F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 MY R Exhaust Valve Redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The WD40 will burn off. I personally would try using some never-seize (thread lubricant). A full synthetic engine oil might survive the heat as well.
Great idea! Thanks!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,
My Car is a brand new 2018 model F-type S that I drive for a moth now and I share a similar experience. The car is equipped with an active exhaust but has no exhaust button.
Compared it yesterday with a 2017 S mod and what a difference.
In my case the issue is definitely software related.
The valves are open at startup and close after 3 seconds. By acceleration I need to go over 4000rpm range in order to open the valves.
The dynamic or track button make no change in the situation.
I also pulled the Fuse 15 in the engine bay in order to disable the vacuum pump.
This made a difference but the 2018 still not leveling with the 2017 S or my previous 2014 F-type with 340hp and active exhaust button.
For me, other than the software Jaguar re-designed the mid or end damper in order to lower the sound level of their 2018 cars.
Anyone has this info ?
I will contact the dealer in order to have the button mounted if possible and hope that this will make a change.
Reactions are welcome,
Ray

Old 08-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRay
Hello,
My Car is a brand new 2018 model F-type S that I drive for a moth now and I share a similar experience. The car is equipped with an active exhaust but has no exhaust button.
The valves are open at startup and close after 3 seconds. By acceleration I need to go over 4000rpm range in order to open the valves.
I also pulled the Fuse 15 in the engine bay in order to disable the vacuum pump.
This made a difference but the 2018 still not leveling with the 2017 S or my previous 2014 F-type with 340hp and active exhaust button.
For me, other than the software Jaguar re-designed the mid or end damper in order to lower the sound level of their 2018 cars.
Anyone has this info ?
I will contact the dealer in order to have the button mounted if possible and hope that this will make a change.
Reactions are welcome,
Ray
The button isn't retrofit - the dealer won't be able to help you. Not sure what fuse 15 is, but on the V8 you need to pull fuse F43 from the panel in the passenger footwell to enable the active exhaust 100% of the time

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am on my fourth F Type (all V8), and my latest is as loud as my previous three.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by gsk7777777
I am on my fourth F Type (all V8)...
???

Old 08-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRay
Hello,
Anyone has this info ?
Reactions are welcome,
Ray
Hello as you have a 2018 model like mine, you will not have a vacuum pump, the unit is no longer installed. The vacuum is now sourced directly from the engine. This was done because some vacuum units were making vibrations through the body work .. plus no doubt a cost saving idea. I have the active exhaust switch which was a option for my car
also when I put my car in dynamic the valves open (on) I know this as the LED is on in the active exhaust switch. Also note I have completed just over 1200 miles now and the exhaust has got louder, this can happen when the baffle material beds in

regards

Last edited by kaspa; 08-29-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

picture of the 2018 model exhaust plumbing

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Doc1.docx (87.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was too loud for the nannies that run California. I got it straight from the horses mouth - this update was to meet CARB emission requirements. And since Jag cars are all 50 state cars, they're all getting this change.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy
It was too loud for the nannies that run California. I got it straight from the horses mouth - this update was to meet CARB emission requirements. And since Jag cars are all 50 state cars, they're all getting this change.
The horses mouth meaning JLR North America, or the dealer?

If someone is telling you they updated the software to keep valves partially closed so the car would pass CARB emissions? If so that sounds like the biggest Porky Pie I have heard in a long time. Exhaust valves don't have a single thing to do with emissions.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The k309 update for MY 2016 R had an emissions updates to meet CARB requirements. I got that straight from jaguar North America.

Agreed, the valves should fully open and close as far as I know.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 AM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy
The k309 update for MY 2016 R had an emissions updates to meet CARB requirements. I got that straight from jaguar North America.

Agreed, the valves should fully open and close as far as I know.
Gotcha, that makes much more sense. The O2 sensor update would be emissions related, if they bundled it in with some exhaust valve mapping that would explain.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 09-06-2017, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I had the k309 done in Mai 2016, and did suspect that it had reduced the pops and crackles a bit. However this was just after I had taken the car out of Winter hibernation, so my "referanse" was a bit rusty.

Yesterday I had the car in for service and told them to check for a TSB495 action. They also cleaned and applied some copper grease on the hinges on the exaust valves to prevent them from getting stuck partly way open. This was done just as a preventive maintanance, as the valves did function well. However the passenger side valve opened just close to 100%, but nitpicking one could say it did not open fully. That would not be enough to cause any change in sound levels though.

They did the TSB495 update, and there is no doubt that it had an effect on the pops and crackles. They are now back to full, and after driving the car during the whole summer without it, it is VERY easy to notice the difference now. And it's all because of the software.