F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F type Extended Warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 2017 F type Extended Warranty or not?

it's about that time for us 2017 F type owners to lose our warranty. I've looked into Jaguar's exteneded...seems great at 6 years or 60k miles.... bumper to bumper electrical and mechanical. almost 4k is the price. .... what do you owners recommend? are these f types reliable? mine is 2017 F type S with 25100 miles

thanks for any help !

Old 12-15-2021, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I have one on my 2016 R that runs through 2025 and I like having the peace of mind that comes from it, but honestly this car has been shockingly reliable (watch me tempt the automotive gods here.) At the end of the day, you probably won't come out ahead financially by buying the warranty, but $4k is a small price to pay for not having to ever think about the possibility of some kind of catastrophic expense coming up.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

It's really an individual owner decision. Do you think you'll get $4k worth of 'covered' work over that time? For me, it always seemed harder than it should be qualify a fix as something that failed before it's time rather than wear and tear. With my other cars, it's just been easier to skip extended warranties and just pay for whatever (if anything) breaks.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you SURE it is 6 years or 60,000 miles or is it UPTO 6 years and 60k miles. So you are paying 4k for essentially one year. I would really like to know as I am currently shopping f-types and third party extended warranties (reputable ones) are about 8 Grand for bumper to bumper 4 year warranties. I have not specifically asked my Jaguar dealer, but here is what I found online. "While the plan can come in different lengths, we noticed one common option is 7 years or 100,000 miles. Remember, those limits are measured from the in-service date and total mileage on the car. So, if your car is four years old, this plan would only add three more years of coverage (depending on the mileage). "

The following 2 users liked this post by bigbadorange:
Mahjik (12-15-2021), RGPV6S (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought a 3yr 60k mile warranty for my 2015 F-Type R @32k miles, and found that it doesn't cover everything I expected it to. My car, unfortunately, had the lower coolant pipe leak issue. I took it to Jag, and was told that the warranty wouldn't cover the entire cost of the repair, which may include the water pump. They'd cover the upper/lower coolant pipe, labor, and gaskets, but if the water pump is also bad, they wouldn't cover it. They wanted pictures of everything once the supercharger was removed, and would then send out their own inspector before making a decision. So, I bought all parts and gaskets needed, then did the work myself in my garage! This was my first time ever buying an extended warranty, and I never will again!

Old 12-15-2021, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

You can figure that the expected value of the repairs covered by the extended warranty are about $1.6k. Of course, you could "luck out" that your car is a lemon and the warranty saves your bacon. You know your car - at least up until this point. At least with a JLR warranty, they'll probably be around and reasonably forthright in honoring it.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:08 PM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

I bought the Maxcare from CarMax when I bought my 2016 in October. It had 12900 miles. I bought the 5 year 75000 mile with $150 deductible for $3100. It's the first warranty I've ever bought in 29 cars and 40 years of vehicle buying.

The following users liked this post:
dwmilton (12-30-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It's really an individual owner decision. Do you think you'll get $4k worth of 'covered' work over that time? For me, it always seemed harder than it should be qualify a fix as something that failed before it's time rather than wear and tear. With my other cars, it's just been easier to skip extended warranties and just pay for whatever (if anything) breaks.
As always, the voice of reason—and intelligence—“speaks”.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm against non-dealer extended warranties. I bought one for my last two cars and they don't cover much of anything. If it breaks on a Tuesday, you're only covered on Wednesday. Thermostat goes....sorry, we only cover the water pump. I will say that my F-Type has a CPO warranty and I did opt to purchase the additional year. I got them down to $1000 and a Jaguar jacket if I remember correctly, so it wasn't horrible for the piece of mind it gives me.

I'm thrilled that I grabbed a 2017 that has 1 year left on the factory and a CPO that doesn't expire until December 2024. I hit the lottery on finding a 2017 that didn't have the warranty punched until December of 2017.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:52 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

If the JLR was truly on our side, they would provide it's owners with the data necessary to make prudent decisions.

When I was a young man just out of school and entering my profession, I sought out income replacement insurance as guided by all the financial planning experts. Although several reputable insurance folks could tell me what the chances were that I would have an incident that would require income replacement during their working career, none of the insurance companies would reveal what the risk was of a 30 year old having a disability in that 12 month period [because it was so incredibly low]. This is why I decided that it was a con [and fortunately made it to 65 without an incident].

Just like the disability insurance folks, the extended warranty mob is doing the same exact thing. If JLR would be transparent and make available the statistics that would show what the historic percentages were of so and so failure, then we could all make informed choices on whether an extended warranty would be the smart choice [and, as well, prices would be MUCH more reasonable]. Instead, they sell fear of the unknown potential catastrophe.

