Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Corvette ZR1 vs 2018 GT500 vs F-type SVR

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
I didn't mean to imply the chassis was made of CF. But the hood and roof are all CF and the z06 has various other body panels made of CF. The rest is a composite polymer.
The floorpan is also carbon.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Motorized seats, motorized mirrors, motorized steering wheel, motorized roof (for verts), extra vacuum pump for active exhaust (on older models), motorized dash vent, motorized spoiler...
Interestingly enough, my C7 convertible has all of the above, except for the motorized vent and spoiler, but weighs about 400 lbs. less than my base F-Type.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
They are all great cars wtih a different purposes. The Corvette is a great track car, and having owned one on the past, I tracked it weekly.

Never owned a Mustang, but it's fit and finish isn't matching the Jags They all have a different character and personalities. Nicely engineered car but not on my radar. Just not my personality.

The Jag is a blast on the track, but man it gets expensive. The others have much cheaper and readily available parts. If I wanted a more serious track car I'd go with a used high mileage normally aspirated Vette, strip the interior, race prep the suspension brakes,(unless it has CC) and add some bits for safety. Then dial it in until the engine needs a refresh, you'll literally destroy street cars by seconds a lap.

It's amazing the difference in speed between race prepped street cars and even the fastest factory car. Keep in mind I've leaving out the track built exotics, I've seen 458 challenge cars GT3RSs show up and mop up the track and set consistent laps for 30 minutes.

I could keep up in the straights if I got a perfect corner exit, but that extra weight really gets you after a lap of trying to keep up with them. Even wtih big brakes, coil overs and over 600HP , two tons is a lot of car.

If Jag came out with an F-Type SVR-GT in the vein of the Porsche GT/GT3-RS we would be more competitive. Jag needs to get back into GT racing so that technology filters down to the street cars. SVO has some brilliant engineers and I would love to see them get track focused, but you have to first go racing.
Well said - I agree with almost everything you say, especially the last paragraph.
I can't really call this a disagreement, but the interior of the GT350 is much nicer than you might expect. The fit and finish is very nice, and there is very little plastic, none on surfaces you actually touch. The heated and cooled seats are very supportive, and manage to be more comfortable on long drives than the optional performance seats in the Jag. That offer a wider range of adjustability as well, especially for those over 6'1".
While not up to the level of aftermarket systems, the optional audio system is easily equal to the optional system in the Jag. The Nav system is superior, as is the air conditioning. With the windows up and the exhaust set to "normal", it is just as quiet. With the suspension set to normal, it soaks up bumps and potholes better than the Jag does.
It will never be as beautiful as the Jag, but in terms of the overall driving experience, it competes very well.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in 2013 I was one of the first in Vegas to purchase a C7 z51 Vette. Tons of quality issues and it was in the shop nearly a third of the time I owned it. I also had a preorder in to be one of the first to own a z06/07 but the numerous issues I had with my z51 made me cancel my preorder and sell the z51. I bought a 2014 SRT Viper and loved every minute of it.

With all the issues that the z06/07 has (i.e. limp mode) I just couldn't see anyone seriously considering it over something like an SVR. The tires on the C7 are not wide enough and they have a massive problem with torque caused read wheel spin. Also, reported manufacturer 0-60 and quarter mile times are exaggerated in the C7. I haven't even touched on the fact that around ever corner is a C7 vette. They are common as mud.

The Mustang GT350, while mostly looking like the tons of other Mustangs on the road is thoroughly enjoyable to drive. It's much more comfortable and much more fun to drive than the C7. Such an amazing value for the price. I can't wait to see what the GT500 is like. Lastly, the F-Type SVR is so fun and so quick. It feels faster and more fun to drive than either the GT350 or C7 z06/07.

I'm just not a fan of the C7 platform. The SVR and GT350 are worth every penny though.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

It's funny, I think Porsche does the best job of balancing luxury with performance but I while I find the cars competent I don't find them fun. Nothing I can put my finger on because every aspect of the car is near perfect but I just don't find them fun (nor do I really like the way the look, not bad, but I don't lust for one). Whether it was my old XKEs, or this F-Type, if I'm having a bad day just looking at the thing changes my mood for the better and driving it a bit puts the smile on my face. Maybe it's magic?