F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Lexus LC500...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by jmfan:
Mbourne (05-22-2017), Misujerr (05-22-2017), SinF (05-23-2017), Unhingd (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Can't change the station while you are driving?? Next...
And this guy always reminds me of Alan from 2 1/2 Men
Pretty good review once he reclassified it. But... can't change the station when you are moving?

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (05-25-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Can't change the station while you are driving?? Next...
And this guy always reminds me of Alan from 2 1/2 Men
Pretty good review once he reclassified it. But... can't change the station when you are moving?
Yes! definite JonCryer look alike.

Burt Gummer (05-25-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Brake by wire and strange 10 speed ratios seems like a much bigger let-down.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I don't think our forum members, in general, are the target audience for the LC500. I, for one, was looking for a very well appointed and classy sports car. The LC is a somewhat sporty personal luxury car.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
In the S5, does the dash mounted iPad like screen retract or fold? This is one design element that Mercedes and some others have not integrated into the dash. Seems out of place, kills it for me if it doesn't retract...
Doesn't retract or fold...looks like an afterthought like most new cars.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

People will buy it since there is still the strong perception (if not based in reality) that the Japanese are still building more reliable cars than anyone else (case in point, my Tundra which is still ranked as the most reliable full-sized truck).

But then there is the reality (if not based in perception) that the Japanese really do not design good looking cars compared to a lot of other offerings (case in point, my Tundra that I had to serious mod to get to the point where I liked its looks...lol).

Cross shopping the LC500 against the F-Type sort of makes sense but the Lexus is trying too hard and therefore confusing to look at.

Burt Gummer (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Doesn't retract or fold...looks like an afterthought like most new cars.
Deal breaker.....for me.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

I want to like it but can't get over the looks. At the very least Lexus HAS to change the grill. Yes it's personal but does anyone actually think that front end looks good?
Best part? The door handles. Total ripoff.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
I want to like it but can't get over the looks. At the very least Lexus HAS to change the grill. Yes it's personal but does anyone actually think that front end looks good?
Looks: Worse than an F Type
Performance: Worse than an F Type
Weight: Significantly more than an F Type
Transmission: God awful gear ratios; seriously... you've got a 10 speed gearbox and 3rd does 89 mph.... why!?

I don't understand why this thread exists.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:12 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I just came across this and since we were talking about the Gold Rush Rally earlier in the thread....
Gold Rush Rally Lamborghini Impounded After Two Speeding Tickets in 30 Minutes - The Drive

Old 05-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I don't understand why this thread exists...
Then why are you posting in it...?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

buickfunnycar.com,
I used to drive my former partner's Audi S5 6spd. everytime we went to the track. It is a great car, does everything well and so smoothly, it was like cheating on the track, it was so easy to drive quickly. That was with the V8, I think they're all V6 now, correct? I would take it a hundred fold over the Lexus, because I'd have to look at the Lexus everyday before I got into it. Good luck with whatever choice you make, including keeping your beautiful F-type.

buickfunnycar.com (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
buickfunnycar.com,
I used to drive my former partner's Audi S5 6spd. everytime we went to the track. It is a great car, does everything well and so smoothly, it was like cheating on the track, it was so easy to drive quickly. That was with the V8, I think they're all V6 now, correct? I would take it a hundred fold over the Lexus, because I'd have to look at the Lexus everyday before I got into it. Good luck with whatever choice you make, including keeping your beautiful F-type...
Thanks...I'm really lusting over the S5's interior, really leaning that way.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Lexus is trying to hard to be " cutting edge " with its appearance. It's just not a good look, in my opinion.
But it will sell. Just like when BMW released the X6 SAV . my goodness, what an ugly design. Looks like a turtle on mega steroids. And yet... people buy it.
Couldn't agree more

Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
IMHO the Lexus front grill is without a doubt the most god-awful thing on the road today.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

On the way home from the golf course, this afternoon, my best friend and I, stopped at our local Lexus dealer to look at the LC500 up close. They had three of them on the floor. My friend's BMW 535i lease is coming to an end soon, and he'd like to get back to a two door, luxury car with some performance. The saleman and sales manager were very eager to get us to test drive the car, but we were going to lunch, so we just sat in one. My impressions:
Exterior, except for the front grill and rear end is better in person than in pictures. Big, wide hips, not as beautifully rounded as any Jaguar coupe in history, but attractive nonetheless.
Interior: Not nearly as attractive, comfortable, or luxurious looking as the pictures. The whole cowl is as high as the gauge binnacle, and therefore to see out over it, if you're not tall, you're raising the seat to where your head is hitting the fake sunroof. Fake in that it is only a retracting cover not open to the air. The seats are beautiful looking but not terribly comfortable. Now, maybe if I had time to adjust them every which way, I may have found a comfortable setting, but in fooling around with the controls, I did not find that setting. The glove box has what appears to be two small A/C vents just above it but below the dash. It actually appears that the glove box is open and I tried to close it, but that's part of the design....very strange look. Rear seats are of the XK/XKR type, strictly for looks. Finally, the interior of the car we sat in was black with burgundy seats, and was very dark and sort of depressing looking. The other cars had camel colored interiors that didn't look as foreboding.
Overall, not as good as I thought it might be even though the exterior was better than I expected.

Last edited by tberg; 07-23-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

I would agree it looks a whole lot better in person, those rear fenders or hips as you call them are quite striking from the 3/4 angle.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Can't be any worse than a Jag lol.

I always find it interesting what people cross shop to the F-type. I think everyone agrees that the F-type is a classically beautiful, supermodel-esque sports car, and yet people commonly cross shop them against a C7 corvettes, GTRs and vehicles like this, which i think are just extremely ugly by comparison. Shows maybe the looks aren't that important for a lot of our members perhaps?
Actually the depreciation on the F-Type isn't too bad. Especially if you get the base model.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw one at a show, so not quite as much experience, but on the whole I agree. The pictures overhype The interior and do not do justice to a decent exterior (teardrop lights asides, which just do not do it for me). I would differ in the utility of those rear seats though - they are great for luggage. Not that I care much but it had me wondering, as I sometimes do, about why our cars are so big and yet have so little space. Overall - Lexus did better than I expected but not a chance that I would ever consider swapping.