Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Lobster Run

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts
Default Correction:

While it's probably not all that original - though the shirt will be - but henceforth it's gonna be called: The 2018 Blueberry Blast*/**

Likely to be a MINIMUM of 10 F-Types and a MAXIMUM of 15 (Roughly 20-30 people.)***

*And that's assuming there is a 2018 Blueberry Blast.
**Hummm. I just Googled "Blueberry Blast" and a strain of cannabis pops up. Perhaps I should call it The 2018 Blueberry Banzai?
***And if we assume DJS, MBourne, & Unhingd - presumably with brother and wives - attend (and my organizing it is contingent on them attending) that leaves 11 F-Types left and 12-22 people.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I KNOW I speak for EVERY LOBSTER RUNNER in saying: you're too kind (and I do not need or desire ANY accolades) and you're too generous BUT a welcome member of OUR growing family. I'm certain that others will continue to show their appreciation to Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover AND you.

The only remaining question is: are you in for the 2018 Jaguar Blueberry Run?
If all of you will have me I wouldn't miss it!

So glad you committed to the next event..... 2018 Blueberry Run.....has a nice ring to it....

Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaineJagMike
If all of you will have me I wouldn't miss it!

So glad you committed to the next event..... 2018 Blueberry Run.....has a nice ring to it....
Sorry Mike but I've already changed the name. Where've you been???

Have you? We wouldn't think of having it without you! That's one more F-Type and likely 2 more people...and I should be committed.

The following users liked this post:
MaineJagMike (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

As always I'm in!

Old 10-09-2017, 04:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
...and I should be committed.
We just sort of assumed that you had been, and escaped.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Today's pictures are up at the Dropbox link. We took back roads to avoid the major traffic incident on I-95. Lots of traffic, but still a nice drive. I'll do a final write up sometime this week.

Thanks, Jay, and the State of Maine, for your fine hospitality.
Dave, I am so impressed with the photography, and fine pictures that you sent us all. It is truly a priceless gift to say the least, and I was impressed at the run with your artistic capabilities, hard work in exercising these capabilities, and now the ultimate gift, the "RESULT"! Just fantastic, and couldn't thank you enough for doing this.

I also got stuck in that traffic, and today comping home from Boston, more traffic. All together I had 5.5 hours added to the originally routed drive as a result :-(! But I still think it was all worth it beyond a doubt!

Thanks again!!!!

DJS (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default People meeting people and our cars.......

In life there are a lot of good things to focus on. However, I have experienced a fabulous event this past weekend in Maine....which has a thread called "The Lobster Run". There are a lot of back and forth sentiments, ribbing etc. between folks, expressing the emotions "hot off the presses" of a great event. I took a separate thread in that there was a huge set of learnings for a guy who has been around a while, yet I wanted to share my heartfelt damned good experiences with runs such as this with members of the forum. All positives, but learnings that I felt compelled to express. You probably won't understand the context surrounding the messages on the Lobster Run as you didn't participate. There is a lot of great humor, sentiments, pictures and sharing. I thought, too bad most folks don't know the sense of humor of the Jersey guys, or the dinner testing of our comprehension of Canada and it's references & history etc., So to convey my views on what this means I separated this post into several sections which I hope you enjoy and can relate to in one way or another. Here goes:

The event:
There were folks who participated from Canada, Ohio, PA, Boston, Michigan, Maine, NJ (3 couples) etc. We were well coordinated by the leader, and disciplined on timing, rallying, following, visiting, learning, eating, and beyond. It was an extra special event. I write this in that events such as this surrounding people, cars, and enjoying the regional splendor of any location can have a lasting impression, and make the next section come to life.

The People:
The mix of people, who for the most part didn't know each other at all, and some that did from previous runs/connections was extraordinary. What are the odds of a mix of generations, regions, countries, genders, etc. getting along so well from 7 in the AM until at times 10PM, and doing what we all did best, enjoying each other, driving and beyond. Low odds, but it worked well. I would find it hard to think that this could be replicated, but my faith in good folks feels that it can, and should be with all of you in your regions of the globe. It just makes for a better socialization experience, and adds so much luster to the "sometimes" mixed up negative world we live in. Although, I for one can't think about putting on miles like this multiple times a year, would still suggest you do this at least "once" a year in your regions of the globe and hopefully replicate the experiences. Yes the people experience that I had with a great group of folks. RickyJay did a great job in leading it......, coordinating it, and beyond aka "The Lobster Run". With this said, a good coordination is in order to succeed at this, but it goes beyond this, I equate it to an example, i.e. my church....., it is a beautiful structure in the archdiocese here in NJ, old, well kept etc. However, the thing comes to life with the people, no different than the run which came to life with the folks that attended. Senses of humor, knowledge of vehicles, backgrounds from all over the place and it worked. I suggest to all when you see a run of sorts in your neck of the woods....go for it if you can. It is a great experience.

