Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-Type R: RWD or AWD if you have the choice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 F-Type R: RWD or AWD if you have the choice

Hi all,

I am in the process of ordering a 2016 F-Type R and I am on the fence regarding choosing between 2016 R AWD vs RWD given that I still have a choice between them as I am not located in the US. I care more about the performance of the car such as straight line performance and riding in twisty roads, and safety. I wonder if the AWD is much better than RWD in these aspects, in order to justify the extra weight and cost. I going to track the car once or twice a year only. Additionally, it only rains 6 or 7 days a year here.

I went to the dealer yesterday to configure the car (we have an exclusive JLR dealer in the country). The salesman told me that all the F-types they ordered are RWD, and so far I could be the only one asking for AWD. He said that he will have to check the availability and price of the AWD and get back to me mid next week. He hinted that the price difference could be 8K or more.

I was planning to order the car at the start of this month as I was waiting for more reviews for the AWD R from magazines or owners in this forum, but unfortunately, reviews have been rare so far. I read other threads as well but did not get a conclusive answer.

So do you think that AWD is worth it? or should I go ahead with the RWD?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Totti
So do you think that AWD is worth it? or should I go ahead with the RWD?
RWD probably provides plenty of traction to get full benefit from the V6 models if you are not exposing the car to inclement weather. However, there is no question that the V8 models can benefit substantially from AWD for both straight-line acceleration and performance through the turn. The debate will revolve around "fun factor".

Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to hold off on buying a car but upon hearing the RWD for the R was going away I decided to take the plunge and buy the 2015 R. I have had both AWD and RWD cars and mostly prefer the RWD although my 2004 STi was a lot of fun but they don't seem to make AWD cars like that anymore. For a tenth or two in acceleration I decided it's not worth it. The R with RWD is just stupid fun!

The following users liked this post:
RobsnTX (05-19-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm probably biased (having a RWD R), so take it for what it's worth, but I feel the AWD is an attempt to tame an untamable cat. Accept that the RWD R is a beast of a car, have fun with it.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I drive pretty hard through some curvy canyons and not once did I think "boy I wish I had AWD." I actually came from an AWD car and switched to the F-type. I have more confidence in the corners with the F-type than I did in the Audi. I think the smokey tire reviews give the impression that the RWD R is constantly out of control which in reality it is extremely composed. That doesn't mean you can drive like a maniac and expect it to keep all four wheels in line of course. There are always ways to get the tail to kick out a bit.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I drive pretty hard through some curvy canyons and not once did I think "boy I wish I had AWD." I actually came from an AWD car and switched to the F-type. I have more confidence in the corners with the F-type than I did in the Audi. I think the smokey tire reviews give the impression that the RWD R is constantly out of control which in reality it is extremely composed. That doesn't mean you can drive like a maniac and expect it to keep all four wheels in line of course. There are always ways to get the tail to kick out a bit.
the chassis is very easy to control. it slides very nicely!

Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Like LynxFX, I came from an AWD Audi (RS5), and have found the RWD F Type R infinitely more fun to drive. It is excellent in the handling department, and is not tail happy unless you choose to make it so. In my RS5, it was very difficult to deliberately get it out of shape which took a bit of the joy of driving out of it.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the RWD V8S and it can be driven at truly frightening speeds on corners without getting sideways.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

this is something i've been pondering for a while now, and have decided to go with the rwd for a few reasons

chief being that im coming out of an awd r35 gtr with 800hp. nothing i buy for sane money will match it's grip and acceleration, so i figure ill go for something different, and the rwd suits the noise and hot rod character of the car

driving the rwd coupe demo on some b and c roads, i really liked the front end and concerned the extra weight on the front axle will make it push or hamper change of direction

i drove the rwd in very slippery wet roads and felt the car had more than enough grip when driven sensibly. you'd have to be doing some stupid things mid corner to get into trouble

also the price saving going from awd to rwd here in aus is essentially the price of the ceramics option. since i spend most of my driving tackling b and c hill roads (what californians call canyons), id rather the reduction in unsprung weight in the chassis than the extra grip off a corner

Name:  48168988-A7F9-4F61-8AD4-EA839E95FF85_zpsrny9c2yw.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  2.80 MB

Last edited by domino_z; 05-16-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:07 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

When I herd the 2016 R would only be offered in the US in AWD I was thrilled I had purchased the 2015 R with RWD. To me a sports car should have RWD and keep you on edge. I know there are many advocates of AWD but I am not one of them and the R is very manageable with RWD.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
To me a sports car should have RWD ..
Some of us would also declare that a sports car should have a manual transmission. These of course are all personal opinions. However, if Elon Musk and Google have their way, I think we all will be lamenting that sports cars should be driven with human input. That option may (no...will) be taken from us some day.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Some of us would also declare that a sports car should have a manual transmission. These of course are all personal opinions. However, if Elon Musk and Google have their way, I think we all will be lamenting that sports cars should be driven with human input. That option may (no...will) be taken from us some day.
We can't let that happen. Some how I doubt if they would give up their personal freedoms, but will want the rest of us too. Typical leftist hypocrites.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCalJagS:
jetsetter883 (06-04-2021), Mulmur (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Politics aside, people already buy Lexus' which is like driving a sofa, so they will love automated cars. I had a small life time of sticks based on the fun and the fact they performed better. Today they do not perform better, the modern high performance auto manuals are faster! Starting with my '05 Audi TT 3.2 dual clutch, the first widely available, I have seen no performance reason to have a stick. When I manually shift the Jag I feel plenty involved!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by bjg625
Politics aside, people already buy Lexus' which is like driving a sofa, so they will love automated cars. I had a small life time of sticks based on the fun and the fact they performed better. Today they do not perform better, the modern high performance auto manuals are faster! Starting with my '05 Audi TT 3.2 dual clutch, the first widely available, I have seen no performance reason to have a stick. When I manually shift the Jag I feel plenty involved!

I had the 2008 version of that same configuration in the Audi and have tried the dual clutch in the new R8 and it is amazing. Though our transmission feels just as good to me. On the AWD if it was like the Audi I'd lust for it but it isn't, feels like an afterthought for snow and I have no wish to drive a car this powerful in the snow (don't want the risks of damaging the bodywork, buying snow tires, and I'm sure as hell not putting the top down). So I'm really happy with my car which is why I'm not getting a new one. Now if they give it a better AWD or especially if they finally install the electric pass boost (and it works) I could be motivated to trade up. It would be wicked cool to have a red button on the steering wheel that gave me an extra 150 to 200 ponies (though I'd likely be imagining it was a machine gun trigger).

http://www.hybridcars.com/video-jagu...car-prototype/

Last edited by enderle; 05-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
When I manually shift the Jag I feel plenty involved!
Just not enough for me. There really isn't much point in arguing religion.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:34 AM

Thanks guys for all your insightful responses. I guess I will go with rwd after all. Now I just have to make the order and painfully wait for delivery. The salesman told me it will take 5-6 months for the car to be delivered from the time of order.

I will choose salsa red. Camera red is still not available for order.

Last edited by Totti; 05-18-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 PM

The dealer quoted me 10k for the awd !!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Can you still order Salsa Red? I love it.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Can you still order Salsa Red? I love it.
Yep, it is still available.