F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 model year lease payments / sale price

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
So I was close with the 5.9%...depends on your credit...if you have good credit I think you should be able to do better. MF and the equivalent APR will be slightly higher than a loan APR, because it's not apples to apples. I think something like 1.9 - 3.9 should be doable. But the biggest thing is reduce the selling price...negotiate on that first and foremost. In Iowa, I'm guess the demand isn't as high as other areas...but then again the supply is probably also limited...your biggest weapon is your willingness to "walk away" :-)
Thanks a lot!

I priced the car out with several different configurations on TrueCar and the invoice is consistently $4,000 less than MSRP. What is a good asking price? Has anyone succeeded at closing the deal at the invoice?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

So I was close with the 5.9%...depends on your credit...if you have good credit I think you should be able to do better. MF and the equivalent APR will be slightly higher than a loan APR, because it's not apples to apples. I think something like 1.9 - 3.9 should be doable. But the biggest thing is reduce the selling price...negotiate on that first and foremost. In Iowa, I'm guess the demand isn't as high as other areas...but then again the supply is probably also limited...your biggest weapon is your willingness to "walk away" :-)
That MF seems about right compared to what other people are reporting on 2016s. The MF is set by JLR Financial. There may be a little bit of a markup for credit or extra profit from the dealer, but seems about right for this time in the model year and term.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

my MF was 0.0017 ==> 2.568% APR last year. No idea what JLR (Chase) has it for this year/time....

Old 08-13-2015, 01:33 PM

my MF was 0.0017 ==> 2.568% APR last year. No idea what JLR (Chase) has it for this year/time....
At the start of the model year, lease rates are typically higher because there is no incentive for the manufacturer to subsidize them yet. As you get closer to the end of the model year you will typically see lease finance rates come down to move more units.

By comparison a 2015 F-Type S Coupe for 36 months in March was 0.00004. The best lease deals are typically found towards the end of the model years.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
Thanks a lot!

Has anyone succeeded at closing the deal at the invoice?

Absolutely yes, on a purchase, I don't know about a lease.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Even at Invoice, the dealer makes money. They have dealer hold backs and other allowances. Believe me, they won't sell it if they are losing money on it.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:13 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
Has anyone succeeded at closing the deal at the invoice?
I'd say you would be hard pressed to close at invoice on a 2016 without some history with the dealership, but it is probably possible. I got mine at $400 over invoice but it wasn't easy. It helped that the sales manager thought we were discussing the 2015 R not the 2016 R until after approving the sale.

Of course the 2016 models have been out a while now, so it may be easier.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:19 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Even at Invoice, the dealer makes money. They have dealer hold backs and other allowances. Believe me, they won't sell it if they are losing money on it.
As I understand it there are no holdbacks on JLR vehicles, but there are volume sales incentives from the factory which can be just as good over time.

Also keep in mind that the longer a vehicle sits on the lot the more the floor plan costs add up, so eventually dealerships will sell an older model at a break even cost, or even a small loss, to eliminate the ongoing costs. Which is why you can negotiate harder on new cars that are older than current model year.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
As I understand it there are no holdbacks on JLR vehicles, but there are volume sales incentives from the factory which can be just as good over time.

Also keep in mind that the longer a vehicle sits on the lot the more the floor plan costs add up, so eventually dealerships will sell an older model at a break even cost, or even a small loss, to eliminate the ongoing costs. Which is why you can negotiate harder on new cars that are older than current model year.
Interesting about no dealer holdbacks on JLR... I did some research and it seems you are correct. There are a few brands with no hold backs.