Shame on JLR and the entire extended warranty con. We need to get beyond this type of white collar grift.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Please keep the advice and opinions coming! I've also got a '17 (put in service in early '16), but my CPO expires in July and I am a bit nervous, so I'm contemplating an extended warranty as well. Jaguar told me the best warranty they can offer is a 3rd part through EFG at a cost of $3200 for an additional 3 years and 45K miles. My car has an excellent service history, no major repairs over its 50K miles. Only an O2 sensor a few weeks ago.

Sparky H (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 09:37 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Same here Son.... Will follow this thread closely. I do have the VAP Pulley and Tune though and do not know if that upgrade would nullify or temper any E/W..

Thanks All,
Merry Christmas Blessings Abound
Happy Hanukkiah
Merry Quanzi
Wesolych Swiant

Old 12-22-2021, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by synthesis
Shame on JLR and the entire extended warranty con. We need to get beyond this type of white collar grift.
Is there another vehicle manufacturer which provides that level of insight?

TheMoke (12-24-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:15 PM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Here's the problem (s) with warranties. Even under the 5/60, when your car is brought in (example) for a transmission replacement, the number of hours of labor the dealer will be paid by the factory is fewer than would be paid by a retail customer who is out of warranty. When the same customer needs a transmission, is out of the 5/60 but has an aftermarket warranty, chances are great that the aftermarket company will want to pay a lesser number of labor hours AND a lower hourly labor rate. Add in the potential hours of phone time and adjuster visits and funding issues and I just kicked my own *** for buying a Maxcare.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was shopping for an F-Type in the summer of 2017, nearly every proposed "warranty" was: 1) really a contractual service plan (very different thing from a legal perspective); 2) had many exclusions, often had deductibles, along with other loopholes; and 3) ran concurrently with the existing remaining factory warranty rather than only consecutively triggering after the end of the factory warranty.

I said no to those offers and... my car has actually been reliable other than an intermittent O2 sensor and having the sticky buttons replaced several months before my warranty ended.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:30 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Is there another vehicle manufacturer which provides that level of insight?
Not that I know of. Obviously, this is a huge profit center for dealers, so they won't come clean until the market or regulations force the issue.

I would certainly consider an extended warranty if we were able to figure out whether it made financial sense.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Same here Son.... Will follow this thread closely. I do have the VAP Pulley and Tune though and do not know if that upgrade would nullify or temper any E/W..
With any modification, you can figure the extended warranty is pointless. Engine issues would immediately be subject to rejection. Even something like a transmission failure "could" be blamed on the extra stress you imposed with engine mods. It should be OK for a water pump (if the warranty company is still in business), but it makes for a fairly expense insurance policy for the price of a water pump (that they may want to be a rebuilt one).

Old 12-24-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought my 2016 R last year from a dealer in Chicago that my cousin works at. I normally do not buy any extended warranties but since I was concerned since this is my first Jag I did simply since my cousin worked me a deal on a 4 year bumper to bumper with 0 deductible. Again, if I need it, it will probably be like warranties I bought when I was younger that never seem to cover the issue.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:30 AM
Received 305 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Bank it until you need it

The only recent experience I had with a vehicle extended warranty was one on the wheels for the 2018 corvette. At the time, we believed it covered 'road rash', but not until I had a scratched wheel, were we informed that it was wheel DAMAGE... like a dent from a pothole or some such. Needless to say, we cancelled the warranty, got the pro-rated money back and put it in a savings acct labeled "Corvette repair". This car gets maybe 2000 miles a year, regular use, just not alot of miles. On the other hand, for household appliances, a reputable repair tech advised me to get the extended warranties for appliances because of the boards used in them. It covered the transmission on a washing machine and a turntable motor for a microwave. However, these EWs aren't that pricey. We decided to park the dollars we would have spent on a vehicle EW, put it in a savings acct ('reserves for replacement') and use it if and when. So far, my 2017 has performed well. No worn off buttons, but think I have an O2 issue which is with the dealer right now. The tether for the gas cap snapped, so hope that is all covered under the factory warranty which expires the end of March 2022.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by synthesis
Not that I know of. Obviously, this is a huge profit center for dealers, so they won't come clean until the market or regulations force the issue.

I would certainly consider an extended warranty if we were able to figure out whether it made financial sense.
The reason I asked that question (even though I already knew the answer) was to point out that you are singling out JLR for something no car manufacturer does. I'm not saying it's right but they aren't any better or worse in that regards to their competitors.

Quick Reply: 2017 F type Extended Warranty or not?