F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 IRR touchup paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2016 IRR touchup paint

Looking to order a touchup paint pen and came across this fact. 2014 and 2015 IRR paint code is CAH. IRR code for 2016 on my piller label is 1AF. I called dealer and he doesn't have 2016. He called Jaguar USA and was told they "would not be supporting 1AF in the US. I should go to a body shop and have them custom mix for me."

I called Jaguar U S A customer service and in summary was told "oh well". I wanted that in writing and was refused.

To say I'm surprised by both responses is an understatement. If Jaguar can't handle the little stuff I shudder to think of something major happening that needs their involvement and support. This is no way to make inroads in grabbing customers from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc... Sure wish I would have a JD Power survey mailed to me!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. A simple search of 1AF on google yielded that as being a color here in the US. Try another dealer.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Something doesn't sound right. A simple search of 1AF on google yielded that as being a color here in the US. Try another dealer.
+1. From the posts I have read over the past year on this forum, I have sensed that there are two different Jaguar companies that various people are dealing with. One, a world class luxury car marque willing to respond quickly to issues and make the customer happy even if much effort is needed, and one that is rubbing its hands at having sold the car in the first place while loudly proclaiming caveat emptor: Hey you just bought a Jaguar...weren't you paying attention to the last 50 years of reliability and customer service data. Fortunately, I and a lot of other people bought from Jag company A, but unfortunately many got theirs from Jag company B. The issue is not with JNA. It's with the customer service orientation of the dealership. I am confident that even if a paint stick were not available from Jag for my car, my dealership would step up and identify a solution in the same way WhiteTardis has.
That said, have a pro fill in your knicks. A paint stick will work on White or the very dark colors. Trying to use a stick or brush on bright colors like red and yellow will show far too easily if the finish is not perfectly smooth after you are done.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-06-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

You can get them from any online touch up paint place. I have several of them to address minor rock chips on the front fascia.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used paint from the CAH code from Dr. Colorchip for a couple of chips on my 2016 and it matches very well.

The following users liked this post:
99Gsp (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

While I don't necessarily agree with everything Captain Obvious has to say - the man is, after all, unhinged - I do completely agree that it comes down to personal [dealer level] service.

I don't recall the circumstances of why i happened to have a conversation with the collision manager of the [sister] dealership where I bought my car (located in two different towns) - it certainly had nothing to do with any collision; like I said, I have no idea why I was talking to him - but he immediately offered to give me, or mix up for me, a container of Stratus Grey touch-up paint (which I have not had the need to use at all).

Needless to say a small gesture like this - or a gift, upon picking the car up after its initial service two days ago, of a Jaguar Heritage Sweatshirt/Hoodie, which I am wearing even as I write - goes a long way towards brand but really dealership loyalty.

It's not rocket science.

99Gsp (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
- the man is, after all, unhinged -
I resemble that remark!

Jay, warm up those new winter tires and come on down to meet with us in Lancaster.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Looking to order a touchup paint pen and came across this fact. 2014 and 2015 IRR paint code is CAH. IRR code for 2016 on my piller label is 1AF. I called dealer and he doesn't have 2016. He called Jaguar USA and was told they "would not be supporting 1AF in the US. I should go to a body shop and have them custom mix for me."

I called Jaguar U S A customer service and in summary was told "oh well". I wanted that in writing and was refused.

To say I'm surprised by both responses is an understatement. If Jaguar can't handle the little stuff I shudder to think of something major happening that needs their involvement and support. This is no way to make inroads in grabbing customers from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc... Sure wish I would have a JD Power survey mailed to me!

I made the mistake of not asking my dealer what the price would be when he ordered the Salsa Red kit for me. $76, although Foosh points out it has a really nice brush.

There are absolutely no directions on it, so I have no idea what an acceptable temperature range for application is. Guess I can look up what other touch-up paints recommend.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I resemble that remark!

Jay, warm up those new winter tires and come on down to meet with us in Lancaster.
+1. Bring some muffins from Blueberries!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bwco
I've used paint from the CAH code from Dr. Colorchip for a couple of chips on my 2016 and it matches very well.
Thanks. That's what I'm going to do as well. Just got a couple of small chips on the front facia the other night. I assumed CAH would be a close match but nice to read in your comment a confirmation that it is.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I resemble that remark!

Resemble it? You own it!

I do like your thinking (in this case) Captain but my wife has other plans...but surely there will be another time when I will.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

+1. Bring some muffins from Blueberries!
You mean like the bag full of baked goodies the owner of Blueberries brought last night when he came to our house?

While I genuinely wish I could join you all this weekend - and there will be another time when I might be able to - at some point we will [all] have to make plans on a drive north. Very north, although it is not the end of the world as some think it is. A very nice world it is [here] with, yes, and 99Gsp should know, amazing muffins (and much more).

Best regards and until next time.
Jay

Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The 2014-15 paint was Xirallic, with aluminum oxide and titanium oxide providing the sparkle. The new paint seems to be a conventional metallic, with ground aluminum providing the sparkle. The cost for IRR went down when they switched in 2016.

99Gsp (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
The 2014-15 paint was Xirallic, with aluminum oxide and titanium oxide providing the sparkle. The new paint seems to be a conventional metallic, with ground aluminum providing the sparkle. The cost for IRR went down when they switched in 2016.
If the color is the same, and the only difference is the metal providing the sparkle, I would think that any IRR touch-up paint would be fine for tiny chips. You'd never notice the difference on something that small.

99Gsp (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 PM

Just an update...I just ordered a paint pen from expresspaint.com. I contacted them and they verified the 1AF code in the 2016 database. They are able to produce it. I will post again after I receive and apply it. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
...at some point we will [all] have to make plans on a drive north. Very north, although it is not the end of the world as some think it is. A very nice world it is [here] with, yes, and 99Gsp should know, amazing muffins (and much more).

Best regards and until next time.
Jay
Jay, set something up with enough advanced notice for Lobster season, and I just might make the drive all the way from Texas. There is nothing like visiting the great state of Maine during lobster season!!!

(It's been many years... do they still have roadside lobster po boy stands?)

Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Just an update...I just ordered a paint pen from expresspaint.com. I contacted them and they verified the 1AF code in the 2016 database. They are able to produce it. I will post again after I receive and apply it. Thanks for all the responses.
I'd be willing to bet that they put the same stuff in bottles labeled CAH and 1AF, or they just label it IRR. If it were actually a different base color JLR wouldn't still be calling both IRR, but the different metal flake content explains the different code.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Curious to see what works best with IRR. I've tried Dr. Colorchip on another car before and I didn't really like it. Found it difficult to apply cleanly. How does the paint pen compare?

I have two chips above the side window from a rock that was flung by a broken fire hydrant. Plus tons of rash on the rear quarter panels.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Curious to see what works best with IRR. I've tried Dr. Colorchip on another car before and I didn't really like it. Found it difficult to apply cleanly. How does the paint pen compare?

I have two chips above the side window from a rock that was flung by a broken fire hydrant. Plus tons of rash on the rear quarter panels.
I have purchased a paint pen for some rash on the very edge of my side skirts. Personally, the color is an exact match, but the applicator sucks for fixing detailed areas. You might as well take a fine Sharpie marker and color the area. Personally, I used the Pen on a piece of waxed paper then used a very small fine detail brush to apply to the rash on the car.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Jay, set something up with enough advanced notice for Lobster season, and I just might make the drive all the way from Texas.
+1., but from Maryland.

Quick Reply: 2016 IRR touchup paint