F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 MT Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2016 MT Vibration

I have a 2016 Base MT coupe - bought new with 200 miles in July and now has about 2200 miles. I've noticed when decelerating with engine braking only from anywhere north of 3000 RPM or so that when you get down around 2500 RPM there is a slight shudder coming through the stick shift which stops about 2300 rpm - most pronounced in 2nd and 3rd gear. I've got this on the list for the dealer to check but was curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had the same issue. It didn't end well. PM sent.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I had the same issue. It didn't end well. PM sent.
The diff?

Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I had that symptom but couldn't get it to happen consistently, so never reported it. I have not noticed it since my clutch was replaced in its entirety.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Thank you all. SinF I sent you a PM
Lizzardo - I was initially thinking maybe the clutch or pressure plate may be uneven. The car was put into service at the dealer in Dec 2015 so I am suspect of the clutch even though it does not seriously slip when speed shifting up (chirps and grabs) or dropping from 4th to 3rd at about 65 or so while hammering it. The clutch pedal does have the engagement action about mid way so it is symptomatic in that respect of the original clutches with problems. I did drive a different 2016 MT base (was previously owned) where the clutch pedal engagement was right off the floor and it did feel very different. I just need to get the dealer on board with a replacement.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by El Gato
I did drive a different 2016 MT base (was previously owned) where the clutch pedal engagement was right off the floor and it did feel very different.
Both second and third generation clutches behave this way. Second gen offers harsh pedal feel with precise pickup right at the floor, so unless you are careful shifting you could easily drop the clutch. Third gen almost at the floor, but not quite - easier to shift.

First gen clutch is very mild with mid-range pickup with imprecise engagement point. Easy to shift in normal driving, but very hard to get a solid hook up when pushing hard.

Last edited by SinF; 10-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Update - took it to dealer and they agree something is up with the vibration and clutch pedal action- I suggested possibly clutch issue as per the numerous TSB's on the early MT 2016's. I'm relatively certain the clutch needs replacing, but not sure if that cures the vibration issue. The response was they haven't really worked with any MT F Types so they are doing their homework. We'll see.
Also getting sound system sorted - apparently needs that TSB performed as well. This issue the service dept. was aware of.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Update - took it to dealer and they agree something is up with the vibration and clutch pedal action- I suggested possibly clutch issue as per the numerous TSB's on the early MT 2016's. I'm relatively certain the clutch needs replacing, but not sure if that cures the vibration issue. The response was they haven't really worked with any MT F Types so they are doing their homework. We'll see.
Also getting sound system sorted - apparently needs that TSB performed as well. This issue the service dept. was aware of.
If the clutch disc has worn unevenly or has thrown a piece of the lining it will be out of balance and cause a vibration.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If the clutch disc has worn unevenly or has thrown a piece of the lining it will be out of balance and cause a vibration.
Mine threw a spring (or more) that then caught intermittently in the dual-mass flywheel and caused the clutch to drag. Mine was difficult in that when it was OK it was OK, but when it wasn't, it was intermittent and difficult to get to misbehave. I had to drive for about an hour like a miscreant teenager (yes, I know that's redundant) with the technician in the passenger seat before it finally showed itself.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That's what I was thinking! Service Mgr indicated this AM nothing wrong - vibration is normal - which it likely is not although it is not severe. They don't have a MT to compare, but having driven mine and one with a proper clutch the difference is very real. Sending over the SSM on the updated parts from the clutch thread now to see if they can look further as there is apparently no TSB. The dealer is willing to keep looking into it which is positive. I just hope I can get it remedied sooner rather than later.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

The dealer is willing to keep looking into it which is positive. I just hope I can get it remedied sooner rather than later.
I hope so too. It took a while for me, and I needed to demonstrate a clear problem. AS soon as I did they were all over it though. I think this is one of the pains we'll be enduring as we cling to the Jurassic era technology that is the manual transmission. There are few of us left, so our plight will become even more in the minority.

Mine did not jettison any friction material, but they found mechanical bits in there once it was disassembled.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Mine did not jettison any friction material, but they found mechanical bits in there once it was disassembled.
My first clutch did exactly the same thing (at 800 miles), but it wouldn't disengage at all, so no issue demonstrating the problem.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:20 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Hate resurrecting an old thread, but this was the only one I could see that really had the same issue as I have been experiencing.

'16 V6S that I bought new and that got the clutch replacement around 1K miles. The vibration comes on decel and is in a narrow band around the 2K mark, most pronounced in 2nd and 3rd as noted by others in this thread. Aside from the annoyance of the vibration, all else seems to be normal and I do have north of 50K on it at this juncture (yeah, I drive a lot). It has not gotten any more pronounced, but has been noticeable for at least the past year.

With other manual transmissions, when an issue like this came up, it was often the flywheel but would ALSO get worse. I have not felt this one getting worse...

Old 09-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Mine started doing that early on, and I'd get occasional slippage. While the slippage got worse with mileage, the vibration did not seem to change after its appearance. The next stage in the decline was dragging, i.e. failure to fully disengage. When they replaced the clutch they also replaced the flywheel, and it has been fine ever since.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Hate resurrecting an old thread, but this was the only one I could see that really had the same issue as I have been experiencing.

'16 V6S that I bought new and that got the clutch replacement around 1K miles. The vibration comes on decel and is in a narrow band around the 2K mark, most pronounced in 2nd and 3rd as noted by others in this thread. Aside from the annoyance of the vibration, all else seems to be normal and I do have north of 50K on it at this juncture (yeah, I drive a lot). It has not gotten any more pronounced, but has been noticeable for at least the past year.

With other manual transmissions, when an issue like this came up, it was often the flywheel but would ALSO get worse. I have not felt this one getting worse...
49k on a Jag clutch. A clear suspect. Find a good Indy to install a Gen 4 clutch. Flywheel may need replacing as well, but that wouldn’t be the source of the vibration if your foot is off the clutch pedal. Does the vibration occur at the same speed regardless of the gear you’re in?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

That's what I was thinking! Service Mgr indicated this AM nothing wrong - vibration is normal - which it likely is not although it is not severe. They don't have a MT to compare, but having driven mine and one with a proper clutch the difference is very real. Sending over the SSM on the updated parts from the clutch thread now to see if they can look further as there is apparently no TSB. The dealer is willing to keep looking into it which is positive. I just hope I can get it remedied sooner rather than later.
I guess this is confirmation that, despite the known issues with the clutch, they STILL claim almost three and a half years later that this is normal.

I retrieved the car last Friday after being told it was 'normal,' only to have massive slipping last night. Documenting in THIS thread as well as the others for the benefit of any others who come along...