F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Oil Change (jag's dime or mine?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018 | 07:29 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default 2017 1st Oil Change on JLR's dime or Mine?

When my brother-in-law recently took his SVR in for an oil change @ 5K miles the dealer told him that it needed to have the oil change every 12 months regardless of the mileage so...

If Jaguar normally only changes the oil at 15K mile intervals under "normal" operation, who covers an oil change when the car has only 7K miles on it after a year? I've now had the car for 7 months and just crested the 4,500 mark & was thinking about taking it in for an "on my dime" oil change once it hits 5K

Point of reference - US-based vehicles come with 5 year/50K mileage warranties and maintenance so, in theory, this vehicle should be covered for everything through the end of the 39 month lease term.

Old 05-29-2018 | 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
When my brother-in-law recently took his SVR in for an oil change @ 5K miles the dealer told him that it needed to have the oil change every 12 months regardless of the mileage so...

If Jaguar normally only changes the oil at 15K mile intervals under "normal" operation, who covers an oil change when the car has only 7K miles on it after a year? I've now had the car for 7 months and just crested the 4,500 mark & was thinking about taking it in for an "on my dime" oil change once it hits 5K

Point of reference - US-based vehicles come with 5 year/50K mileage warranties and maintenance so, in theory, this vehicle should be covered for everything through the end of the 39 month lease term.
The annual service (including oil change) is on their dime regardless of mileage. My first annual service was at 10k miles and the second was at 20k. Free both times, but of course, I also changed my own oil at 3.7k and 18k

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018 | 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar covers it as your 1st year maintenance. They provide 5 yearly services regardless of mileage.

ndabunka (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018 | 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The annual service (including oil change) is on their dime regardless of mileage. My first annual service was at 10k miles and the second was at 20k. Free both times, but of course, I also changed my own oil at 3.7k and 18k
DANGIT!

ndabunka (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018 | 11:05 PM

On a 2017 model you get free annual services, not only the first one. It's either mileage or 12 months. No matter what DO NOT go past 12 months or you pay and may affect the warranty

ndabunka (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018 | 08:18 AM
Banned

Speaking of routine maintenance, let me ask for some general guidance in my particular situation.
2018 F-Type purchased new April 2018, but it was assembled 8/17. Odometer reads just over 600 miles and service is due in 14,600 or one year, whichever occurs first.
Question: Should the oil and filter be changed in August, 2018 or April, 2019? (Obviously, I'll not reach the mileage target at current rate.)
Also, should the oil and filter be changed after the 2K mile break-in period?

Old 05-30-2018 | 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

I believe it’s from time that you take delivery, but double check with your dealer. I would recommend waiting until 3000miles for the first oil/filter change to ensure full break-in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
fujicoupe (05-30-2018), ndabunka (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018 | 04:58 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FType17
On a 2017 model you get free annual services, not only the first one. It's either mileage or 12 months. No matter what DO NOT go past 12 months or you pay and may affect the warranty
Not concerned about going "over" the 12 months. I am more interested in knowing the SOONEST I can ask the dealership to perform the oil change. Thus car was originally built in February of 2016 and sat on a dealer's lot until I purchased is in November of 2017 when it had 18 miles on it. I am now approaching 5K miles and would PREFER to have the oil changed... well NOW if I can... and ask them to do that under the "free" 1st year service. Just wondering if making this request for service in June or July is reasonable if JLR didn't "punch it's sales ticket" until November of '17 would be viable

Old 05-30-2018 | 04:59 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicouple
Speaking of routine maintenance, let me ask for some general guidance in my particular situation.
2018 F-Type purchased new April 2018, but it was assembled 8/17. Odometer reads just over 600 miles and service is due in 14,600 or one year, whichever occurs first.
Question: Should the oil and filter be changed in August, 2018 or April, 2019? (Obviously, I'll not reach the mileage target at current rate.)
Also, should the oil and filter be changed after the 2K mile break-in period?
There is no "break in" period on these cars per JLR. Your question on service is actually the EXACT same question I am presenting so the groups responses to me should also be applicable to you. Where are you located in South Carolina? Your signature doesn't show a city. If you are in Fort Mill or near Charlotte, it's likely we are both using the same dealership so their position on this may be applicable to both of us.

