F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 cpo ftype-r

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 cpo ftype-r

I am buying an ftype out of state from florida from a jaguar dealership where it's been CPO'd (at that dealer). I haven't seen the car in person and only have pics to go by. Pics show everything is in order. But should I be worried about anything that I may miss by not seeing it in person? Any members with cpo ftype experience have any advice?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

does it have warranty? if it comes with warranty i wouldn't worry about much, just get the history of the vehicle, if there has been repetitive repairs on the same thing then i would worry, also look out for the paint and interior condition. even though those can be easily taken care of

Old 07-15-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Holy F type
does it have warranty? if it comes with warranty i wouldn't worry about much, just get the history of the vehicle, if there has been repetitive repairs on the same thing then i would worry, also look out for the paint and interior condition. even though those can be easily taken care of
Yes extended warranty till 2023. One owner. Clean carfax. 23k miles.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

i wouldn't worry about much, just make sure the car is in a clean condition.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Are you having it shipped to you without seeing in person? One of my business partners just bought low mileage, used 911 4S GTS (a very nice one). Dealer did video walkthrough walkthrough (live) with him on phone. Also he had ten or fourteen days to return at no cost. He had car it inspected after arrival. Two bent rims and some damage to the nose on the underside that was poorly repaired. The car had been in a minor front end accident that was revealed to him during the video walkthrough. He contacted the dealer after inspection and they are buying him two new wheels and having repair redone at a local shop at no cost to him. The original sticker on the car was $146k and he was buying it at under $100k as it was few years old, but low mileage.

Check into return policy, after inspection issues, warranty if items found, resolution process, etc. and see if you can get a live walk through of the car. It has worked out in above case. Takes some time, but if you can't take the time to go visit in person these additional steps and upfront discussion could save a lot of headache.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Are you having it shipped to you without seeing in person? One of my business partners just bought low mileage, used 911 4S GTS (a very nice one). Dealer did video walkthrough walkthrough (live) with him on phone. Also he had ten or fourteen days to return at no cost. He had car it inspected after arrival. Two bent rims and some damage to the nose on the underside that was poorly repaired. The car had been in a minor front end accident that was revealed to him during the video walkthrough. He contacted the dealer after inspection and they are buying him two new wheels and having repair redone at a local shop at no cost to him. The original sticker on the car was $146k and he was buying it at under $100k as it was few years old, but low mileage.

Check into return policy, after inspection issues, warranty if items found, resolution process, etc. and see if you can get a live walk through of the car. It has worked out in above case. Takes some time, but if you can't take the time to go visit in person these additional steps and upfront discussion could save a lot of headache.
That's crazy to hear. I guess the reason I mention CPO is because they do a 165 point check to make sure everything is in order, otherwise, they would not CPO a vehicle. I guess they could still potentially certify after "fixing" the car up and then pretend like nothing has ever happened before.

I'll take your advice and find out more about their policies and get a walk around. Appreciate it.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

As with any car, you can pay a local mechanic to do an inspection on your behalf. Even a quick and simple glance will be enough to identify things like the poor repair job in jaguny's example.
Personally I'd rather spend a hundred bucks or two on a third-party inspection up front than deal with trying to do a long-distance resolution on a repair or a return.

The following users liked this post:
firstjag84 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Make sure there is a return policy (and that it starts when you receive the vehicle or there is enough time in the policy to ship, receive and inspect the car). One you receive the car, have a local dealership or mechanic go over the car. That will usually costs you $50-100 or so which is worth it.

firstjag84 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by firstjag84
I am buying an ftype out of state from florida from a jaguar dealership where it's been CPO'd (at that dealer). I haven't seen the car in person and only have pics to go by. Pics show everything is in order. But should I be worried about anything that I may miss by not seeing it in person? Any members with cpo ftype experience have any advice?
I did the same thing July 2018. Had been looking for the car I wanted for about 7 months (MT 6-speed S was the hard part). I live in Chicago, found the car on a Friday morning at the West Palm Beach, FL Jaguar dealership. Got a $74 one-way ticket to fly down the next morning to inspect the car and buy it. Spent pretty much all Friday afternoon with the salesman on the phone and email getting me everything on the car's background, photos and what they had done to it to bring up to CPO status. This being said, I was ready to walk if there was something wrong or I didn't like, but it was nearly flawless upon inspection. I drove it the 1,400 miles home that afternoon and Sunday. I really enjoyed dealing with the guys at the West Palm dealership. The car has been near perfection to date (put about 10,500 miles on it), not even a rattle.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rbsj
I did the same thing July 2018. Had been looking for the car I wanted for about 7 months (MT 6-speed S was the hard part). I live in Chicago, found the car on a Friday morning at the West Palm Beach, FL Jaguar dealership. Got a $74 one-way ticket to fly down the next morning to inspect the car and buy it. Spent pretty much all Friday afternoon with the salesman on the phone and email getting me everything on the car's background, photos and what they had done to it to bring up to CPO status. This being said, I was ready to walk if there was something wrong or I didn't like, but it was nearly flawless upon inspection. I drove it the 1,400 miles home that afternoon and Sunday. I really enjoyed dealing with the guys at the West Palm dealership. The car has been near perfection to date (put about 10,500 miles on it), not even a rattle.
Yea I was thinking about doing the same thing but I don't know about the long drive back to Dallas from St Petersburg. I have sciatica and that's probably not the best thing for my back so I'm going to have it shipped. But I'm hopeful this car will be in great condition like yours turned out to be. I've already seen the CPO sheet so I know they looked at alot of things. Sent email to them about policies and will proceed from there.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by firstjag84
That's crazy to hear. I guess the reason I mention CPO is because they do a 165 point check to make sure everything is in order, otherwise, they would not CPO a vehicle. I guess they could still potentially certify after "fixing" the car up and then pretend like nothing has ever happened before.

