F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 vs 2022 Exhaust Note

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 vs 2022 Exhaust Note

Had and sold a 2017 R and looking to get back into a 2022 R. Been looking around and listening to the exhaust note of current models. Is it my imagination or did Jaguar tamed the exhaust sound of the later model? My 2017 sounded like a beast being raped.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:13 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Well documented that they have tuned down the aggressiveness in the past few years.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:06 AM
Received 425 Likes on 174 Posts

I took a quick peek under my 2022 and it looks like cutouts would be an easy option. I might just give them a go--could always opt to not use them or have them removed.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I own a facelift 2021 R and I have been inside a 2015 R extensively. I prefer the exhaust on my 2021 with the fuse 15 removed better (basically active exhaust disabled) and I love loud exhausts in general. Here is why:

I think the change in sound in the later models can be summarized in two bullets. 1) The ECU tune in previous models resulted in lots of pops and crackles, very theatrical but in my opinion not suitable for the GT character of the F-type. The pops and crackles are much more limited on my 2021 model but they feel more organic and definitely feel more mature, fitting the character of the car better in my opinion. There is nothing you can do to change this unless you re-tune your ECU which you can if you with go with an aftermarket tune. 2) The changes to the active exhaust and how the valves are opened/closed. On my 2021 model regardless of whether you have the exhaust in dynamic mode or not, the active exhaust valves would not open until about 3500 rpm, which really limited the enjoyment of the car and I believe this is number one reason for the complaints you hear on the media and the internet in general. Good news is that you can fix this in 5 minutes by removing the fuse for the active exhaust. This won't impact the car or the warranty in anyway and your valves will be open at all times. If you get bored, you can always put the fuse back in. I personally don't plan on putting back the fuse in, it does get slightly loud at cold-starts but outside of that it has been great.

Outside of the points above, I haven't seen any evidence that there is a change in new model's exhaust hardware when compared to the the previous model's hardware, basically the same rear muffler and the cat setup (only SVR had a different hardware setup).

Last edited by ToysARs; 09-16-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:54 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ToysARs
I own a facelift 2021 R and I have been inside a 2015 R extensively. I prefer the exhaust on my 2021 with the fuse 15 removed better (basically active exhaust disabled) and I love loud exhausts in general. Here is why:

I think the change in sound in the later models can be summarized in two bullets. 1) The ECU tune in previous models resulted in lots of pops and crackles, very theatrical but in my opinion not suitable for the GT character of the F-type. The pops and crackles are much more limited on my 2021 model but they feel more organic and definitely feel more mature, fitting the character of the car better in my opinion. There is nothing you can do to change this unless you re-tune your ECU which you can if you with go with an aftermarket tune. 2) The changes to the active exhaust and how the valves are opened/closed. On my 2021 model regardless of whether you have the exhaust in dynamic mode or not, the active exhaust valves would not open until about 3500 rpm, which really limited the enjoyment of the car and I believe this is number one reason for the complaints you hear on the media and the internet in general. Good news is that you can fix this in 5 minutes by removing the fuse for the active exhaust. This won't impact the car or the warranty in anyway and your valves will be open at all times. If you get bored, you can always put the fuse back in. I personally don't plan on putting back the fuse in, it does get slightly loud at cold-starts but outside of that it has been great.

Outside of the points above, I haven't seen any evidence that there is a change in new model's exhaust hardware when compared to the the previous model's hardware, basically the same rear muffler and the cat setup (only SVR had a different hardware setup).
I had to chuckle with your use of the word "bullets" Try an earlier car with aftermarket cats!

Old 09-18-2022, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ToysARs

The exhaust overrun was changed starting with MY 2017. I had a 2017 S. Currently have a 2020 R with the exhaust fuse removed as noted above and am happy with it. Still doesn't have the overrun like the early models, would need to tune that in.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:50 PM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Overrun change ......

Nati ....
I'm wondering if the S model and the R model could be different. My car is also a 2017 F Type R sports car and the pops n bangs overrun is definitely there. About 2 years ago when the covid just started, I was driving through the Lincoln Tunnel retuning back to NJ. It was approx 2AM at the moment. Traffic was very light in the tunnel, almost empty. My car was popping and banging so much and so loud, a new model BMW 750i sedan came up to the right side of my car, rolled down his window started yelling at me and giving me the middle finger. That was his reaction to my car's overrun. I am under the impression that the overrun was curtailed for the 18 model and up. No ?

Last edited by Turko; 09-18-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Turko
I am under the impression that the overrun was curtailed for the 18 model and up. No ?
My MY18 pops and bangs like a good 'un on overrun. Maybe MY19 is the start of the quiet period?