The Vehicle:
This was for the F-Type, and I pushed it to the highest limits since I first purchased it a year ago. I put on 800+ miles, the most in one weekend since I got the vehicle. It performed flawlessly without question. The get up and go, road handling, power, look etc., was just perfect for me. To see the cars all lined up , running lights looking so smooth and sexy, the roar of the motors on acceleration/idle, etc. etc. was just phenomenal and satisfying. These are fabulous cars (mine is the 16R). It hugged the road nicely, with authority, and not a beat missed. Just made me happy that I have this Jag, and happy that I plan to keep it for a long time to come.

JLRNA:
They are a great group of folks trying to make the brand grow. I believe they did this with the two that I own, F-Pace and subject of this threat the "F-TYpe"! I kept thinking that I wish them success with the current and "new models" to be released. The stronger they get, the greater the satisfaction I get with remarkable vehicles such as mine. My positivity was wrapped around me with this car, and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face!

The jaw dropping looks, thumbs up, head turning, cheering, statements "it's a jag" and beyond was rewarding. I never buy a car for others to brag about re my car, but do it for me to feel satisfaction for myself. However, I was taken back 100's of times on the highway, local town roads, people looking outside of windows of coffee shops giving the thumbs up, smiling, and acknowledging the beautiful work of art with the F-Type. Gave me a good feeling that "the vehicle I admire for me" was also a vehicle that gave satisfaction to others to look at and admire as well. Thus, JLRNA you have been doing some great things with these cars.....keep up the good work. I just find, however, difficulty in thinking you can outpace the original several years of F-Types, as it is just a perfect work of art without question which will be difficult to mess with and outpace!

So, in summary, event(s), people, cars and combination is powerful, and so self satisfying. I wish you all an opportunity to participate in events such as this, and as fellow Jag owners, "people meeting people" and other value piglets too long to reference here, it is just a lot of damned good fun, and genuine interaction. Think about one for yourself to lead, participate in, and enjoy....it is a hell of an experience to say the least.

Enjoy!

The following 5 users liked this post by slojotaa:
DJS (10-09-2017), Jim F (10-10-2017), MaineJagMike (10-10-2017), RickyJay52 (10-10-2017), Tman003 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe, very well written. Couldn’t have expressed it any better!

Edited teaser of what’s to come....

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=VPEAR3

Enjoy!

Last edited by Tman003; 10-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.
slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
As always I'm in!
Hi
I think it was you guys several cars behind us at the detour re-route from 95. I saw you several cars back for around 5 miles, but then lost you. What a backup, and the alternate was chock full of shoppers and single lane to double lane and back mess!!!
Hope you guys have a great rest of week!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tman003
Edited teaser of what’s to come....

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=VPEAR3

Enjoy!
Now you have me "pumped"....I need to get one of these, as the picture is awesome, clear and I know you have great footage. You were in great spots running great footage! Thanks, and look forward to it. Talk soon! hugs from Maria and I to the Mrs.

Tman003 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Nati + Mrs would be in for a blueberry themed return to Maine. On the heels of over 2000 miles ending today, next year I might catch a flight and buy an SVR from Mike.

Shame about that break in period though ... not that we ever exceeded the speed limit, or 4000 rpm. At least I don't think we did. Still trying to work out the metric conversions with John.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nati:
Mbourne (10-10-2017), slojotaa (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
Nati + Mrs would be in for a blueberry themed return to Maine. On the heels of over 2000 miles ending today, next year I might catch a flight and buy an SVR from Mike.

Shame about that break in period though ... not that we ever exceeded the speed limit, or 4000 rpm. At least I don't think we did. Still trying to work out the metric conversions with John.
I was careful to follow this advice:

BREAKING-IN

The vehicle is built using high-precision manufacturing methods, but the moving parts of the engine must still bed in relative to one another. The process occurs mainly in the first 2 000 miles (3 000 km) of operation.

During this breaking-in period of 2 000 miles (3 000 km):
  1. Avoid frequent cold starts followed by short-distance driving.
  2. Preferably take longer trips.
  3. Do not fully press the accelerator pedal during starts and normal driving.
  4. Avoid continuous operation at high engine speed and abrupt stops.
  5. Do not participate in sports driving schools, or similar.
In addition, specifically up to 1 200 miles (2 000 km):

Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do not exceed an engine speed of 4500 rpm (revolutions per minute) and a road speed of 105 mph (170 km/h).

Last edited by MaineJagMike; 10-10-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling...thanks Jay!
Brock (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Default FYI

So I am continuing the process of thanking some people - I just dropped off two bouquet of flowers for the Director of Visitor Experience at The Portland Museum of Art as well as for the Assistant to the Director of the Museum itself. I also dropped off one of our gorgeous LOGO debossed Moleskine journals for the Director.

As I was strolling back towards my office* I dropped in for a coffee at my favorite coffee house, The Speckled Ax on Congress Street. 2016 "Runners" might recall that my friend who owns the place supplied us with his delicious coffee last year, gratis, and besides my grabbing a cup of coffee I also picked up a gift certificate there which a client of mine bought for me for my birthday. Matt, the owner, isn't there all too often but just before I left he showed up...in...just my luck, the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run T-Shirt! Talk about a coincidence.