I'll take your advice and find out more about their policies and get a walk around. Appreciate it.
Jaguar does have a uniform CPO inspection but not all dealers perform the same level of diligence. Some want to give a “new car” buying experience and others (like my local dealer) pass the vehicle by the skin of its teeth. I looked for an R for almost 2 years and visited dealers with cars that looked and smelled new and others that were baskets cases - all of them were CPO. I was fortunate to find a close-to-flawless car in the exact color-options combination I wanted. Like the other responses, it also depends on the price. My car has 13k and needed new tires (which I didn’t know about), but I was buying for an excellent price and honestly figured that if it arrived in 90% of the described condition I would be fine. That said, it was better than described and I was actually
happy to have my own tire choice. I have also purchased approx. 12 vehicles over the internet/phone and flew to pick them up. I have only used the back half of the round trip ticket once. Best of luck.

firstjag84 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

firstjag84, I bought my CPO F type from Florida and had it shipped -- upper level on the transporter. All has been quite successful on this my 11th Jaguar, as well as 2 other CPO's in the past, and one brand new. I'm selling this one, and happy to tell you more about it either on the forum or on the phone (707)688-1015 The warranty runs to 2/22 or 100k miles, now with 14,600. I have it listed above in Marketplace and prefer to place it with someone who appreciates the F, the Jaguar brand as I have learned to do.
Doc

Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to beware of with the CPO warranty is that the exclusion list is very long (posted in the forum). It's nowhere near the same coverage as the original factory warranty and probably one of the reasons some of the dealerships aren't too thorough on the inspection part.

Chawumba (09-20-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by millst
Another thing to beware of with the CPO warranty is that the exclusion list is very long (posted in the forum). It's nowhere near the same coverage as the original factory warranty and probably one of the reasons some of the dealerships aren't too thorough on the inspection part.
actually, this is not exactly true. The CPO warranty does not cover wear and tear (not a long list) but the list of what it does cover is very long and very detailed. Some time ago I did post copies of the Canadian CPO warranty coverage...pages and pages. I assume that the coverage would be the same in every market.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Sure, while your term "wear and tear" is indeed short, it equates to a ton of things that are not covered. Regardless of the actual physical length of the included/excluded set of items, my point stands. The OP should factor this into the risk assessment. A few examples:

SRS light comes on? Not covered by CPO.
Cracked [plastic] coolant lines? Not covered by CPO.
Stereo stops working? Not covered by CPO.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Well, my CPO booklet Canadian includes under Electrical:: Amplifier,CD Changer, CD-ROM, DVD player, Radio,Radio link harness, Screen, ....and under Heating/Cooling Components: Pipe- connecting, Pipe- coolant bleed, Pipe-heater feed, Pipe-overflow, Pipe-radiator bleed, Pipe-thermostat bleed, Pipe-water, Pipe-water bypass, Tank-expansion, Thermostat, Water heater pipe... I just read these quickly from the very long lists - so I am not sure where you got your information...Here are just some of the pages of coverage:

Last edited by sov211; 07-23-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Lucky you, we get hosed here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...n-list-213059/

My dealer goes by the same sheet.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Lucky you, we get hosed here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...n-list-213059/

My dealer goes by the same sheet.
Too bad. Perhaps you might consider emigrating to Canada? There would be other advantages too. Back to the CPO warranty: the exclusion list cited in that thread states that the warranty will not cover audio equipment NOT supplied by Jaguar, which, being interpreted, means that it will cover OEM equipment, no?

Last edited by sov211; 07-23-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:55 PM

I might freeze Yes, think I misspoke on that one.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

I might freeze Yes, think I misspoke on that one.
You wouldn't freeze. No "winter" where I live - on an island in the Pacific.

Quick Reply: 2017 cpo ftype-r