F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F-Type Has Summer Tires, Want All-Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018 | 08:05 PM

I fitted Continental DWS' tires on my F-Type S: 255/40-19 front & 285/35-19 rear. Great tires 9-months out of the year for my weekend commutes between DC and NH. I garage the car once there's salt and snow on the road and don't break it out until the Spring rains wash all the salt away. Do you really not care about kicked up salt dingging the paint off the nose and corroding everything else? Such a beautiful car. Don't risk ruining it.

Old 08-02-2019 | 02:15 AM

Wrong thread,sorry.

Last edited by Friscorays; 08-02-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2019 | 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

@Bill
Buy a Discovery 5 and put the F-Type in the garage for hybernation with summer tires.. ..thats what I do, but still with D3...

Old 08-05-2019 | 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

I do option 1, but I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and days below 40F are rare enough that it's a manageable risk ("I'm working from home today"). In your situation I'd flog the bejeebers out of the summer tires and get all-seasons before it gets cold.

Old 12-08-2020 | 01:21 PM

Eh, going to reawaken this thread as a search didn't expose any others?
i have 18" on my 2014 F-Type. i recently got a flat on my rear right tire, i'm a critical care nurse, so i cannot be without a car, i hobbled to the local major tire chain and left it with them, They informed me the tire could not be repaired, This is a low mileage car, it only had 9k miles when i bought it and 25k when the tire went south. i used to have a BMW Z4 and learned my lesson about the necessity of a winter/weather after sliding 20 miles into work on less than an inch of snow. Scared the hell out of me. i went with the Continental Extreme Contact DSW on the Z4, and more recently went with the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 for the rear tires on the F-type. i still have the Continental Sport Contact on the front. They have 25k on them and prolly need replacing soon.

The Extreme Contact DSW06 are great inclimate weather, but they are kind of mushy with cornering. i'm beginning to wonder if there is a better all season performance tire out there?

Old 12-08-2020 | 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Do you get a lot of snow [ I'm European, not familiar with US climate] ?

I have now changed all 4 to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , quite happy with these. These are goog for most weather, not snow though. In principal summer tires..

Review from site [ [color=#222222]Extreme Contact DSW06 ];
"This is a great sport tire good handling its phenomenal in Wet conditions treading water i would say 9.5 at wet conditions.
Purchased around 13,000 miles and currently around 27,000 miles tread was not what was expected.
I snow conditions 6. Would not recommend for snow and slight hills. Ride is quiet would rate at 8 "

https://www.continentaltire.com/prod...-20545zr17-88w

.. and I bought a Land Rover D5 for the winter... ..see below..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 12-08-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:45 PM

Hi Dan,

Where i am now in Oregon USA (Pacific NW), we get very little snow, but it rains 6 months out of the year, then is dry 6 months. Doesn't get terribly cold, but too cold and wet for summer performance tires all year. i have been considering the Pilot Sport 4, they get good reviews. May be time to make a change.

Old 12-08-2020 | 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

So the weather is like in the Netherlands.. I have no issues in the cold with the Michelin.

If it is really wet put the switch in 'slippery'...

I retrieved the same discussion on the UK forum. The climate is very wet too.

The use of Michelins is common : https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewto...hilit=michelin

Last edited by Dan_NL; 12-08-2020 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tallslenderguy (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:50 PM

I had DWS06’s on the XC60. Couldn’t wait to get rid of them.

Looking at The Tire Rack’s choices for extreme performance A/S and winter’s, if you get snow, I wouldn’t hesitate to put the Pirelli Winter Sottozero III’s on the car. They will be the best tire for cold and inclement weather. Downside, you’ll need summer tires for summer. But, the summer tires will be far superior tires to any A/S you can get. So there’s that.

If you want to stick with A/S, I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Pilot Sport A/S 4’s.

Old 12-08-2020 | 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Get the Michelin's!

Old 12-09-2020 | 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tallslenderguy
Eh, going to reawaken this thread as a search didn't expose any others?
i have 18" on my 2014 F-Type. i recently got a flat on my rear right tire, i'm a critical care nurse, so i cannot be without a car, i hobbled to the local major tire chain and left it with them, They informed me the tire could not be repaired, This is a low mileage car, it only had 9k miles when i bought it and 25k when the tire went south. i used to have a BMW Z4 and learned my lesson about the necessity of a winter/weather after sliding 20 miles into work on less than an inch of snow. Scared the hell out of me. i went with the Continental Extreme Contact DSW on the Z4, and more recently went with the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 for the rear tires on the F-type. i still have the Continental Sport Contact on the front. They have 25k on them and prolly need replacing soon.

