F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 V6s tune/pulley/trans tune questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 06:54 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2017 V6s tune/pulley/trans tune questions

I'm interested in doing the stage 3 mods to my V6 S, w/trans tune, and have a few questions that I'm sure the folks here know the answers to.

1) Can I purchase the lower+upper pulley and tune file/tuning device, and just install the lower (or no pulley) for right now with the Stage 3 tune? Will I get 416HP with no pulley installed?
2) Do I need a different supercharger belt for any of the combos of pulleys?
3) Is there an engine "tuning device" that can also reflash the transmission? Or must I purchase 2 different devices?

I'd like to take advantage of the current sale, but won't have time to do any significant work on the car for a bit.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by cujet
I'm interested in doing the stage 3 mods to my V6 S, w/trans tune, and have a few questions that I'm sure the folks here know the answers to.

1) Can I purchase the lower+upper pulley and tune file/tuning device, and just install the lower (or no pulley) for right now with the Stage 3 tune? Will I get 416HP with no pulley installed?
2) Do I need a different supercharger belt for any of the combos of pulleys?
3) Is there an engine "tuning device" that can also reflash the transmission? Or must I purchase 2 different devices?

I'd like to take advantage of the current sale, but won't have time to do any significant work on the car for a bit.
1) Yes you can purchase both pulleys and a selection of tunes including the "tune only no pulley change" tune. That tune will take it to 416 bhp without changing either pulley. The Stage 3 tune (both pulleys plus tune) will not work without both pulleys installed so you should not install it unless or until you fit both of the new pulleys. You can if you want fit just the lower/crank pulley and the Stage 2 tune (this is what I have) then later on fit the upper pulley as well and install the Stage 3 tune. You can and probably should get all four tunes installed onto the tuning device - OEM, Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 - I am fairly sure VAP do not charge extra for supplying multiple tunes.

2) If you install the larger crank pulley then you will need a longer SC belt (which VAP supply as part of the pulley plus Stage 2 or Stage 3 package anyway), but for the tune only or upper pulley only you do not need to change the SC belt.

3) To tune/reflash the trans you would need to purchase the separate TCM tuning device from VAP.
If you buy the complete package - both pulleys, all tunes and both tuning devices - then VAP just might be kind enough to offer a reduced price package deal but that is up to them.

The following users liked this post:
GeorgeIII (11-23-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 10:45 PM

Thank you for the coherent answer. Once I determine what color pulley I have, it's getting ordered. This car needs more power...

Old 11-24-2022, 12:02 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Keep in mind the upper pulley installation is more involved, it requires heating up the part to install. I wouldn't exactly call it DIY friendly if that's your goal. The crank pulley is a bit finicky but very doable (I did mine, as many others have).

Old 11-24-2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Keep in mind the upper pulley installation is more involved, it requires heating up the part to install. I wouldn't exactly call it DIY friendly if that's your goal. The crank pulley is a bit finicky but very doable (I did mine, as many others have).
Thanks, I did see the pictures of the upper pulley that was cut a few times just to get it off the shaft! I'm a pretty capable hack fabricator, with a small machine shop at home, I'll try the cutting torch first

As much as I'd like to do this all at once, I need time to pull the supercharger and replace the coolant pipes, change the coupler, oil and the upper pulley at the same time.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:45 AM

I ordered the Stage 3 setup with trans tune. Are there custom options, like removal of torque limiting, reduced/increased pops n bangs and a reduction in that high RPM startup protocol? I don't like that the engine revs way up upon cold start.

I am still thinking of asking for the initial tune for "no pulleys", and then change over when I find time to install the pulleys.

Last edited by cujet; 11-28-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:07 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

A lot of people jump right to cutting the SC pulley because they don't know how to do it properly. It's a cinch to remove....don't cut it. The proper pulley tool (the one USP sells for the mini Cooper works great) and a heavy duty cordless impact will zip it right off. I used a Rigid hd with 1200+ ft lbs and the pulley was off in 10 seconds. The hammering is what does the trick. Trying to do it with a basic puller and a socket wrench will just leave you with a bent up pulley and a foul mood.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 11-30-2022 at 06:09 PM.
cujet (11-30-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
(the one USP sells for the mini Cooper works great) and a heavy duty cordless impact will zip it right off. .
Thx, do you have a link? Google does not seem to find USP.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:04 PM

Sorry, brainfart. I deal with USP at work. Uro tuning is what I meant. Here's the link
https://www.urotuning.com/products/alta-supercharger-pulley-removal-tool-r52-r53-mini-ampeng208

​​​​

You will also need a steering wheel puller like this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0868DB783?pd_rd_i=B0868DB783&pf_rd_p=4e1ed69f-9511-4631-b8a0-4f05f5875119&pf_rd_r=Y7GCDVBAMNJ46TGWTVGZ&pd_rd_wg =7MTiP&pd_rd_w=SirHu&pd_rd_r=65c555cc-4405-486a-9cbc-0f713093ad59

Fyi, I didn't even attempt the job without pulling the hood. I'm old and big and couldn't get in there at all. Maybe a small young guy could do it without (VAP says you can) but not me.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 12-06-2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Thx, do you have a link? Google does not seem to find USP.
I don't know which tool USP was selling but a simple search on eBay Motors under "Mini Cooper supercharger pulley removal tool" gives heap of hits for the same Alta 2 piece tool, see here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ol&_sacat=6000
It's a two part collar which bolts around the pulley but it's not clear exactly how you then pull the pulley off, although there are four threaded holes in the collar and some of the ads say "Steering wheel puller is required for stock supercharger pulley removal" so that's a couple of clues!

