F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 2021 Front License Plate Bracket

I just drove home my new 2021 BRG R with Tan interior, here is the link... https://www.jaguarreno.com/inventory...d51fe1mck71084 This is my 3rd F Type which should put me in their "fiercely loyal" category. I have programmed the garage door, community gate and lastly tried to remove the front license plate. However, they installed two receiving brackets that are bolted from behind. Before I "hire" someone to remove them, has anyone out there successfully accomplished this?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

Old 05-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

The two tabs (arrowed) look like clips.

If you squeeze them inward, would the flat bracket release and possibly reveal some mounting hardware?

Old 05-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Thanks for that suggestion as I had the same idea. Sadly, after shaving those tabs on one of the two brackets it did not solve the problem. I have to figure out how to back out the bolts as I believe removing the grill is a major PITA.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

So, the flat bracket did not come off?

If it did, let's see what is behind it. If the threaded rod is securing the bracket somehow, perhaps it could be backed-off by turning a double-nut.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Why not make dealer take it off? I'm surprised a Nev. dealer had the frame on. Probably a Cal. speced car.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Why not make dealer take it off? I'm surprised a Nev. dealer had the frame on. Probably a Cal. speced car.
I asked the dealer and they replied with, "we tried and couldn't.." Not one to give up, my son-in-law and I finally prevailed however, It was a bear!

Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Pics or it didn't happen!

I'm sure that in the future, other owners will want/need to install or remove those particular brackets...

Old 06-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Pics or it didn't happen!

I'm sure that in the future, other owners will want/need to install or remove those particular brackets...
The pictures below is one of the two brackets that held the frame for the front plate. The top picture shows the bolt that needs to be backed-off to pull the bracket out. Unfortunately, this bolt is behind and therefore near impossible to access. However, please note "near impossible" should not stop you from attempting this. I was able to find a very thin and short 8mm wrench that slipped over the bolt. Then, you can move the bolt a bit at a time until it finally allows you to spin the hold down from vertical to horizontal. When in the horizontal position you can pull it out.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

What a great colour combo! Love it. Not yet sold on the new grille but the rest looks amazing

How is pricing (if that's not too personal a question). Not looking for a number - just interested to know if there is price flex given the economy and lack of car sales...

Old 06-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on the Beautiful car.
Yes, it looks really fugly with front license plate on...
1000% better without it.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
What a great colour combo! Love it. Not yet sold on the new grille but the rest looks amazing

How is pricing (if that's not too personal a question). Not looking for a number - just interested to know if there is price flex given the economy and lack of car sales...
As you can imagine, the pricing on the 2020's is very good and for the few remaining 2019's it's great. There was only one 2021 at the Sacramento California dealer and one at the Reno store. Sacramento offered me $500 off on the V 6 because I'm a "valued customer". That offer was kind of an insult as I would have been more comfortable with, "it's our only one..." I went to the Reno Store to actually buy out my lease on my 2017 R. However, the only one they had was on the showroom floor and you know how that goes. They took $4K off and said, "we've priced this to sell if you're interested" I replied with, let's do this!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Good on ya, Dave! Once you've adequately savored your newest glee, how about a compo on the 3 you've owned? Perhaps you're the only one on the forum who has done so.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
Good on ya, Dave! Once you've adequately savored your newest glee, how about a compo on the 3 you've owned? Perhaps you're the only one on the forum who has done so.
Now you have me wondering if I truly am that creature of habit!? My first F Type was a MY 15 S IRR. Boy, did I love that car, as it truly was a new experience. That car was on the showroom floor and I'm a sucker for that set-up. The second was a step-up to a MY 17 R that was Ammonite Grey with Red Interior. You guessed it, showroom floor got me again. I really appreciated the difference in the exhaust notes however, there were no flies on the 2015 S exhaust notes. The current 2021 was, yes... on the showroom floor. I finally drove it today from our home near Lake Tahoe to our place in Granite Bay. Not a real great experience on a couple of levels. Specifically, the car is significantly more quiet and if you want a pop and crackle you really have to gear down and stomp on it. By the time I got home, it seemed to be a little more throaty. But, this could be a combination of wishful thinking and imagination. I will (have) to get use to this over time as there are 35.9 months left in this chapter. The handling of this car on Highway 50 which is full of twists and turns in simply amazing. The new suspension and wider tires are responsible for this however, the damn tires are so loud my ears were ringing when I got home. There are bad enough that I will be calling Jaguar to see if they have a suggested solution.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Now you have me wondering if I truly am that creature of habit!? My first F Type was a MY 15 S IRR. Boy, did I love that car, as it truly was a new experience. That car was on the showroom floor and I'm a sucker for that set-up. The second was a step-up to a MY 17 R that was Ammonite Grey with Red Interior. You guessed it, showroom floor got me again. I really appreciated the difference in the exhaust notes however, there were no flies on the 2015 S exhaust notes. The current 2021 was, yes... on the showroom floor. I finally drove it today from our home near Lake Tahoe to our place in Granite Bay. Not a real great experience on a couple of levels. Specifically, the car is significantly more quiet and if you want a pop and crackle you really have to gear down and stomp on it. By the time I got home, it seemed to be a little more throaty. But, this could be a combination of wishful thinking and imagination. I will (have) to get use to this over time as there are 35.9 months left in this chapter. The handling of this car on Highway 50 which is full of twists and turns in simply amazing. The new suspension and wider tires are responsible for this however, the damn tires are so loud my ears were ringing when I got home. There are bad enough that I will be calling Jaguar to see if they have a suggested solution.
Still P-Zeros?
If so you would think that JLR have learned by now that they are crap and gone to something else like MPS4S for OEM fitment.
I'm guessing they are contractually locked into the P-Zeros.

