Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 V6S Active Exhaust Button Flashin

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 V6S Active Exhaust Button Flashin

Hello,

I am a newby on this forum., but I have been looking for an answer to the following question for quite some time without any success. Hopefully you experts over here can help me out.

I drive a 2016 F-Type V6S and whenever I am in "normal" mode and press the Active Exhaust Button, the led just flashes a couple times and doesn't stay on afterwards. I also don't think there is a noticeable difference in sound level either...
When put in "dynamic" mode the led stays on though, and I can turn it off as well. But again - I don't think it gets quieter when I de-activate the active exhaust?

When I test drove a V6S from the dealership I don't remember if it behaved in the same manner, but I don't think it did...

Also, it might or might not be related, but when cruising at highway speed there is a noticeable drone coming out of the exhaust. Not that it bothers me, but on many reviews it states that when in "quiet" mode there is no drone to be noticed on the highway...

Hope to hear your feedback! Thank you in advance.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I'd have the dealer look at it. On earlier years, there was a dedicated vacuum pump that actuated the active exhaust valve. For 2016 (I think), they deleted the pump and used engine vacuum, with a vacuum line running back to the valve. May be an issue with the vacuum line, or with the solenoid that switches the vacuum to the valves.

Just a guess...

Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I'd have the dealer look at it. On earlier years, there was a dedicated vacuum pump that actuated the active exhaust valve. For 2016 (I think), they deleted the pump and used engine vacuum, with a vacuum line running back to the valve. May be an issue with the vacuum line, or with the solenoid that switches the vacuum to the valves.

Just a guess...
+1. The flashing light must be indicating some kind of fault. The way you describe the sound behaving (and the flashing light) is definitely not normal. You are still under warranty, so don't hesitate taking it back to the dealer.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the swift replies. I will have the dealer check it out and post any updates when I have them.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Andries
Thanks for the swift replies. I will have the dealer check it out and post any updates when I have them.
It sounds like your symptoms were the same as what I experienced on my 2016 Base MT. Check out the remedy attached. I had originally thought the problem related to a reflash upgrade, but in the notes you'll see they found "Active exhaust not functioning properly — light doesn’t stay on, flashes a few times then off"

Attached Thumbnails 2016 V6S Active Exhaust Button Flashin-exhaust_ftype.jpg  

Last edited by bb_sam; 01-31-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by bb_sam
It sounds like your symptoms were the same as what I experienced on my 2016 Base MT. Check out the remedy attached. I had originally thought the problem related to a reflash upgrade, but in the notes you'll see they found "Active exhaust not functioning properly — light doesn’t stay on, flashes a few times then off"
Thanks! This sounds exactly like the problem I am experiencing. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have the time to check it out straight away, so made an appoinment for the 22nd of Feb.
Do you think it would be worth sharing this picture with them, or just wait to see whatever they come up with?

Old 01-31-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Never hurts to share another dealer's troubleshooting especially when it finds what that tech did.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Never hurts to share another dealer's troubleshooting especially when it finds what that tech did.
+1. In this case, if the bad pin is a recurring problem at that connection, it will save them from tearing the whole car apart if they look at that connection first.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Default Problem solved

Hi guys !

Thanks for your input above. I had the Jag at the dealership and apparently a connection came undone that would activate the switchable exhaust valves.
So apparently it looks like it might be a pretty common issue, but easy to fix if you know where to look for.

Off-topic but I also had a first oil change. After drainage only 4.5 litres of oil came out, whilst it was replaced by 7.2 litres.
The dealer had slight concerns on this and it will go back in a couple of weeks for further investigation, but no initial obvious oil leaks were found.. any suggestions??

Also (I'm sorry), the coolant circuit seemed to be pressurised to a level that was concerning for the dealer as well? I always thought these reservoirs should be pressurised, especially when the engine is warmed up. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks !