F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-Type roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2016 F-Type roof

Looking at the online configurator, it looks like there is no option for a body-colored roof. Only the (will never use) panoramic glass or the (Honda fanboy) carbon fiber look. Can that be right?

The other question would be does the carbon fiber actually provide any more structural rigidity than the glass, or is the attachment the same? I'm pretty sure the glass roof on the XJ didn't do the frame any favors, and that's why the roof sometimes pops.

[Edit]Also, how are they protecting the resin in the carbon fiber from degrading due to ultraviolet light?

Last edited by Delta-V; 02-05-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta-V
Looking at the online configurator, it looks like there is no option for a body-colored roof. Only the (will never use) panoramic glass or the (Honda fanboy) carbon fiber look. Can that be right?

The other question would be does the carbon fiber actually provide any more structural rigidity than the glass, or is the attachment the same? I'm pretty sure the glass roof on the XJ didn't do the frame any favors, and that's why the roof sometimes pops.

[Edit]Also, how are they protecting the resin in the carbon fiber from degrading due to ultraviolet light?
Yes, the Panoramic Roof is reportedly standard on the MY2016.

When you write: "the (will never use) panoramic glass." not sure what you mean. The glass does not open and is entirely inoperable from a "use" standpoint. Most on this forum that were uncertain about getting the panoramic roof all reported they were glad they did...
Have you sat in a F-Type Coupe with and without the glass roof? The difference is huge, as far as making an otherwise and somewhat confined cabin space feel much more open and spacious.

In that respect, I "use" mine every single day. Never shut the sunscreen. Love the extra light and spaciousness the glass roof provides. Could not imagine driving this car without it.

The following 3 users liked this post by IronMike:
buickfunnycar.com (02-06-2015), Joz132 (02-05-2015), scm (12-13-2018)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I completely agree with IronMike - I would not own the coupe without the pano roof.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Agree. Glass roof is a must. Also I disagree carbon fiber is a Honda fanboy look. I've never seen a carbon fiber roof on a Honda. I associate that with the BMW M3 and M6

And rigidity is a non issue. Coupe with glass roof is just as rigid as metal roof. It's an amazingly rigid car.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Agree. I've never seen a carbon fiber roof on a Honda. I associate that with the BMW M3 and M6
...and Corvette ZR1

Old 02-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Yes, the Panoramic Roof is reportedly standard on the MY2016.

When you write: "the (will never use) panoramic glass." not sure what you mean. The glass does not open and is entirely inoperable from a "use" standpoint. Most on this forum that were uncertain about getting the panoramic roof all reported they were glad they did...
Have you sat in a F-Type Coupe with and without the glass roof? The difference is huge, as far as making an otherwise and somewhat confined cabin space feel much more open and spacious.

In that respect, I "use" mine every single day. Never shut the sunscreen. Love the extra light and spaciousness the glass roof provides. Could not imagine driving this car without it.
I specced the morzine grey headlining. Makes the interior feel much lighter and more open, without the weight penalty of the glass roof.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

If you are adamant about having a solid roof (which would be contrary to the preference of most) you could unbolt a roof from a MY15 salvage car and bolt it in place of the glass. They are fastened in place with bolts under the liner.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Joz132
I completely agree with IronMike - I would not own the coupe without the pano roof.
+1

It's a fantastic feature

Old 02-06-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
I specced the morzine grey headlining. Makes the interior feel much lighter and more open, without the weight penalty of the glass roof.
Pffftt!

Penalty? What penalty???

Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Don't like the CF option, and in the one car I had with a t-top glass roof I *never* took the shades off - having light coming in from above just BUGS me for some reason. I for one wish they'd left the standard roof as an option, but they didn't...

Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Agree. Glass roof is a must. Also I disagree carbon fiber is a Honda fanboy look. I've never seen a carbon fiber roof on a Honda. I associate that with the BMW M3 and M6

And rigidity is a non issue. Coupe with glass roof is just as rigid as metal roof. It's an amazingly rigid car.
No, but you see plenty of unpainted CF or faux-CF hoods on Hondas, which is why I associate bare CF with them. I don't like the look. Plus, as an engineer who works with CF, I don't have good feeling about unpainted CF exposed to UV. Good to know about the rigidity, however.

Originally Posted by mshedden
Don't like the CF option, and in the one car I had with a t-top glass roof I *never* took the shades off - having light coming in from above just BUGS me for some reason. I for one wish they'd left the standard roof as an option, but they didn't...
This. I find it very distracting. I think it has something to do with light from the roof reflecting on my glasses.

The following users liked this post:
F-typical (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

No, but you see plenty of unpainted CF or faux-CF hoods on Hondas, which is why I associate bare CF with them. I don't like the look. Plus, as an engineer who works with CF, I don't have good feeling about unpainted CF exposed to UV. Good to know about the rigidity, however.
The Auto Show F type was painted, I don't know why you think production wouldnt be.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't get the pano roof, I think it makes the car look worse, especially looking down on it. Makes it look like a convertible. If I wanted a convertible then I would buy a convertible. I guess the outside aesthetics are more important to me than the view from inside.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
My wife objected to the light from above and that was easily cured by adding substantial tint to the glass. Cheap/easy solution.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
The Auto Show F type was painted, I don't know why you think production wouldnt be.
A solid roof will certainly not be offered in the US (see Jag configurator). Perhaps it is still offered elsewhere.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Once I saw the Ftype R coupe in IRR at delivery I was certain I made the right choice, for my taste, to not get the pano roof.
I had sat in another coupe before ordering and found the interior light and sense of space enough by far, so decided to go for the look of the solid roof/paint. They look good in any configuration though.
I've had cars with moon roof's before and found the sun a bit too bright at times as well.. anyway, just personal preference.
Lawrence.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member

On the dark cars (black an stratus grey), it integrates beautifully into the car, but makes the roof pop with the extra shine. I think I agree it's not the best choice for other colored cars though.

I am 100% pleased with the choice.

Last edited by OzRisk; 02-07-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

The pano roof was the only option I mulled over and later added to my existing order before the deadline and as others here have commented...certainly glad I did.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

This. I find it very distracting. I think it has something to do with light from the roof reflecting on my glasses.
The CF roofs on luxury cars are unpainted but they have a UV proof clear coat. They are not going to fade.

I wear glasses too but have no issues. Of course if it is excessively bright, you can always shut the blind.

My biggest concern about the glass roof was rigidity. I drove Lexus and Mercedes cars with glass roofs on test drives in the past and found that the car seemed less rigid and sometimes you would hear a sound from the roof. In the Jag there is none of that. It is just as solid as a metal roof. It's really perfectly integrated.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 02-07-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Pffftt!

Penalty? What penalty???
1.5mm aluminium vs. 6mm laminated glass + the sun blind mechanism.

Mounted as high as possible on the car, too...

Quick Reply: 2016 F-Type roof