Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

But the Glass Roof can give you this sort of a feeling

The following users liked this post:
scm (12-19-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Cracked roof and ode to Mrs BS and JLNA

Originally Posted by Unhingd
One of the Jag video presentations describes the structural channels that define the roofline. None of the panels,(glass,CF, sheet metal) provide any structural rigidity. That's left entirely to the structural members.
My 2018 R is at the dealership now and I wish to chime in on the glass roof. Mine somehow cracked in two places (right front corner, above passenger's head) so I brought it in with the age-old creak/squeaks from the rear two pillars' area (two pillars that are vertically attached to the rear roof line behind the seats' headrest, correct terminology?) along with the door panels rattling from music or bad roads. My R has 3600 miles on it, she's the garage queen because I work out of state/country 9 moths/year so mostly a poser car for me. Yesterday, they called me and said the vehicle's warranty would not repair the glass roof nor they will take care of the creaks from the back pillars' area. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded, speechless, and left to collect my nerves, I could not believe that the glass would crack unless it's a part of the overall rigidity/integrity of the whole cockpit, thus under stress from torsion or whatever else cause it to crack and they say the vehicle's warranty would not cover it or expired. This dealership under the newly minted service writers' boss, Mrs BS (real initials) told me to call my insurance and have some other none JLR shops to take care of it since they won't/can't replace it themselves. This is the same dealer that was supposed to check for the strange electrical bleep randomly coming out of mine Velar's radio, failed to "find" it and left me with a rattling headliner/added forty plus miles on my Velar during that repair period. This is more insult to injury because my last Type S was with them for over a month with infamous and notorious Meridian issue that most of us on this platform experienced. Ooh, the excuses they gave during that time was Comedy Central worthy. At this point, the sour taste in my mouth is too much to take because this dealership and JLRNA are petty, not trustworthy nor reliable to me anymore. At this very moment, I am sitting in their loaner car with its "natural new car smell of smoked cannabis", not mine, feeling like a fool for keep buying Jaguar. I don't know what to do and I guess I will have to consult my attorney. This is my last straw with JLR.
Sorry for the rant folks and I hope you all have better luck than I. Shame, it's such a beautiful car.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

In the UK a cracked roof, especially after such low mileage, would be considered "not fit for purpose" and would definitely be down to Jaguar to fix. Attorney would seem a sensible route to take.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Glass is covered by our insurance (probably with a deductible), but I don't know if that would include a roof.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:45 AM
Angry The pain continues

Originally Posted by scm
In the UK a cracked roof, especially after such low mileage, would be considered "not fit for purpose" and would definitely be down to Jaguar to fix. Attorney would seem a sensible route to take.
Originally Posted by DJS
Glass is covered by our insurance (probably with a deductible), but I don't know if that would include a roof.
I don't know but according to the dealership that has my car, mine is a year old with 3,600 miles, warranty expired, so they are not repairing, fixing, troubleshooting a damn thing. Latest today, the threatened me that if I don't bring the loaner car back, they will report it as stolen. Essentially, the want me to pickup my car and drive it home with a multiple cracks in the roof on Southern Louisiana roads that some out-of-towners said were made for ox carts. Quite cute. But according to JLRNA's rep name Charles, this particular dealership is an independent one, so they (JLRNA) have absolutely minimal saying in the matter beside begging it to be nice. Not that I enjoy the E-pace loaner and its aroma to not return it to these people, but I have no wheels to get around the Xmas. In any case, I will do my best to unload my Velar and this F-type and be done with all of them. Further lament, my attorney is dying with pancreatic cancer and MD Anderson gives him 8-12 months. I cannot be more sad this Xmas.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
I don't know but according to the dealership that has my car, mine is a year old with 3,600 miles, warranty expired, so they are not repairing, fixing, troubleshooting a damn thing. Latest today, the threatened me that if I don't bring the loaner car back, they will report it as stolen. Essentially, the want me to pickup my car and drive it home with a multiple cracks in the roof on Southern Louisiana roads that some out-of-towners said were made for ox carts. Quite cute. But according to JLRNA's rep name Charles, this particular dealership is an independent one, so they (JLRNA) have absolutely minimal saying in the matter beside begging it to be nice. Not that I enjoy the E-pace loaner and its aroma to not return it to these people, but I have no wheels to get around the Xmas. In any case, I will do my best to unload my Velar and this F-type and be done with all of them. Further lament, my attorney is dying with pancreatic cancer and MD Anderson gives him 8-12 months. I cannot be more sad this Xmas.
Something doesn't compute. How can a 1 year old, 3600 mile car with a 5 year, 60000 mile warranty be out of warranty?

Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Something doesn't compute. How can a 1 year old, 3600 mile car with a 5 year, 60000 mile warranty be out of warranty?
From the very beginning I thought there was something VERY fishy about this addition to the roof thread...and this is the first I have heard about a spontaneously cracked roof (no mention of a rock or anything falling on it - which would not be a warranty issue anyway)...I suspect that the Christmas trolls are at work here.

And Jaguar dealers are all "independent" - final decisions on warranty claims are made by Jaguar, not the dealer. The entire story smacks of vitriolic fiction.

Last edited by sov211; 12-22-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by sov211

From the very beginning I thought there was something VERY fishy about this addition to the roof thread...and this is the first I have heard about a spontaneously cracked roof (no mention of a rock or anything falling on it - which would not be a warranty issue anyway)...I suspect that the Christmas trolls are at work here.

