Sponsored by:

2017 Lobster Run

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Some choice shots:

The following 8 users liked this post by Nati:
buickfunnycar.com (10-18-2017), DJS (10-17-2017), jaguny (10-20-2017), Jim F (10-11-2017), MaineJagMike (10-11-2017), Mbourne (10-11-2017), slojotaa (10-17-2017), Tman003 (10-10-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Time for the 2017 Lobster Run wrap-up. I cheated and got Jay's assistance, as there's no way I could keep up with the names of all the great folks whose efforts made this a simply terrific get-together. I apologize in advance for omissions; future edits may occur.

Thanks, in no particular order, to the following...

The Press Hotel - Albert Thayer, Sales Manager, and to Valet Manager Nate Cloutier and all of his outstanding team of valets, and to the friendly staff (and to Zac for his drone footage; taken on his day off! I'll post his videos when I get them.)

Maine Mead Works - Ben Alexander for the very enjoyable tasting, interesting tour, and nice glasses

OTTO Pizza - Anthony Allen & Mike Keon, for wonderfully varied and delicious pizza!

Hardshore Distilling Company - Jordan Milne, for interesting gin concoctions, and neat leather coasters

The Purple House - Krista Kern; also thanks to Krista's equally talented husband Erik for coming out to greet us

Portland Museum of Art - Thanks to the Office of the Director Mark Bessire and Assistant to the Director Jennifer Graves and Visitor Experience and PMA Store Manager Danielle Farr for our visit to the Portland Museum of Art and access to the Winslow Homer Studio

Bangor Savings Bank and President & CEO Bob Montgomery-Rice - for sponsoring our visit to The Portland Museum of Art and the special tour of The Winslow Homer Studio on Prouts Neck.

Black Point Inn - General Manager Landace Porta and Events Coordinator Josh Belanger, for a nice lunch, and for allowing us to park on their lawn

Scales - Dana Street and GM Michael Burke

Standard Baking Co. - Alison Pray and Matt James; for providing us with a tasty way to start our day as well as supplying all of us - including the police - with lemon tarts!

Owls Head Transportation Museum - Executive Director Kevin Bedford for special access to the museum and its exhibits as well as thanks to Niki Janczura and Sophie Gabrion and a special shout out and thanks to our tour guide, former race car driver for Carroll Shelby - and for putting up with Zee - John "Mac" McComb!

Red’s Eats - Debbie, Cindy, Joey & David Gagnon; thanks for the best lobster roll on the planet, the amazing (reserved) table-side service, extra sides orders and dessert, and warm send-off! Not to mention no lines.

L.L. Bean - President & CEO Stephen Smith and His Executive Assistant Beth LeBlanc for the spectacular monogrammed L.L. Bean Boat Totes with our LOGO, and for reserved parking.

Chaval - Damian Sansonetti and Ilma Lopez

Portland Head Light - Matthew Sturgis and Robert Malley from the Town of Scarborough and, of course, Jeanne Gross without whom our visit to Portland Head Light would not have happened.

Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover - Mike O'Rourke As well as Paul Sprague (for coming in on his day off), for a nice lunch at Black Point Inn, for the great notebooks embossed with the Lobster Run logo, for opening up for us on Sunday, providing terrific potato donuts from Holy Donut, and for the very nice computer bags!

Joe Slota - for working with JLRNA to get us the great Jaguar down vests (presumably goose down, not jaguar down...)

Continental Tire - Director of Sales Sean McDermaid, for the beautiful tee shirts

Lance "Unhingd" Hoboy and Rob at Proform Auto Detailing - for the detailer and towels

Downeast Editor In Chief Kathleen Fleury - for supplying everyone with a copy of the quintessential magazine for the region

Thanks to the law enforcement community, who provided great assistance getting us through tough intersections while keeping the convoy together:

Chief Jeffrey Lange, Wiscasset Police Department as well as Officer Craig Worster - for exceptional traffic control and watching over our group of vehicles! Also a shout out to the owner of Le Garage - unfortunately now closed - for allowing us to park in front of her place
Rockland Police Dept - Chief of Police Bruce Boucher & Sgt. Ken Smith
Knox County Sheriff's Department
Thomaston Police Department.
Lincoln County Sheriff's Department and Lt. Brendan Kane
Scarborough Police Department and Chief Robbie Moulton and his Executive Assistant Cathy Chandler and Sgt. Tim Barker for helping us all get through heavy traffic on Route 1 on our way to the Black Point Inn.
Portland Police Department and Chief Michael Sauschuck
Gardiner Police Department and Chief James Toman and Officer Sam Quintana
Wiscasset Police Department and Officer Craig Worster
Freeport Police Department and Chief Sue Nourse and Lt. Nate Goodman
Brunswick Police Department and Commander Thomas Garrepy

Attendees (what a fun group!):
Dave Sperry [DJS] and brother Scott Sperry
Marko & Tamela [Mbourne]
Joe & Maria [slojotaa]
Zeeshaan & Danielle [Prophizee]
Shaun [ShaunPA]
Justin & Christine [Nati]
Jim & Isabel [JimF]
Jay Levine & Elizabeth Ernst [RickyJay52]
John & Jenn [fjmviper]
Alen & Lara [Tman003]
Alan & Lynn [awd]
Mike O'Rourke [MaineJagMike]

And a huge thanks to our hosts, Jay Levine and Elizabeth Ernst- wow! "A good time was had by all", indeed.

Last edited by DJS; 10-18-2017 at 08:37 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by DJS:
buickfunnycar.com (10-18-2017), DuhCar (10-18-2017), jaguny (10-20-2017), Jim F (10-18-2017), RickyJay52 (10-17-2017), Tman003 (10-17-2017), Unhingd (10-17-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

It truly was such a great event. Can’t wait for the next one.

The following 2 users liked this post by ShaunPA:
DuhCar (10-18-2017), RickyJay52 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

When I read the post summing up the trip, I got a "positive" feel all over again, reflecting upon it. It is an outstanding, concise well written summary that truly captures the "moments that mattered" to Maria and I. Thanks for the post that has such meaning.

You folks are awesome people, and not a one of us had any problem getting along, smiling, joking, chatting, driving, and being what life should be all about...."warm spirited and caring".

The following 3 users liked this post by slojotaa:
Mbourne (10-18-2017), RickyJay52 (10-17-2017), Tman003 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

While I'd like think the time and memories we all shared are inedibly and forever etched in our minds (and hearts) having these wonderful photographs - and "thank you write-up" - does help us relive our experience together so thanks must also go to DJS.

As I've already said, no event - at least one I'm hosting - is complete without the talented and keen eye of Mr. Sperry*

*There's no way you can be, should be, expected to remember anyone's name who helped grease the wheels for our event Dave (with the possible exception of mine...and even then I wouldn't blame you.)

P.S. Nobody mentioned it so I will. Let's all remember that we are all one breathe away from the end. In other words: embrace life to the fullest or, in Latin, carpe diem (seize the day.) Why do I mention this? Simply because you'll recall that during the kick-off of this years event I read a poem aloud written by one of our departed Forum members who passed away last year after attending the 2016 event. I cannot help but recall his face smiling ear-to-ear throughout but particularly when he was reading his poem.

So may I suggest we all raise a glass to those who've left us?

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-18-2017 at 12:50 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
buickfunnycar.com (10-18-2017), DJS (10-18-2017), DuhCar (10-18-2017), Jim F (10-18-2017), MaineJagMike (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

A wonderful adventure from beginning to end.
Mucho gracias to all involved.
Remarkable participants, remarkable sponsors/benefactors and above all, remarkable organization by Jay.
Memorable!!!
Alan and Lynn

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Looks like you pulled off another one Jay...who knows, one day my wife and I just may have to fly in and rent a 'vert and join in on all the fun!

Well played Sir...well played.

RickyJay52 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Looks like you pulled off another one Jay...who knows, one day my wife and I just may have to fly in and rent a 'vert and join in on all the fun!

Well played Sir...well played.
That would be splendid Buick! Another esteemed member wrote me saying exactly the same thing today! Unfortunately I am completely unaware of any rentals with F-Types - although I suspect [flying into] Boston might (DJS or MaineJagMike might also be able to offer an opinion).

