Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F Type S - Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F Type S - Headlight Adjustment

Good Morning !

I'm new to the Jag forum and a new F Type owner (2016 S).

I hope this is the forum to post this but wanted to pitch in with a little headlight adjustment story.

I bought my F Type from out of state and had it shipped to me in NC. Due to the nature of the purchase I'm still waiting for a temp tag to be able to drive it on the open road. I have however been able to do so within the subdivision I live in. I took it out on the first night and noticed a huge issue with the headlight alignment (up and down). The beam was lighting up the road no more than 15 to 20 feet ahead of me, and the subdivision doesn't have street lighting.

I literally couldn't see a thing as I approached an intersection, high beam seemed normal.

With some investigation I discovered the adjustment screws and have attempted to make a small adjustment this morning so we'll wait and see tonight if I have enough or too much.

I wondered how this could have happened? The only thing that I could arrive at that made sense was roadway vibration slowly causing the screws to move the lights downwards? I suppose it's not such a big deal if you live in a well lit urban area.

Any way I hope this helps any future owners with a similar issue, I saw left right adjustment too if that's a problem for anyone?

Old 02-19-2023, 01:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Campbell65,

I've moved your post from F-Pace to F-Type forum.
Graham

Old 02-19-2023, 03:01 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I've read quite a few complaints that headlights are aimed too low. Best to find a flat wall in a (dark) car park and set them up in there.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Very common for the car to leave the factory with the headlights pointing way low, maybe this car is one of those and the previous owner(s) didn't know how to adjust them.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:43 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I live up in the mountains and there are no streetlights in the residential areas nor any lighting on the State highways. On a moonless night you can't see your hand in front of your face. The first time I drove my 2021 F Type at night I had a WTF ? moment as the headlights were pointing maybe 15 yards in front of the car, unsafe for traveling at even low speeds. How that escaped the final inspection at the factory is beyond me.

I used the correct size Allen wrench on the screws located on top of the headlight housings to crank both sides up several turns. I had looked online to find some tutorials regarding how to properly adjust headlights. There are some good tips available but they all require a long, level surface to park your car on and a flat vertical surface like a garage door. You park your car a specified distance from the vertical surface and then using a tape measure adjust the headlights to shine at a specified distance above the ground.

Well, my driveway is only 30 feet long and slopes both lengthwise and side to side so doing it that way was out of the question. I just drove around my neighborhood with the Allen wrench in my pocket and stopped a few times for some trial & error adjustments.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:06 AM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello to all, hope everyone is having a great New Year.
I am curious about our headlights, I have a 2014 f-type V8 S and have always thought my headlights were a bit low. I have read what little info there is about headlight adjustment. I have tried the Allen wrench and turning the small white part on top of the headlight and turned to no avail. there is also another even smaller Allen wrench screw just in front of the bigger one but it has a small red plug in it, so the Allen part cannot be accessed without removing it, I have not done that.
Anyways, when an Allen wrench is put in place in the bigger white plastic piece on the headlamp it seems to just turn without any movement on the headlamps, this was done using the outside garage doors at night, and approx. a 25-foot distance. NOTHING happened!

Ps. my left light seems to be a bit lower than the right side by about 2.5 "inches.

The other curious thing is my headlamps are projection style, meaning they are controlled by a module via computer in the car, at least that is what I am told. They move sideways when the wheel steering is turned left or right.
I am wondering if all f types are projection-style headlights or not and if they need adjusting, should you need to use a jag computer to access the module for the headlamps to be adjusted the headlamps properly?

If anyone has more thoughts and descriptions on how to adjust the headlamps up or down, actual instructions/pictures would be very helpful and appreciated.
but in the meantime, why does my hex adjusting screw not work on my headlamps for up/ down adjustments?
Others have seemed to accomplish some sort of movement with the hex screw method!

Thank you to those in the know and your time and energy to help what seems would be many f-type owners.
If indeed you adjusted and it worked, how many turns and in what direction did you turn the white plastic hex screw? when you turn the hex did you feel any resistance ?
any other information would be helpful.
Thank you

Last edited by vettegood; 02-21-2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I ended up adjusting mine all the way up. Seems just about right on low beam.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts