Sponsored by:

2019 Jaguar Non-Event Event/With Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 05:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts
Default 2019 Jaguar Non-Event Event/With Thanks

(posted on behalf of RickyJay52 by GGG)

The 2019 Jaguar Non-Event Event would not have been possible without the following – many friends – to whom I give thanks and my gratitude (and, usually, my business):

The Cheese Ironand owners Vince Maniaci and Jill Dutton for providing us with yet another incredible lunch in an amazing place (with its own cheese cave.) www.thecheeseiron.com

Salt Cod Café and owner Alison Prince and the fabulous Brendan for making sure we had “front-row/lawn” parking overlooking beautiful Harpswell Sound. While we didn’t have time to eat here, I know from experience how fabulous the food is; never mind some of the best homemade breads and pies you’ve ever had. www.saltcodcafe.com

H2Outfitters for showing our F-Type drivers that man/woman does not live by car alone and giving attendees an expertly guided tour in and around Orr’s Island. I’ve been friends with “The Director of Fun” Jeff Cooper – he’s an old NSX buddy of mine – and “Head Honcho” Cathy “Monk” Piffath for over 25 years and I know those kayaking had just a magnificent time. And no one rolled over! www.h2outfitters.com

Cook’s Lobster & Ale House and owners Jen and Nick Charboneau who’ve returned Cook’s to its once former glory and have done an amazing job in a fabulous location. The food has never been better, the service was great, and all attendees were grateful for the “lobster trap” parking arrangements made for us on the picturesque point. www.cookslobster.com

Forage Market and owner Allen Smith, and his staff,for allowing us to come for breakfast [on a jammed-packed] Saturday morning and reserving a huge table for all of us to enjoy their incredible bagels, delicious coffee, and did I say, incredible bagels? www.foragemarket.com

Maine Historical Society and the Wadsworth-Longfellow House and Head of Visitors Services John Babin for his generosity and unbridled enthusiasm and unparallel of knowledge. www.mainehistory.org

Portland Museum of Art for having such a world-class museum and providing attendees (yes, including Josh) with a splendid immersion in the arts. www.portlandmuseum.org

OTTO Pizza and owners Anthony Allen and Mike Keon for having such a fabulous selection of fabulous pizza. www.ottoportland.com

Portland Head Light. Some attendees, after lunch, drove out to see what is perhaps the world’s most famous and photographed lighthouse on a splendid sun-lit day in Maine; even if I didn’t join them [mum’s the word please.] www.portlandheadlight.com

Scales and GM’s Michael Burke and Adam Beckworth for allowing us yet again – I think for the fourth time – to come to not only a beautiful restaurant, always packed with people [never mind a Saturday night], but an amazing one. Beyond delicious (whatever the heck that means.) www.scalesrestaurant.com

Standard Bakery [a James Beard finalist] and owners Alison Pray and Matt James for having, trite is as might sound, THE standard of any brilliant bakery. Matt set attendees up with a large assortment of incredible pastries along with coffee without having to wait on the line which is almost always out the door. www.standardbakingco.com

Portland Harbor Water Tours and Captain Ben Gaffius and first mate Zac (not “our” Zac, who was invited to attend) for a magnificent tour in and around Portland Harbor. The pictures displayed – I don’t know…somewhere – don’t do our tour and the morning justice. I only wish I had had the code to my friend’s lighthouse before we shoved off. [You had to be there.] www.portlandharborwatertours.com

Red’s Eats (the one and ONLY) and Debbie Gagnon (the one and ONLY.) Need I say more? Didn’t think so. www.redeatsmaine.com

Water Street Kitchen & Bar and owner/Chef Ed Colburn for allowing all of us to park our cars directly in front of his beautifully remodeled and new restaurant and not eat there. What nerve! Truth is Liz and I have eaten here several times before and it’s amazing. I know I’ve used that word often throughout these “thanks” but it’s all true; including here. www.waterstreetmaine.com

Union @ The Press Hotel and Chef Josh Berry. While Union could not accommodate a group of our size for dinner, after I learned of Justin’s “incident” I reached out to Chef Berry and he put Justin and his lovely wife at The Chef’s Table [a rare treat.] www.unionportland.com

Portland Police Departmentfor…well…some things are better left unsaid.

Mbourneand jaguny(Marko and Vince) for producing those wonderful stickers for this Non-Event Event. THE LAST EVENT of any kind.

Lastly, I have to thank my wife for putting up with me. There are not many wives who would tolerate their husband calling, literally, 2 minutes before (without any prior notice) bringing everyone over to my house on a impromptu “Prosecco” pit-stop.

Last edited by GGG; 09-17-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add Salt Cod Café; edit typo
The following 7 users liked this post by GGG:
Arne (09-11-2019), DJS (09-11-2019), Itismejoshy (09-16-2019), jaguny (09-11-2019), Jim F (09-11-2019), Mbourne (09-12-2019), Tp10XKR (09-12-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Thanks, RickyJay and Graham. Had considered starting a separate thread, rather than stuffing a bunch of pix in the overloaded photo thread. This is better!

For a bit less structured non-event, there was plenty to do - Portland is a great town. Hurricane Dorian threatened some rain and wind for Sat, but the rain shield pivoted around Portland without dropping and rain at all. Weather was gorgeous, including Fri afternoon for the kayakers.

And, of course, it’s the people that make these events work. We’ve always had a diverse group of folks ranging in age from 20s to 60s and beyond, but everyone gets along great. Jay is the glue to holds us together, and we certainly appreciate his efforts (and those of his friends, mentioned above.)

Here’s a link to my Dropbox with trip photos. There’s a subfolder in it (‘Frank’) with Frank’s photos - some good ones there.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c9izxs4hu...31Sxr5B5a?dl=0

Lastly, here’s the lighthouse referenced above. Glad we didn’t try to enter...

Frank’s photo, I didn’t get a good angle

Last edited by DJS; 09-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DJS:
GGG (09-20-2019), Itismejoshy (09-16-2019), jaguny (09-11-2019), Jim F (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Speaking of the Portland Head Light...

The following 4 users liked this post by DJS:
GGG (09-20-2019), Itismejoshy (09-16-2019), jaguny (09-11-2019), Mbourne (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Some very fine photos indeed. Sorry to have missed thi non-event.
Did though tour the F Type assembly line at Castle Bromwich.....and will have two Goodwood Festival days starting tomorrow.
Hopefully I’ll have better timing next non-event.
Alan

Old 09-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
Some very fine photos indeed. Sorry to have missed thi non-event.
Did though tour the F Type assembly line at Castle Bromwich.....and will have two Goodwood Festival days starting tomorrow.
Hopefully I’ll have better timing next non-event.
Alan
You are, of course, referring to The 2020 Jaguar F-Type Ghost Tour?

Old 09-13-2019, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I wanted to add a special thank you to RickJay52 (and his wife, and Scarlet) who shepherded my son and I through our flat tire saga with personal attention and his valuable time, in addition to all other unbelievable efforts throughout the non-event.

Also, special shout out to Jaguar Scarborough service department, who changed our flat tire out quickly and professionally, including chasing down a wayward UPS driver who had delivered the tire to the wrong address.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguny:
DJS (09-13-2019), Itismejoshy (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Just got back from being out of town for a week without service. Like always RickyJay52 pulls all the stops to make another absolutely delightful weekend! Amazing destinations, amazing food, and most of all amazing people! Of all the events i attend during our brief summers here in New England, this is always my favorite. Sincere thanks to everyone involved and all the generous businesses that made room/planned parking/let us cut in line/Etc. Too bad next year will not be happening

im the guy who "stuffed" a bunch of pictures into the thread.....

Reds Eats

Portland Headlight

The following 3 users liked this post by Itismejoshy:
Carbuff2 (09-16-2019), jaguny (09-16-2019), Mbourne (09-16-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 10:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I wanted to add a special thank you to RickJay52 (and his wife, and Scarlet) who shepherded my son and I through our flat tire saga with personal attention and his valuable time ......
You're lucky. I've just had a flat tyre saga but RickyJay52 was nowhere to be seen. Must be too busy planning the 2020 non-event.

Graham

Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
You're lucky. I've just had a flat tyre saga but RickyJay52 was nowhere to be seen. Must be too busy planning the 2020 non-event.

Graham
Those RJ52's are indeed rare. Maybe a twin will show in the UK.I believe he's chasing ghosts currently.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-21-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

The scene of the kick-off of the 2020 Jaguar F-Type Ghost Tour* www.flightdeckbrewing.com

Down East Magazine's Editor's Choice Best Tasting Room in Maine. On-site Food Truck by none other than our very own Cook's Lobster & Ale House; Jen and Nick Charboneau! www.cookslobster.com

*Not that there's going to be a 2020 Jaguar F-Type Ghost Tour.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-22-2019 at 04:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Itismejoshy (09-23-2019), Mbourne (09-22-2019)