In any event, if there is another event, you'll certainly be hearing from me. I can tell you this...it will most likely be during Wild Blueberry season here in Maine - end of July through mid-September - and I might call it The 2018 Jaguar Wild Blueberry Blast (or Run, or Banzai), and I've already given thought to it; as well as making a few calls if you can believe it. And you wouldn't believe me if I told you who I called...which for all I know will lead to...nothing.

Lastly, my guess is "no fewer than 10 F-Types and no greater than 15". 20-30 people.

Best regards and thanks for the note.
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-18-2017 at 07:16 PM.
buickfunnycar.com (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

FYI to those awaiting the drone footage taken during our last morning/day together as we were staging in front of the Portland courthouse:

My young valet friend who took the footage, on his day off, Francis "Zac" Coppola is finishing up his classes and also a bit of a perfectionist. I love that about him and told him to take his time. He also wanted me to provide him with music to accompany the clips. I love music and it's always playing in my office, home, car, etc., but I've often found I am not a fan of music accompanying many "home-made" clips. Having said that, I forwarded Zac a couple (2, although it could have been 22) of my favorite bands and a few choice songs,

Stay tuned and I'm sure it will surface before long. DJS will be receiving a copy to post here at the appropriate time.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-20-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

'Ride of the Valkyries' would be good - I love the smell of active exhaust in the morning.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
'Ride of the Valkyries' would be good - I love the smell of active exhaust in the morning.
Outstanding choice my Opera-loving friend, but a bit too overbearing (overly dramatic.) I actually considered several Operatic-themed based accompaniments - and Apocalypse Now Redux (or no Redux) happens to be my #1 film of all time - but besides me and you I'm not so sure it would "fly" with the rest of the "Runners."

No, I provided Francis "Zac" Coppola with music from two of my favorite groups (Hint: I'm still kinda stuck in the 60's) and, as I've said, one or two of my favorite songs; although EVERY song from these groups are fabulous!

Stay tuned...

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-20-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,468 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Rimsky-Korsakov - Procession Of Nobles - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdKlNsuPd4

Just another suggestion

Old 10-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Very noble of you to suggest that and a fabulous composer! Even Flight of the Bumblebee might work and I've always loved Scheherazade.

I would love to entertain other suggestions; even though they won't be used. I'm not even sure, without seeing the footage myself, if the music I've chosen works with the video...although the music is certainly reflective of my personal tastes.

Thanks again.

Jay

Old 10-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Very noble of you to suggest that and a fabulous composer! Even Flight of the Bumblebee might work and I've always loved Scheherazade.

I would love to entertain other suggestions; even though they won't be used. I'm not even sure, without seeing the footage myself, if the music I've chosen works with the video...although the music is certainly reflective of my personal tastes.

Thanks again.

Jay
I'm partial to this little Diddy!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Good one Nati but waaaayyyyy too obvious - although the tempo is probably perfect for the drone footage - and actually the very first song which came to mind.

And Marko, while I've always liked ELO, if I'm gonna use music with a light show its gotta be Pink Floyd, a band I still love. And definitely still one of my favorite bands of all-time.

I'm liking this "game." Keep it up and one of you might even guess right...

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-20-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
The following 2 users liked this post by Nati:
Mbourne (10-20-2017), slojotaa (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Since you are from my era here are two consideration mostly for the lyrics rather than the melody as it may be a bit slow...

a little more upbeat...

PS - If you are a Pink Floyd fan you MUST see the Roger Waters "The Wall" DVD telling the history behind that album. It's phenomenal!

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-20-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Mbourne (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose DJS doesn't mind this diversion into music? (Although I could be wrong.)

I've not only seen the Roger Water's DVD of The Wall but I also bought his new recording, Is This The Life We Really Want, and it's fabulous. I not only listen to a lot of the great music which came out of the 60's and 70's, but I've read most of the great books - and autobiographies - which came from there too.

I must have 4-5 books I'm reading concurrently, including Greg Lake's recently published and long-in-the-making autobiography titled, of course, Lucky Man. I've long been a fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer and not only saw Carl Palmer last year in Arlington, MA BUT DJS too...on the same night!

Sad to know that Keith Emerson took his own life last year AND Greg Lake dying of cancer!

slojotaa (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Given the comradery you guys developed:

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-21-2017 at 09:11 PM.
ndabunka (11-04-2017)