F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Manual 6 Speed questions / issues / chatter thread?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
You probably don't want to leave the power on too long anyway, the battery will run down pretty fast with all the electronics in these cars. I'm sure that is why it turns off after 10-15 minutes on its own.

I don't know if anyone has run battery drain time tests on the F-Type, but I remember reading something in the Corvette forum about this. The newer models (the C7 and Z06) will drain their battery down to nothing in less than 2 hours if you disable the auto-power-off functionality (or just keep turning accessory mode back on every 10-15 minutes after it shuts off) to keep the audio system operating. I believe someone on the Corvette forum experienced this first hand when trying to watch a movie at a drive in. That seems realistic, though a bit scary as well.
Hmmm, I wonder. For a 90 - 100 amp-hour, only 2 hours is a LOT of drain and/or a short kill time. Perhaps the battery was in poor condition in the first place? Or the Corvette was providing loud music for an entire block?

Indeed, it's a great question about the parasitic drain of systems on/engine off, and the sound system at normal, in-vehicle listening levels. Any knowledgeable people on this point????

Wouldn't it be clever to figure out how to use the ECO 2nd battery for the sound system when the vehicle isn't running.

Desert Hiker

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-29-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I am in Europe for three weeks and my GPS shuts down after 4 days of no starts to conserve battery power. I set a timer in my InControl remote to wake up the day I return.
It shows my car in SF Bay Area , me in Prague but can't give me walking directions to the car.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
It shows my car in SF Bay Area , me in Prague but can't give me walking directions to the car.
Probably a good thing. You might not survive the elements.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I am also currently thousands of miles away from my car. I am not accustomed to the frustration of not having access to my Jag. Prior cars did not have this effect. Luckily I am home on Sunday.

Orkney.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
1. With your foot off the clutch, push the on/off button twice. (once to turn off the car engine, once to turn the system back on)
2. Nothing to do about that other than pushing the on/off button again when the system shuts down.
Right on. That made me laugh tho... I thought it was some secret instruction. =) Well done.

Interesting that, even if you don't open the door, power off is "power off", and can't even roll up windows, etc.

I am not complaining. I LOVE this car.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
Wouldn't it be clever to figure out how to use the ECO 2nd battery for the sound system when the vehicle isn't running.

Desert Hiker
Delightfully clever. Nice thought.

Still, great point about running down battery with modern electronics in a car. It might not immediately kill the battery, but I bet you would drastically reduce it's lifetime and reliability.

NB:

Jaguar *did* think of this. This isn't a bug, it's a feature.

I repeated this a few times:

After every 2nd or 3rd time you sit and turn on the car without starting the engine, then let it shut down, it will *not* let you turn on the electronics again *without* actually starting the car. They're worried about letting it run down, for sure. I am sure someone else has repeated this? Unless I am crazy, it seems built in.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I am in Europe for three weeks and my GPS shuts down after...
Speaking of GPS.....

Anyone else know how to get google maps in place of the navigation? The NAV routes and arrival times are disastrously wrong. It's frustrating, it makes it useless.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Numerous posters, including myself, have posted that it is only a matter of time until some manufacturer incorporates software that allows whatever app is running on a coupled smart phone to be mirrored on the center screen. Since the coupled phone and music play functions are already incorporated on virtually everything vehicle made, it makes no sense why this hasn't yet been done. Once someone does it, everyone else will follow.

I don't use the F-Type nav at all, I use Waze on my smart phone since it is infinitely superior. It would be nice to have it displayed on the center screen, but I can live without it because I rely primarily on it's voice guidance.

Uncle Fishbits (09-04-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the official Jaguar F-Type Manual Manual
Did you guys read this manual? It's almost too surreal to believe. It's like it was written by a marketing department speaking to a millennial who has never even heard of a stick shift. It was pithy and irreverent which was fun, but hardly helpful in any meaningful way, other than for a frightened newcomer to a car they shouldn't be driving.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Did you guys read this manual? It's almost too surreal to believe. It's like it was written by a marketing department speaking to a millennial who has never even heard of a stick shift. It was pithy and irreverent which was fun, but hardly helpful in any meaningful way, other than for a frightened newcomer to a car they shouldn't be driving.
I'm pretty sure the joke went over your head here...

Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
I'm pretty sure the joke went over your head here...
Wow. I'm none to dense, so I owe a bottle of champagne to whoever made one over on me. I kept reading that, thinking that it had to be a joke, but it was well done and I really thought it was just some sort of fun thing the marketing department with together.

That's a fanmade document? Someone has more time on their hands and I do.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

No it's official from Jaguar. But it was meant to be humorous, a satire of how few people drive manual cars these days. They handed them out at the launch to all the journalists there. I guess a lot of people expect everything to be serious from Jaguar, you're not the first, and won't be the last.

Uncle Fishbits (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
No it's official from Jaguar. But it was meant to be humorous, a satire of how few people drive manual cars these days. They handed them out at the launch to all the journalists there. I guess a lot of people expect everything to be serious from Jaguar, you're not the first, and won't be the last.
I don't mind being the mark. That's made me laugh a couple times. I am pretty impressed, but it will definitely confuse people.

I can say this car has really ruined my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. The throw is about as long in the F-Type (joke), but now the Jeep feels like a hovercraft on the road with a deadly lack of pick up.

I absolutely cannot comprehend the F-Type existing without a stick. It baffles me. =^D

Anyway... the desire for a more specific manual is that I am coming from a completely different type of vehicle, and I never trusted the upshift arrow on my Wrangler. I was sort of wondering, as subjective as it is for everyone, where people are shifting up. It's probably a fairly stupid question?

Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

I don't mind being the mark. That's made me laugh a couple times. I am pretty impressed, but it will definitely confuse people.

I can say this car has really ruined my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. The throw is about as long in the F-Type (joke), but now the Jeep feels like a hovercraft on the road with a deadly lack of pick up.

I absolutely cannot comprehend the F-Type existing without a stick. It baffles me. =^D

Anyway... the desire for a more specific manual is that I am coming from a completely different type of vehicle, and I never trusted the upshift arrow on my Wrangler. I was sort of wondering, as subjective as it is for everyone, where people are shifting up. It's probably a fairly stupid question?
About 2500-3000 when accelerating at a leisurely pace. Otherwise, entirely situational.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

So if I am just driving around normal and not in need of a good exhaust jostling, I will shift around 3K - 3.5K. If I am in need of some snaps and crackles from power plant, I will shift around 5K. I have learned that 1st gear low speed (under 3o MPH) driving once things are warmed up and the exhaust is in dynamic mode produces nearly endless detonation.

Orkney

Old 09-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Orkney
So if I am just driving around normal and not in need of a good exhaust jostling, I will shift around 3K - 3.5K. If I am in need of some snaps and crackles from power plant, I will shift around 5K. I have learned that 1st gear low speed (under 3o MPH) driving once things are warmed up and the exhaust is in dynamic mode produces nearly endless detonation.

Orkney
Okay great. I am not too far off. Sometimes the engine sounds a bit revved over 3K. I always cringe when I hear someone driving a Porsche with engine whining at too many revs.

NOISES!

For my gurgling pops, 3K+ rpm in 2nd, letting the transmission break it back to under 2500- that whole time it's those delicious throaty purrs and pops.

The only times I've really been over 5K+ so far is when I was wearing the wrong shoes and messed up. I am tall, so the heel of dress shoes or wide rubber part of gym shoes can be a nightmare. I've been taking my shoes off and driving barefoot a lot. Now I've the reason to find a proper pair of driving shoes. =)

Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

At 3K, it's just barely getting into the sweet spot of the power band. 3-5K is where you'll find most of the power and torque.

Uncle Fishbits (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
At 3K, it's just barely getting into the sweet spot of the power band. 3-5K is where you'll find most of the power and torque.
LOL Thanks for being patient with the 95 wrangler to Jag guy.... I was driving like a wuss. I have some more appropriate choice words, but I don't want to be crass.

The car comes to life at higher RPMs... rolling around this past week, I really opened the car up, and wow. I hadn't been really pushing it or testing it at all. It's fun to see the wife giggle so much. =) I absolutely see the ticket in my future, so I got to mellow out.

It's so damned fun.

Also, anyone else crush their gentleman parts when getting out of the car or is that just me? ha.

Also... the cup holder issue is pretty bad. Sunday drive and two iced coffees on a curvy road isn't the best experience. Well... from cups getting in the way, it isn't the best.

Overall, I'm pretty sure this is the best experience. =^D

Foosh (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Also... the cup holder issue is pretty bad.
The proprietary MINI cup is the perfect height to rest your forearm on (left holder) while rowing through the gears. That is, if you don't mind coffee stains on your shirt sleeve.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

That is, if you don't mind coffee stains on your shirt sleeve.
Small price to pay for rowing your own gears.

And to drive an F-Type, for that matter.

Uncle Fishbits (09-10-2015)

Quick Reply: 2016 Manual 6 Speed questions / issues / chatter thread?