The Extreme Contact DSW06 are great inclimate weather, but they are kind of mushy with cornering. i'm beginning to wonder if there is a better all season performance tire out there?
Nurses and teachers should be put on pedestals in my opinion—vastly under appreciated—so you have my thanks and gratitude. (Says the father of a NYC ER Doctor).

Your set up is far from ideal in my opinion as you are mixing summer tires in the front with all-season tires in the rear. I’ve long recommended Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06’s in these “pages”—and regrettably I am an unpaid spokesperson (although Continental Tire has sponsored 4 of the 6 events I’ve hosted) and have them on all my cars and I live most of the time in the Great State of Maine. Anyone who knows me knows I am not “Captain Slow”. I’ve never experienced any mushy feeling when driving in any and all conditions—and I mean, in ALL conditions—and in VERY spirited fashion.

To each his/her own but call me a very satisfied customer.

Thank you for what you do and good luck in the future!

RJ52

The following users liked this post:
tallslenderguy (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020 | 12:30 AM

I have gone with option 3 and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

For an initial investment of a floor jack and torque wrench($300), you get to enjoy the full potential of the car year round, stay safe, AND have a set of different looking rims. No brainer.

Old 07-22-2021 | 05:42 PM

I have not tried the DWS06 on the F-Type, but I have used them on other cars and they were great.

Old 07-23-2021 | 04:08 AM

In my opinion best option is to buy a second set of winter wheels with proper winter tires.
All seasons compromise on every aspect, not great for summer and not great during winter time.

I bought a second set of winter wheels and change them myself.
Each set will not wear as fast because you are using 2 sets during the year.
You will probably find some good priced second hand winter tires with proper rims.
When I was looking second hand there were a couple of sets that had my interest.

I found this the best option because you will have the best option for both circumstances and it doesn't have to be that expensive.

Old 07-24-2021 | 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bill.
Hi Hayabusa and Brock,

In parallel with you writing your replies, I sent an email to Continental and they said the same thing including that their summer tires are prone to cracking below 45 degrees. That eliminates my Option #5.

We are leaning towards your Option A, buy all seasons now, sell "as new" summers ... to another F-Type owner with 18" wheels ?

Thanks,
Bill
Not only cracking, the rubber hardens to a slickness comparable to a hockey puck.

Hi Dan,

Where i am now in Oregon USA (Pacific NW), we get very little snow, but it rains 6 months out of the year, then is dry 6 months. Doesn't get terribly cold, but too cold and wet for summer performance tires all year. i have been considering the Pilot Sport 4, they get good reviews. May be time to make a change.
I have Pilot Sport 4's on my CT6, it's a responsive tire in all seasons and it's a great rain tire.

Old 07-24-2021 | 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

My PZ's will have about 6K on them when I switch out to PS AS 4's in the Fall. Not bad for 6 months.
My tire dealer (Town Fair Tire) gurantees best price and includes free switch over for seasonal tires.
My plan is to simply store the PZ's above 45F during the Winter and have them reloaded next Summer for second time.
Given reports on this site, it is not clear or even likely that they will be worth storing for a second Winter.
Then assuming they feel good, just run on the AS tires year round.

Old 02-16-2022 | 08:46 PM
Default Option 3

Having lived in Wisconsin for many years, summer/Winter tires are the way to go. Yes, initial expense and a need for off season storage options. But, you will delight in the amazing handling, winter and summer, with the proper tires. #worthit

Old 02-17-2022 | 06:35 PM

The first time I needed to replace the rear tires on my 2016 F-Type S RWD I opted to only replace the rear PZero summer tires with Conti DWS all-season tires. Talk about scary! The rear end went every which way. Once I replaced the front tires with a matching set of Conti DWS all-season tires, the twitchiness disappeared. Since then, I’ve made it a point to replace all four tires on all of our vehicles with a matching set of Conti DWS all-season tires. All-season tires may not be race worthy but I can assure you that the Conti DWS tire is great in rain and snow and darn good in the dry. Unlike summer tires, the Conti DWS tire gives up very little bit of sharp handling and grip in exchange for a whole lot better ride and noise level when the pavement is anything but race track perfect. The best part is that I can drive my latest 2018 F-Type R-Dynamic AWD during the three seasons when there isn’t any salt on the roads and, on all our other vehicles, not have to switch out the DWS tires for snow tires when snow falls in northern New England.

Eh, going to reawaken thi thread as a search didn't expose any others?