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2018 | 06:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

There is no "break in" period on these cars per JLR.
Check the maintenance section of your Owner's Handbook - it's there. It was missing in the MY14 manual, and my dealer was clueless. But they added it in later editions.

Old 05-30-2018 | 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

My car was purchased as new with 76 miles. Dealer punched ticket in November 15 via their purchase. I bought car in April 16 (or late March). All my maintenance works from the November date when car was first purchased, albeit by the dealer. November is my annual oil change due date

Old 05-30-2018 | 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

I believe it’s from time that you take delivery, but double check with your dealer. I would recommend waiting until 3000miles for the first oil/filter change to ensure full break-in.
Surprisingly , here the driving in is not 3000 miles but 3000 kms ? And the mechanics said its absolutely not necessary to change the oil after running in as the filters and
magnets keep it free of unwanted particles. As I am with this garage for ten years and my D3 is in the top 20 of highest milage cars [ build years 2004-2006 ] on the
D3.CO.UK forum, [ original gearbox ánd engine, done almost 200k miles faultless] , I tend to think they know what they are talking about...

Old 05-30-2018 | 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Surprisingly , here the driving in is not 3000 miles but 3000 kms ? And the mechanics said its absolutely not necessary to change the oil after running in as the filters and
magnets keep it free of unwanted particles. As I am with this garage for ten years and my D3 is in the top 20 of highest milage cars [ build years 2004-2006 ] on the
D3.CO.UK forum, [ original gearbox ánd engine, done almost 200k miles faultless] , I tend to think they know what they are talking about...
No doubt, my suggestion is overly precautious, but no point in trusting a $25 oil filter to fully contain break-in sediment on a $10-15k engine.

Old 05-30-2018 | 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Engines now are not like they were 30, or even 15 years ago. Manufacturing has come to a high level of accuracy and reproductivity, as far is does not considers cast metal parts, which remain a weak chain in the
production link. Question is to when replace the moulds for casting. This has been a problem with the TdV6 engines of JLR, same as used in Peugeot and Ford.

Of old, engines were dilivered with a 'running in oil' with a different viscosity and doped with solvents to clean in operation what could not be done economicly in a factory then. Not anymore.

Now the higher stability in fitting, means less 'difficult' spots with high friction/wear occur in the running-in stage. So less debris is generated and all is of a finer size, easily caught by the oil filter in quantities not a fraction
of what it used to be. In the old days I would find like a desert spoon full of metal on the magnetic oil plug on changing oil on my cars.

To know what happened in the running in a company [ forgot the name. was in early 80-ties], took oilfilters apart and flushed the oil filters and managed so to extract all metal fines. There was a wide range of particel sizes and shapes,
some released only from the channels after the production, while they should not have remained [ like spiraled pieces from drilling..]. Then it was also common to change oil and filter every 5000kms or every 3 months.

Techniques evolved and so intervals moved to over 30.000kms in some engines/makes.

Old 05-30-2018 | 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Engines now are not like they were 30, or even 15 years ago. Manufacturing has come to a high level of accuracy and reproductivity, as far is does not considers cast metal parts, which remain a weak chain in the
production link. Question is to when replace the moulds for casting. This has been a problem with the TdV6 engines of JLR, same as used in Peugeot and Ford.

Of old, engines were dilivered with a 'running in oil' with a different viscosity and doped with solvents to clean in operation what could not be done economicly in a factory then. Not anymore.

Now the higher stability in fitting, means less 'difficult' spots with high friction/wear occur in the running-in stage. So less debris is generated and all is of a finer size, easily caught by the oil filter in quantities not a fraction
of what it used to be. In the old days I would find like a desert spoon full of metal on the magnetic oil plug on changing oil on my cars.

To know what happened in the running in a company [ forgot the name. was in early 80-ties], took oilfilters apart and flushed the oil filters and managed so to extract all metal fines. There was a wide range of particel sizes and shapes,
some released only from the channels after the production, while they should not have remained [ like spiraled pieces from drilling..]. Then it was also common to change oil and filter every 5000kms or every 3 months.