I found the below list interesting. (It is a little outdated as some of the manufacturers no longer exist)

Acura: 3% of the Base MSRP
Audi: 1% of the Base Invoice
BMW: No hold-back
Buick: 3% of the Total MSRP
Cadillac: 3% of the Total MSRP
Chevrolet: 3% of the Total MSRP
Chrysler: 3% of the Total MSRP
Dodge: 3% of the Total MSRP
Ford: 3% of the Total MSRP
GMC: 3% of the Total MSRP
Honda: 2% of the Base MSRP
Hummer: 3% of the Total MSRP
Hyundai: 2% of the Total Invoice
Infiniti: 1% of the Base MSRP
Isuzu: 3% of the Total MSRP
Jaguar: No hold-back
Jeep: 3% of the Total MSRP
Kia: 3% of the Base Invoice
Land Rover: No hold-back
Lexus: 2% of the Base MSRP
Lincoln: 2% of the Total MSRP
Mazda: 2% of the Base MSRP
Mercedes: 3% of the Total MSRP
Mercury: 3% of the Total MSRP
MINI: No hold-back
Mitsubishi: 2% of the Base MSRP
Nissan: 2% of the Total Invoice
Pontiac: 3% of the Total MSRP
Porsche: No hold-back
Saab: 2.2% of the Base MSRP
Saturn: 3% of the Total MSRP
Scion: 2% Base MSRP
Subaru: 3% of the Total MSRP
Suzuki: 3% of the Base MSRP
Toyota: 2% of the Base MSRP
Volkswagen: 2% of the Base MSRP
Volvo: 1% of the Base MSRP

Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 AM

When I purchased my F-Type, both the sales guy and GM said there was holdback that they were giving to me to meet the offer price.

... It might have been funds allocated for something else that they simply called holdback.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
That's why I like the PenFed loan so much. The interest rates are super low, no restrictions and you can get into a lot more car for less money. My payment is just over $700 for 3 years on an R Coupe. I did put money down through a trade in, which also was on a penfed loan at right around $700/mo. Jumped from a TT-RS to a F-Type Coupe R for about $15 more per month.
smart man, do you're just rolling penfed loans instead of trying to sell on the secondary market, you negotiate a trade-in

like your throught, in effect it's like leasing

Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectson
smart man, do you're just rolling penfed loans instead of trying to sell on the secondary market, you negotiate a trade-in

like your throught, in effect it's like leasing
Actually I did sell it on the private market just before I picked up the Jag. Ended up with more cash that way. Just said trade-in to keep it simple. The vehicle previous to that, I did trade in though.

The downside is that I'm getting cars new so losing out with the higher initial depreciation. Penfed does allow a payment saver loan on used vehicles up to 3 model years old. If I don't decide to stay with the F-type after a couple years I'll probably drop down to a CPO vehicle using the same method.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Actually I did sell it on the private market just before I picked up the Jag. Ended up with more cash that way. Just said trade-in to keep it simple. The vehicle previous to that, I did trade in though.

The downside is that I'm getting cars new so losing out with the higher initial depreciation. Penfed does allow a payment saver loan on used vehicles up to 3 model years old. If I don't decide to stay with the F-type after a couple years I'll probably drop down to a CPO vehicle using the same method.
Have you ever been underwater on any of the cars you financed through PenFed's Payment Saver when it came time to dispose of them?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:20 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
Have you ever been underwater on any of the cars you financed through PenFed's Payment Saver when it came time to dispose of them?
I've only had one with the payment saver that I've sold so far and that had about $15k of equity.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you think about this deal?

2016 F type Coupe AWD S V6
Polaris White exterior
Jet/Brogue W/Ivory Stich interior
Interior Black Pack
Performance Seat
High Perf Brake System
Extended Leather Pack
Black Brake Calipers
20" Tornado Wheel
Black Pack
Premium, Vision and Climate Pack
MSRP: $97,695

Negotiated reduction $4,500

Money factor 0.00188

I will try to get the dealer to get rid of the "Willis Protection". Is it right that the acquisition fee and the admin/doc fees are included in the cap cost?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jaguar deal.pdf (106.7 KB, 319 views)
Old 08-21-2015, 04:51 PM

wow, you get killed with upfront costs in your state. yes, all fees are part of the cap cost ... you can put in your reg fees, first payment in there as well.

i think you should be getting a +3 to the residual for 10k miles a year.

I would have the dealer quote you at 36 and 39 months as well to see what those MF and residuals are.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
When I purchased my F-Type, both the sales guy and GM said there was holdback that they were giving to me to meet the offer price.

... It might have been funds allocated for something else that they simply called holdback.

There is no hold back on Jaguars there is Business Builder money I believe up to 7% of invoice. I love all of the assumptions on this thread.