Edit - too slow as usual, beaten to the punch by Doc, but it looks like the exact same tool anyway.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:56 PM

Lol, call me QuickDraw.....like all the girls do😂😂

Old 12-07-2022, 06:57 AM

Thank you for the links. Maybe VAP should include a simple tool to remove the pulley. It seems rather simple to fabricate a one sided tool that uses a fastener on the open side for structural integrity.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:14 PM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you for the links. Maybe VAP should include a simple tool to remove the pulley. It seems rather simple to fabricate a one sided tool that uses a fastener on the open side for structural integrity.
Get E85 tuned for 553Hp if you already have both pulleys replaced, I did and it is as advertised. With this tune you will be only 22Hp short of the F-Type SVR, for a lot less dough. VAP Tune: https://www.velocityap.com/product/a...5-tuning-file/ And go here to find the Ethanol pump nearest you: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethano...arest?fuel=E85 Have fun! I hit 170 in my XE yesterday, and had power for more but I had to slow down before I topped a hill. A few years ago I'd taken my Ninja 1400 past 190 before, but not a car. It seemed pretty settled (I added a spoiler) but the road was too bumpy, so I slowed down. I need to take it to the Salt Flats (but they were flooded this year). The XE Project 8 hits over 200Mph with 592HP. My car has only 29HP less than the P8. Maybe 190 next year on a closed course? Pretty fast for a sedan!

Last edited by Austin7; 12-08-2022 at 03:31 PM.
cujet (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Austin7
Get E85 tuned for 553Hp if you already have both pulleys replaced, I did and it is as advertised. With this tune you will be only 22Hp short of the F-Type SVR, for a lot less dough. VAP Tune: https://www.velocityap.com/product/a...5-tuning-file/ And go here to find the Ethanol pump nearest you: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethano...arest?fuel=E85 Have fun! I hit 170 in my XE yesterday, and had power for more but I had to slow down before I topped a hill. A few years ago I'd taken my Ninja 1400 past 190 before, but not a car. It seemed pretty settled (I added a spoiler) but the road was too bumpy, so I slowed down. I need to take it to the Salt Flats (but they were flooded this year). The XE Project 8 hits over 200Mph with 592HP. My car has only 29HP less than the P8. Maybe 190 next year on a closed course? Pretty fast for a sedan!
I like the way you think! And yes, that's damn fast for any car, including a sedan.

Mine's a convertible, and I do use what it's got, but I'm not racing anybody anymore, just looking for a satisfying amount of thrust. I use E85 occasionally in my tuned 2009 F150. It adds a bit of power and with E85, will smoke the tires at will (In 2wd) . The Racetrac station nearby sells it. (low end gas station)

In years past (early 80's) I worked as a factory tech for racing outboards for lake boats. I also worked as a engineer/tech for a company developing a camshaft for a turbocharged 4 cyl engine, doing many dyno runs to assess HP and emissions compliance. Also involved in turbocharged engine development, with 700HP 1.7 and 1.8L road racing engines, along with vintage race car stuff, and in between my current Aviation career, some Porsche stuff back in the 90's. I also get to drive some of the worlds fastest cars, as my current employer is a "hypercar" guy. He and I raced an Enzo and McLaren F1 some years back. The F1 would pull 700 feet on the Enzo, then they were even. Oh the joys of "nanny" features on the Enzo. Here I am in the Enzo following the F1.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:04 AM

Anyway, I am considering the E85 tune once I get the pulleys installed. The problem is that this is a Daily Driver. And I do take long trips. So needing to find E85 everwhere I go is not easy. I suppose I could carry a couple of gas cans.... Or simply revert to 93 octane tune for trips.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:00 AM

Yeah, the E85 will make you a thirsty beast, but it's worth it. I strongly recommend if you go E85 that you keep a can or two of Boostane on hand. Last week I filled a third time at my local station, and by the time I got it the mile home it started sputtering and loping at idle. Turns out I had bad E85 on this fill, I added boostane to the fuel and it got back to running normal.
I drove until I drained the tank and filled up at another location, she purrs like a kitten again at idle, and runs great! Going out for a drive today, I'll plan the route around E85 availability today.
It's gonna be 82 Degrees today in Austin, on 12/9 ! I'd prefer cold for boost reasons...lol.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:02 PM

For those running e85, make sure you buy a test kit and check the actual ethanol levels at your pumps. I have seen a lot of them that have stickers saying it may be as low as e70 which is a no go. Luckily the only station around me that has it tests out around 82% so no issues. It's like $12 for a test kit but might be the best $12 you ever spent.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
For those running e85, make sure you buy a test kit and check the actual ethanol levels at your pumps. I have seen a lot of them that have stickers saying it may be as low as e70 which is a no go. Luckily the only station around me that has it tests out around 82% so no issues. It's like $12 for a test kit but might be the best $12 you ever spent.
Good idea, first thing I ordered after I had a problem. Do you just fill a little in a tiny empty gas can, or use some other container to collect a sample? Can't pump right into the kit...And how do you properly dispose of the sample at the gas station?
I can't just pour it in the garbage for a number of good reasons, lol.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-10-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Austin7
Good idea, first thing I ordered after I had a problem. Do you just fill a little in a tiny empty gas can, or use some other container to collect a sample? Can't pump right into the kit...And how do you properly dispose of the sample at the gas station?
I can't just pour it in the garbage for a number of good reasons, lol.
What I did was take two 14 gal gas tanks (they come with their own pumps) up to the station in our suv and filled them both. I keep them at the house because the station is a half hour away and I tested it there. Then I just poured it into one of the many used oil containers laying around that I never take to the dump to empty lol.

I have a stage 3 tune from VAP that was a little too hot for 93 so most of the time I just run that tune on an e25 blend . Works great.