Burt Gummer (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a fair deal for a new model. I guess their showroom floor truck works every time!
Mine is a 17 in ammonite grey with red interior like your old one and that's a magic color combo too!

Look fwd to hearing if you manage to spice up the pops and crackles!

Old 06-04-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a fair deal for a new model. I guess their showroom floor truck works every time!
Mine is a 17 in ammonite grey with red interior like your old one and that's a magic color combo too!

Look fwd to hearing if you manage to spice up the pops and crackles!
Update... I drove a short distance today and Lo and Behold I am starting to get some Pops & Crackles (sounds like a cereal brand) Maybe, there is a bit of a break in period?

Old 06-05-2020, 04:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Some of us thought our cars got louder after 500-1000 miles.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
The pictures below is one of the two brackets that held the frame for the front plate. The top picture shows the bolt that needs to be backed-off to pull the bracket out. Unfortunately, this bolt is behind and therefore near impossible to access. However, please note "near impossible" should not stop you from attempting this. I was able to find a very thin and short 8mm wrench that slipped over the bolt. Then, you can move the bolt a bit at a time until it finally allows you to spin the hold down from vertical to horizontal. When in the horizontal position you can pull it out.

I'm late to this post, but I found an easier method - use needle nose pliers to break all the outer retaining points on the bracket, then unscrew the outer bracket until the rear retaining bolt loosens. Then use your needle nose pliers to turn the bolt by grabbing the threads. After a few turns, you should be able to maneuver the back "wing" of the bracket that is behind the grille face to a horizontal position and work it out through the grille. I couldn't figure out how to get a wrench behind the honeycomb without scratching it - as long as you intend to toss the brackets, this is a good 10 minute operation.

Portlander (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 01:50 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Now that there has been success in removing the license plate bracket, has anyone actually installed one and would it be the same difficulty in reverse? I have a 2021 R and purchased the bracket back in April just in case I got pulled over multiple times in my state that requires front plates. My plan was to accept the warning for the first stop, pay the fine for the second encounter with law enforcement and actually have installed if there was a third. With limited tools I would need to have the dealership take care of it and so far so good and hopefully I can make it through another summer.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:10 PM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Portlander
Now that there has been success in removing the license plate bracket, has anyone actually installed one and would it be the same difficulty in reverse? I have a 2021 R and purchased the bracket back in April just in case I got pulled over multiple times in my state that requires front plates. My plan was to accept the warning for the first stop, pay the fine for the second encounter with law enforcement and actually have installed if there was a third. With limited tools I would need to have the dealership take care of it and so far so good and hopefully I can make it through another summer.
I *highly* recommend the Sto-N-Sho front license plate bracket:

https://stonsho.com/collections/f-ty...ept-svr-sns139

There is already a bolt dead center under the front splitter, so you just take off the one bolt, put the bracket receiver under the splitter and then reinstall the bolt. Mount your plate to the frame and then keep it in your hatch (or install it on the front of the car if you really want to). Should you get stopped, you can just say you took it off for washing and forgot to put it back and you can offer to put it back while you're stopped on the side of the road. It takes less than 10 seconds to insert the plate/bracket into the receiver to give you a front plate again. It's an ingenious design, excellent quality, and--most importantly--preserves the nose of your F-Type from the hideous front plate. MA has a similar law and I've yet to have my Sto-N-Sho plate on the car and I've never been stopped for it. But if I am, I can fix it in seconds.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
Portlander (12-03-2023), Rob Schwartz (12-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 2021 Front License Plate Bracket