wheel controls.

TLDR: Sorry for the rant, does your car exhibit a buzzing/hissing sound when playing audio over the AUX input (with or without CarPlay)?

thanks,
Addison
Hi Addison,
I have no problems with buzzing noises. The interface box uses the aux input to the head unit I believe. I do not need to plug my phone into any cable it connects automatically via either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I’m not exactly sure which one it uses the sound is really good, so I have no issues.
Touching the NAV button in the car will toggle between CarPlay and the normal system. It’s using the jaguar navigation input so I do lose the Jaguar navigation in lieu of Apple Maps or Waze etc. but that’s not a problem because the OEM navigation is crap anyway!

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-01-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Simonusa0 I have a 2015 F-Type S with the Bosch unit, and I too purchased a Carplay Android Auto module from China via AutoABC. Despite having tried various dip switch settings and having Factory Setup set to ON, I only get a black black screen when I press the NAV button to switch to the module. I've reconnected all of the connections multiple times, and as stated above tried a plethora of dip switch setting permutations and made sure Factory Setup is set to ON.
​​​​​​
Did you ever encounter this issue?

I saw this comment in your post, and was wondering what all you have done to get your unit both functioning and stable --
Only drawback I found is you have to forgo the personalized Jaguar ‘dynamic drive’ if your car has that feature and just go with the factory set up that sets everything to dynamic (throttle response during suspension.) otherwise, the touch screen becomes unresponsive
I've been working with AutoABC support for a week now and nothing has worked.

Any suggestions you can provide is greatly appreciated.
​​​​​​
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dilbertprogrammer; 07-07-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:22 AM
dsp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Camera

Hi - I've successfully installed the Harman Carplay module in my 2017 3S model. I've a rear camera to install but no idea how to connect. Looks like it needs a "reverse/backup" trigger. Any ideas where to connect