*Turns out I never made it there. Not yet at least. I left Speckled Ax and texted one of my dear friends who owns one of the best restaurants in all of Maine and which is located just one block from the coffee house. He in turn told me he was just about to text me 1) to pick up a gift a mutual friend left for me and 2) to invite me to lunch today; they are only open for dinner but when you're friends who owns restaurants...well...I'm delighted to have lunch with him and his brother and his son (his son is the Executive Chef here). I'm here now typing this and doing my other work - yes, I have work besides planning these things - as well as calling the son saying IF I do a 2018 event I MUST have one of our dinners here. As you already know it's not an easy task for a restaurant to accommodate 20-30 people BUT I have already started the arm-twisting with this amazing place and amazingly dear friends.

One restaurant down - maybe [I really don't want to stress them out] - a few more to go.

Mike from Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover...please start setting aside your budget for next year's event , and happy to have you join us on the F-Type Forum. A welcome addition indeed.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-10-2017 at 11:31 AM.
MaineJagMike (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

In life there are a lot of good things to focus on. However, I have experienced a fabulous event this past weekend in Maine....which has a thread called "The Lobster Run"....
Joe, thanks, it is much of what I wanted to say. Some personal notes and shout-outs:

Great to meet Jay. Again, big thanks to him for the work of conceiving, curating, orchestrating, sweating the details, and for being the interesting, witty, kind and modest? (naw) bon vivant and Main(e) man that he is. A true mensch.

Being late-comers it was Liz we met first when we arrived at the Black Point Inn. She and Isabel hit it off immediately. A great lady and Jay's better half.

Thanks to and truly appreciate the effort Dave S put in to document the whole thing with high quality and artful photography. And thanks to Alen Tar for bringing his GoPro!

Mike O'Rourke: a for-real car/bike guy and a JLR dealer! Thanks very much to him for the support, gifts, breakfast and all. Wish he was my local dealer. Then again he's just two and a quarter hours away....
PS: Someone needs to take home that beautiful SVR he drove.

Echoing Joe's words, a great, fun group of folks, diverse but with many common interests too. After all we each own F-types, but each is a bit different. Great to meet you all.

The visual and aural impact of our Squadron of F-types (or is it a Pride, a Jamboree, a Shadow, or a Menace? Discuss.) is still reverberating around my brain. Being part of that spectacle is something I'll never forget.

Exclusive tour of the Owls Head Transportation Museum by John (Mac) McComb, an ex-pro racer who drove with Carroll Shelby. "Are you kidding?" "No."

I wish Captain Jeff Lange of Wiscasset Police was the Chief of Police in my town. Great guy.

Not only fulfilled a long-time wish to chow down a lobster roll at Red's Eats, but did it incredible style roaring into town, through the traffic with Captain Jeff's help, no waiting in the hour+ line, free drinks and desserts, and yet with gratitude by a grateful hostess.

Much appreciation and thanks to the Portland head Lighthouse staff for the incredibly rare and privileged access.

Hoped to meet Lance (Unhinged), sorry he couldn't make it. I had to go it alone representing the three-pedal believers. Thanks to him though for his support (we know what that was).

Too much more I could/should mention (and we missed the first 18hours!) but will end it there for now.

Last edited by Jim F; 10-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jim F:
DJS (10-17-2017), MaineJagMike (10-10-2017), slojotaa (10-10-2017), Tman003 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Jim for the shout out.

While I can't exactly be a wall-flower to get half of what I accomplish, I also truly do NOT have, or aspire to have, a big ego. I actually would like to be a bit more modest (Liz reminds me of that in case I forget) and you are quite right in that Liz IS my better half. Then again, show me ANY of the women who accompanied us this weekend who wasn't. I'm glad you and lovely Isabel got a chance to spend time with Liz as she is the most remarkable woman I have ever known (and it's not like I've lived under rock much if not any of my life.)

Happy you joined us and hope you'll stay in touch.

Best regards,
Jay

P.S. As you as well aware, there is NO compliment a man can receive greater than being called a "mensch". So I thank you very much for that. For those unaware, it's a Yiddish word essentially meaning "a true gentleman."

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-10-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

A gentle rib of course. Actually I think you're pretty well-calibrated in the ego dept.

And couldn't agree more about the spouses.

-J

Old 10-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jim F

PS: Someone needs to take home that beautiful SVR he drove.

If anyone is interested in that SVR Convertible I would be happy to provide a VERY GENEROUS discount and most importantly - I HAVE NOT REMOVED the 2017 Lobster Run stickers from it - which should ADD to the costbut I'll include them in the deal....

slojotaa (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I was actually considering it give me a call

Old 10-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Prophizee
I was actually considering it give me a call
The stickers?

Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
The stickers?
The "Fall" green 2017 Jaguar Lobster Run stickers Marko produced for us and which we placed on our cars. Still on mine..

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.