F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 R front lip screws coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 R front lip screws coming loose

My 2016 coupe R (purchased used a few months ago) is having issues with the front lip screws. I've definitely scraped the front a few times, as this car is probably the least reasonable choice for a car given the roads and driveways around this area . But is it normal for the screws to start coming out? The little protection underskirt thing has actually come off (well, the middle section came off, the sides are still attached). And now the lip (the part actually that's properly painted) is shaking loose. I've tried tightening the screws but the screws won't stay in.

Is this something I should be trying to get fixed through warranty while I still have it? Or would this have been caused by bottoming out in the front, and therefore something they won't pay for?

Old 12-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by maxiedaniels
My 2016 coupe R (purchased used a few months ago) is having issues with the front lip screws. I've definitely scraped the front a few times, as this car is probably the least reasonable choice for a car given the roads and driveways around this area . But is it normal for the screws to start coming out? The little protection underskirt thing has actually come off (well, the middle section came off, the sides are still attached). And now the lip (the part actually that's properly painted) is shaking loose. I've tried tightening the screws but the screws won't stay in.

Is this something I should be trying to get fixed through warranty while I still have it? Or would this have been caused by bottoming out in the front, and therefore something they won't pay for?
My 3 front whiskers scrape on a routine basis (H&R suspension). None of the screws ever loosened on their owns. A very small drop of blue Loctite on the threads should resolve the issue while still allowing you to dismantle as needed. (DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE).

Old 12-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Don't these screws thread into plastic? If so, the holes might be a bit enlarged/stripped. A three-second touch of a hot soldering gun would melt the holes smaller, so that the screws will hold better.

BTW, there are hook-type retainers that the 'whiskers' anchor to. If the whiskers are pushed out of the retainers (as I found on our car, when we bought it) then the screws have to do all the work themselves...and I don't think they are capable of that.