F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F Type first impressions + audio issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F Type first impressions + audio issue

I picked up a 2016 S AWD last month and generally love the car. My initial impressions are more about general usability and quirks, with one significant nuisance on the speaker quality (more below). Summary:

+: beautiful aesthetics, acceleration, road feel, technology, pano roof
-: very poorly designed user experience with infotainment unit, inexcusably cramped cabin for a two-seater in a car this size, engine auto-restart is set to on by default and doesn't remember last setting when the car is turned-on; speakers don't do the audio system justice...

More on the last point...

I'm not an audiophile but I do enjoy listening to music while driving (yes, I know... the exhaust note is sufficient music to most drivers' ears . If I increase the bass (once I find the option, deeply embedded in audio settings - takes three clicks to get to these - not fun/easy while driving on a highway) to anything more than say 10% or higher, the rear speakers sound as if they're blown. The distortion is horrible, and the only way to get rid of it is to dial back the bass to less than 10% (regardless of whether I choose Meridian/DTS/etc. or the music I'm playing - be it classical or hip-hop).

I took the car to the dealer and was told that their "computer didn't find any faults with your sound system." I pushed back sharing that you don't need fancy AI to recognize the problem, and I'm disappointed that a $95K car would have such a bad speaker system. They checked again without the computer - this time just the technician's ears - and agreed there's a problem. A new rear speaker is on order. I hope that fixes things but I've read elsewhere that others also have had poor sound performance. Anyone here encounter the same issue?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:59 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Crod,

Welcome to the F-Type club!

Unfortunately the speaker issues are well documented, I'm currently chasing my own warranty claim for my MY2016 V6.

Some more info here, but basically the fix appears to be dynamat (and in your case, a new speaker as well...I'm waiting for new door speakers as they're blown in mine):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8/#post1298831

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...stereo-149010/

Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Pull the plug to disable auto-start. There is a thread that shows how for MY2016 cars that don't have the second battery. Works fine and no error codes.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, this is has been documented for all 3 model years, and there are literally hundreds of posts on this issue. The problems occur on too many cars.

However, the majority of cars seem to be fine. My '14 sounds very impressive with bass and subwoofer set at the 50-60% levels. Very loud, thumping bass produces no vibration, and at high audio volumes, there is no speaker distortion. My car has needed no audio fixes.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, this is has been documented for all 3 model years, and there are literally hundreds of posts on this issue. The problems occur on too many cars.

However, the majority of cars seem to be fine. My '14 sounds very impressive with bass and subwoofer set at the 50-60% levels. Very loud, thumping bass produces no vibration, and at high audio volumes, there is no speaker distortion. My car has needed no audio fixes.
I also concur. I couldn't be happier with the audio system. I do use it occasionally on my long commute to work and it sounds great.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the 2015 base sound system (S V8 convertible) and threw in the towel and had the speakers replaced with the sub and installed new amp. I have never been happier. Now if I could only get rid of that lag when I punch it at higher speeds. No problem off the line.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmarton
I have the 2015 base sound system (S V8 convertible) and threw in the towel and had the speakers replaced with the sub and installed new amp. I have never been happier. Now if I could only get rid of that lag when I punch it at higher speeds. No problem off the line.
I am another one that hates the sound system on my FTR. I am guessing its because I grew up entering my cars in sound competitions with crazy MB Quartz sound systems and I have a pretty awesome Bowers Wilkins home setup. So I'm a bit spoiled. I was excited when I found out Jaguar normally had B&W systems but ours has a Meridian for some reason ?

I would love if you could let me know which setup you went with? Currently I feel like all the of the mid levels and lots of highs are coming directly from the center speaker on the dash which sounds like there is only 1 speaker on.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm satisfied with system but not thrilled, not as good as Harman Logic 7 in last Merc. But compared to premium in our Maserati this is an audiophiles dream.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Hi Crod,

Welcome to the F-Type club!

Unfortunately the speaker issues are well documented, I'm currently chasing my own warranty claim for my MY2016 V6.

Some more info here, but basically the fix appears to be dynamat (and in your case, a new speaker as well...I'm waiting for new door speakers as they're blown in mine):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8/#post1298831

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...stereo-149010/
@CaptainHam

What warranty claim are you referring to? Did you correct something on your own like dynomat?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Love my 770 watt stereo. I can play Fat Freddy's Drop at pain treshold with no distortion. I had to replace all ten speakers in my BMW with MB Quarts neodymium speakers to get decent sound but this system rocks. You do have to set the fader and and equalizers however,

Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60in4
@CaptainHam

What warranty claim are you referring to? Did you correct something on your own like dynomat?
For now, new front door speakers as they sound blown. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll be trying to get Dynamat fitted.

Although I've been waiting 3 weeks for speakers to arrive at the dealer so far and still no sign...

Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a search you will find numerous posts on the audio issue. You need to be persistent in your requests that the problem be fixed. I was fortunate to have a dealer service manager that was devoted to customer satisfaction. She promised to do whatever was necessary to fix the problem and I eventually had a sound system with which I was happy. See my post and other posts in the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post1255794

Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2016 R with the same stereo issues and have had the amplifier and both sub woofers replace with no improvement. Have been working with Jag customer service and they have been intervening with the dealer. Now the the engineer who went out informed the dealership this noise is normal for the car (of course then why did they replace the above mentioned parts). I asked them to make the modification listed on the most recent service bulletin and they have asked me to come back in to discuss the situation. So far I really have been happy with the dealership and Jag customer service and hope we are not at the point were they tell me I have to live with it. This is my daily driver and need the stereo to function like it should.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 01:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by martybmw
I have a 2016 R with the same stereo issues and have had the amplifier and both sub woofers replace with no improvement. Have been working with Jag customer service and they have been intervening with the dealer. Now the the engineer who went out informed the dealership this noise is normal for the car (of course then why did they replace the above mentioned parts). I asked them to make the modification listed on the most recent service bulletin and they have asked me to come back in to discuss the situation. So far I really have been happy with the dealership and Jag customer service and hope we are not at the point were they tell me I have to live with it. This is my daily driver and need the stereo to function like it should.
Same here after taking it to the dealer today, they tried to convince me it's normal.
Did you get this resolved?