Techniques evolved and so intervals moved to over 30.000kms in some engines/makes.
There is no question that modern manufacturing methods have all but eliminated machining fines from the engine prior to assembly. What I am talking about are the metal fines that are generated during the break-in period. You can see from the Blackstone Oil reports (thread by that name) that the initial oil change samples reveal far more metals in the oil than subsequent oil samples. The initial sample also reveals higher silicon content resulting from excess sealants applied during the assembly process. If the oil filter is doing its thing, there is no reason for any of this to cause an issue. But I figure, it's easy enough the change the oil & filter. Why not be overly cautious?

Old 05-30-2018 | 09:15 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Check the maintenance section of your Owner's Handbook - it's there. It was missing in the MY14 manual, and my dealer was clueless. But they added it in later editions.
The only question relevant to this particular thread is... "Does JLR cover the cost of replacing at such a period?"

I have not yet looked at the section in the manual you are indicating but every dealer has said that they would NOT replace the oil @ 3K miles as part of the "regular warranty service". If you want it done, it's on your dime.... ah, er $250 USD based on current market rates for a v8 F-Type oil change

Old 05-30-2018 | 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

The only relevant question is... "Does JLR cover the cost of replacing at such a period". I have not yet looked at the section in the manual you are indicating but every dealer has said that they would NOT replace the oil @ 3K miles as part of the "regular warranty service". If you want it done, it's on your dime.... ah, er $250 USD based on current market rates for a v8 F-Type oil change
They only do the oil change annually. The 3000 mile oilchange would be on you. I suspect that if you hit the 15,000 mile mark within 6 months, you would still have to eat it. I think it's just the annual service (with oil change) that is free.

Old 05-30-2018 | 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

The only question relevant to this particular thread is... "Does JLR cover the cost of replacing at such a period?"

I have not yet looked at the section in the manual you are indicating but every dealer has said that they would NOT replace the oil @ 3K miles as part of the "regular warranty service". If you want it done, it's on your dime.... ah, er $250 USD based on current market rates for a v8 F-Type oil change
Dave is referencing the break in instructions. The F Type absolutely has a manufacturer recommended break in period.

Many people choose to change the oil after break in. You pay for it. Or you do it yourself. It's not part of the break in or the official maintenance schedule.

Old 05-30-2018 | 10:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

They only do the oil change annually. The 3000 mile oilchange would be on you. I suspect that if you hit the 15,000 mile mark within 6 months, you would still have to eat it. I think it's just the annual service (with oil change) that is free.
My car only got the first service free, but I believe I was told 16000 miles +/- 1000 miles, or 12 months +/- 1 month.

Why not just ask the dealer?

Old 05-30-2018 | 11:07 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
Dave is referencing the break in instructions. The F Type absolutely has a manufacturer recommended break in period.

Many people choose to change the oil after break in. You pay for it. Or you do it yourself. It's not part of the break in or the official maintenance schedule.
Correct, my point is not related to guidance in the book.
As has been stated here the dealership isn't going to pay for a "break in" oil change and JLR does NOT "recommend" changing the oil after "break in" but rather to wait for as long as 15K miles prior to performing an oil change. Others on here have pointed out that is "just fine" for various reasons. I am also not interested in arguing pros or cons on those discussions. I get it. if I want it changed before the annual service, that would be on me.

However, since this is a weekend car, is leased (even though I may decide to buy out the contract at the end), and will likely not see even 8K miles prior to it's annual due date, do I simply....

Wait until it is closer to it's annual service to have it changed or how soon would a dealer be willing to perform that "annual" service? August perhaps or maybe September? In either of those cases, it will probably still have less that 7K miles on it so the mileage is not going to be a factor as it's not going to have excessive miles on it even by then. In other words... Is there really a reason to spend $250 to change my oil @ 5K miles vs. simply waiting until September to have the oil changed on JLRs dime with approximately 7,500 mile mark?

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-30-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Oil Change (jag's dime or mine?)