And Jaguar dealers are all "independent" - final decisions on warranty claims are made by Jaguar, not the dealer. The entire story smacks of vitriolic fiction.

I have not a clue. Verbatim, this is what they told me which made me fuming by the amount of absurdity. To sir, this is not fictitious nor vitriolic from my POV and I apologize if the thread felt hijacked. I am ok to not be a part of this, I have vested interest in JLR because my family have/had 9 Jags in all with this brand. Where else can one divulge in Jag experiences beside this platform full of fellow enthusiasts?
And to clarify, I do not believe the glass roof to be spontaneously cracked, there was some force behind it and I unscientifically suspect torsion to be the culprit from just eyeballing it. My vehicle sat in the garage 99% of the time with a trickle charger. My daily driver is either the Velar or Macan or the ever reliable Toyota Tundra. At no point I experienced anything with the Jag that could lead me to finding a cracked roof. I came home from work after two months, pulled the car out into the sun, peeled back the visor and saw the cracks. But this dealership, Mrs. BS and her service writer Mr. P were cut and dry with their comments to me, no explanation about the creaks from the two pillars in the back and the cracked roof, just " I understand but at this time it's not covered,...but the loaner needs to be returned", and etc.
Like Mr. Unhingd said, something does not compute. Because of prior incidents with them taking my vehicles for joyride or something, I made sure I took a picture of the mileage before handling the keyfob to them. So, 3600 miles 2017-8 Type R (purchased a year after my Type S got flooded in late 2016 as some of you already familiar with). Granted, even if the roof is covered under JLR warranty at least check in the pillars and alleviate the noises for me or offer a reasonable explanation, but nope. I don't know but maybe year end Xmas bonuses are on the line or that they hate me for whatever reason...but if so, the lacking the benefit of the intellect over personal/or dealership vulgarity is a shame.

Last edited by NTAV; 12-22-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Escalate to Jag customer service or find another dealer. That's ridiculous.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Call Jaguar Land Rover North America HQ. Some dealerships are pure crap. Jaguar of Austin, TX is one of these dealerships that refuses to perform warranty work while Jaguar of Livermore, CA is very happy to do so and actually provide a customer experience you'd expect when purchasing a reasonably luxurious vehicle. Not warrantying glass that has randomly cracked is ridiculous.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Default Merry Xmas to all

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Call Jaguar Land Rover North America HQ. Some dealerships are pure crap. Jaguar of Austin, TX is one of these dealerships that refuses to perform warranty work while Jaguar of Livermore, CA is very happy to do so and actually provide a customer experience you'd expect when purchasing a reasonably luxurious vehicle. Not warrantying glass that has randomly cracked is ridiculous.
Escalate to Jag customer service or find another dealer. That's ridiculous.
Thank you gents. I did call the number and have a case number which I forwarded to Mrs. BS (actual initial, not some vitriolic thing! Also, I would not use my lawyer's health issue like pancreatic cancer to be a Christmas troll). She then told Mr. Pringle to tell me to come pick up my car and bring the loaner back. I replied to Pringle saying that's ridiculous and wrong to tell me that my car's issues are out of warranty and I cannot because I would have no wheels during Xmas. She then sent me a system text message herself threatening me. Though, I politely wanted to have some resolution for the vehicle so that I have some safe transportation but nothing was done because my warranty expired and I need to call my insurance. So upset, I called JLRNA, a guy names Charles told me that he had contacted Mrs. BS, and almost 36 hours, she has not replied. Mr. Charles also confirmed to me that my vehicle is under factory warranty until 2021 yet he specifically told me that I have to return the loaner car and that's nothing on his end can intervene. This guy wasn't too helpful, a bit disdainful and cynically in a lecturing mood. He seemed to be in a hurried to get out of the office (Late Friday afternoon) and I somewhat understood that, it's Xmas and all but, I am the sucker here without much help getting around. Perhaps the hardest realization for me is the fact they are the only two (Baton Rouge and New Orleans) nearest Jag dealerships under 200 miles nearest to me. And my friends and I know they don't give a reindeer's *** about servicing your vehicles. During the Meridian debacle, we all were stuck with them for months with bs excuses like blown tweeters to master tech found nothing wrong, to "service bulletins can't be trustworthy because at times, they get issued to avoid legal trouble, it's a corporate thing we Southerners don't hassle with that crap, I mean we're the one that dive into the grease, not them white collars", etc. But thanks to the talented and gurus pool collectively on this forum, we all finally got it fixed and I was so happy I sent them thank you fruit basket from Edible Arrangements, anonymously. The very same service writer, Mrs. BS handled our Jags Meridian, now promoted to supervisor. BTW, my daily drivers are almost 1000 miles away and the only thing I have is my dad's old Acura Legend which he hasn't moved since he turned 80, 83 now and HOA has been sending him fine/letters to move it.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F type R creaks from the Rear left pillar area,, the previous S model did too,, buzzing door cards had to be padded as soon as I got it,, should I buy another F type SVR version

Old 12-27-2018, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At least the dealer gives out loaners and responds to texts. What a rare occurrence!

My F type has been back at dealer for maintenance 1 time and repair 6 times. Only 1 time out of the 7 visits did I get a loaner car from dealer. I had to sign a contact saying I will use the car for up to 4 days. After 4 days, I have to return the car no matter what.