F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 F Type Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 F Type Lock Problems

I have a 2021 F Type with a locking issue. I'm hoping someone can help me b/c the dealership has had my car for a total of 6 weeks and says this is not an issue they can duplicate so it is not an issue...

When I lock my driver's door by pressing the handle, the handle pops right back out. The mirrors don't fold in and the lights don't flash. This happens repeatedly until finally the handle stays in, then about 15 seconds later it pops out again. I can lock it with the remote without any issues. The dealer said first I wasn't pressing it hard enough, then I wasn't pressing it in the right place, then it was a "safety feature" to keep the handle from breaking if something fell on it. I had a 2016 F Type that locked the same way and I never had an issue locking it. I have multiple videos of this happening.

Please help me solve this.....

Old 08-20-2022, 02:15 PM
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

Is there another dealer within a reasonable distance where you can get a second opinion?

Old 08-20-2022, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

You have videos of this happening yet the dealer says they can't help you?

X2 regards soliciting a different dealer to help.

BUT

I've heard of a few bad door lock/door handle gripes. Maybe the handle needs to be replaced? Ask them to do that...and if they say "JLR won't allow us to", NICELY ask if YOU can call Customer Service to help the cause.

Does the passenger door handle lock every time by pressing it? If so, that backs up my WAG of a bad handle assy.
But if the passenger side suffers the same, then it might be whatever module that the handles 'talk' to.

PS: I just remembered a Topic from many months ago about an intermittent electrical issue. After the dealer kidnapped the car for many weeks, the owner re-seated the fuses under the passenger side of the dash and that fixed it!

Old 08-20-2022, 05:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2021. I sometimes push in the handle and it pushes right back at me. I wonder if it has to do with headlight delay I setup through the system. Maybe car think its not ready to be locked.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check to make sure the hood of the car is fully fastened.

The following 2 users liked this post by heuristik:
Carbuff2 (08-21-2022), LauraF (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 10:14 AM

That is a good idea. The closest one is 300 miles away but worth a try. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:17 AM

Thank you. It is only the driver's side door. I've spent so much time on this with the dealer that I did try Jaguar Customer Service as well. I continued to receive the same runaround from them. They would delay returning my calls, they would say the "couldn't do anything, it had to be the dealer" then the dealer would say "they couldn't do anything, it had to be Corporate". It is so frustrating.

I appreciate your advice.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:19 AM

That is exactly what mine does, I push it in and it pops back out. Except, I've not set up a headlight delay. When I push in the handle, the mirrors don't fold in and the lights don't flash. It's like it doesn't accept me locking it.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:19 AM

Thank you. Just checked, and properly fastened.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 465 Likes on 251 Posts

As others have said, if you try to lock the car with either the hood or trunk/hatch open it won't let you lock the car and the handle will pop back out but you should also get the beep alerting you to the fact that something is wrong. Even if everything looks closed correctly, re-open and close both to reset the sensors. I've had it with the hood before even though it looked like it was closed properly.

If one of the close sensors is bad on those latches it would cause what you're describing BUT you should see the behavior regardless of whether it was driver's handle, passenger handle, or key fob. However, if it only happens with the driver's door handle then I'd still be leaning towards a faulty door handle actuator. Try using the lock button on the inside of the driver's door when you are getting out and see if it will lock when you close the door. That's a little more convenient then always trying to pull out the key fob to lock it. If you can get a successful run of multiple locks over a period of, say, a week, using any other lock method then it really points to the handle mechanism.

Old 08-21-2022, 04:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LauraF
I have a 2021 F Type with a locking issue. I'm hoping someone can help me b/c the dealership has had my car for a total of 6 weeks and says this is not an issue they can duplicate so it is not an issue...

When I lock my driver's door by pressing the handle, the handle pops right back out. The mirrors don't fold in and the lights don't flash. This happens repeatedly until finally the handle stays in, then about 15 seconds later it pops out again. I can lock it with the remote without any issues. The dealer said first I wasn't pressing it hard enough, then I wasn't pressing it in the right place, then it was a "safety feature" to keep the handle from breaking if something fell on it. I had a 2016 F Type that locked the same way and I never had an issue locking it. I have multiple videos of this happening.

Please help me solve this.....
Two thoughts...
One is that, like the loose fuse suggested, there might be a short in the wiring harness inside the door lock.

Secondly, and in MYHO more likely, my Ford pickup had a similar problem - similar in that the keyless locking mechanism of (only) the passenger door sometimes wouldn't respond to the locking gesture. After multiple (hour long) trips to the dealer, the problem finally replicated at the dealership, so they actually believed me.

They finally figured out that the battery was low, and more. What was happening was that when the 'smart' BMS detected voltage less that a specified minimum, it began shutting off certain circuits it apparently deemed unnecessary - like the rear passenger-side courtesy door light and, it seems, the passenger side door keyless lock. I never did get the skinny about how they figured it out (e.g. whether the BMS actually threw a DTC code or not), but the remedy was to replace the battery (under warranty) and update the BMS software (and, according to the invoice, cleared the DTC's... which was not part of the earlier invoices)

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:09 PM

Thank you very much. At this time, it occurs only with the driver's door handle. I will check the hood and trunk as you recommend.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:48 PM

I have the same problem with my 2019 P380. Driver handle pops back out every time, but the passenger handle works fine, as does the key fob. At least mine is consistent. My car is in the shop as we speak for this and other issues, so don't know if they will fix it or not - certainly hoping I don't get the runaround you and others on the board have experienced. I'll update with the eventual outcome.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:03 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Try keeping the key fob far away. Many cars won't lock if they think the key is inside the car.