F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 F-Type R - uses 1 quart oil in 1st 6000 mi.and dealer can’t find leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:21 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Sov211

i got a kick out of your reply. After the XK engine, the V12 picked up the mantle as the in house trouble maker. Jag never got it straightened out. Jag has made great looking cars, and sold them on the basis of looks because they wouldn’t sell on the basis of their mechanicals.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by F-type-r-2022
The oil showed max capacity on date of purchase and within the year produced a reading stating add 1 quart of oil. At no time has JLR say that this is “normal”nor could they because this is uncommon for this engine.
Did you regularly take an oil reading (the same way each time) during that first year ? Did you notice the gauge reading gradually decreasing ? If you did, why didn't you add 1/4 quart or so when the reading dropped somewhere below MAX and the halfway mark ?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help evaluate the situation. Please keep us posted on what JLR says. I forget what most automakers consider "excessive" oil consumption is on a new engine but know that when an owner reports it the dealers have a procedure where their service department carefully tops off the oil and also adds a type of dye. And then has the owner return to the service department after a set number of miles and they use a UV light to look for external leaks as the first step in determining if the consumption is a leak or is actually burning the oil.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM
Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

The manual for our 2013 MB CLS 550 states: "Depending on the driving style, the vehicle consumes up to .9 quarts of oil over a distance of 600 miles. The oil consumption may be higher than this when the vehicle is new or if you frequently drive at high engine speeds."
German engineering.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Sov211

i got a kick out of your reply. After the XK engine, the V12 picked up the mantle as the in house trouble maker. Jag never got it straightened out. Jag has made great looking cars, and sold them on the basis of looks because they wouldn’t sell on the basis of their mechanicals.
I am happy that my reply about Jaguar engines amused you. While this may seem somewhat off-topic, the underlying thread in your comment relates to the engineering of Jaguar engines. Your experience of the Jaguar V12 engine must be very different from mine (or do you in fact have any experience of these engines?). You see, I have owned 23, yes, twenty-three V12 Jaguars, both in the XJ sedan and the XJS. You are correct about the "looks" of the V12 cars - as an example, I owned and loved this V12 Vanden Plas for more than 12 years:

The V12 engine of this car:

But you say that the V12 engine was an "in-house trouble maker" for Jaguar". Of those 23 V12 cars that I have owned, not a single one, none of them, had any significant engine issue, despite the fact that several had high kms on them. Problems in general with the V12 engine primarily related to the owner's lack of normal maintenance: failing to change the engine fuel hoses, for example, or failure to ensure that the cooling system was maintained properly. The failure points of the V12 engine were few, the primary one being the eventual failure of the ignition module - which, by the way, was made by GM/Delco. It could be replaced easily in 15 minutes (max.) at a cost of approximately $60.
None of the engines, even those with high kms, burned any significant amount of oil. In fact, I never had to add oil to any of the V12 engines between regular changes. The V12 was and is a silky smooth and reliable engine, assuming proper maintenance - and that maintenance is just common-sense care.

So to get back to the original topic, the use of a quart of oil in the first several thousand miles on the OP's F-Type does require investigation unless the cause can be found to be an error of calculation or in the original fill volume.

Last edited by sov211; 10-05-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Not one of them, not one, required oil added between changes.
I have had the opposite experience. All 4 of my Jaguar V12's and all 4 of my V8's (4L, 4.2L x 2 and 5L) have needed oil between yearly changes.

The following users liked this post:
Suaro (10-07-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
I have had the opposite experience. All 4 of my Jaguar V12's and all 4 of my V8's (4L, 4.2L x 2 and 5L) have needed oil between yearly changes.
In my parlance, “needing oil” means that the dipstick level has fallen below the mid-point on the cross-hatch markings on the dipstick. None of my engines have ever used enough oil to get below that level.

The following users liked this post:
SouthSider (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 04:04 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Did you regularly take an oil reading (the same way each time) during that first year ? Did you notice the gauge reading gradually decreasing ? If you did, why didn't you add 1/4 quart or so when the reading dropped somewhere below MAX and the halfway mark ?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help evaluate the situation. Please keep us posted on what JLR says. I forget what most automakers consider "excessive" oil consumption is on a new engine but know that when an owner reports it the dealers have a procedure where their service department carefully tops off the oil and also adds a type of dye. And then has the owner return to the service department after a set number of miles and they use a UV light to look for external leaks as the first step in determining if the consumption is a leak or is actually burning the oil.
The answers to your questions are :
1. Yes
2.yes
3. I actually took it to the dealer when I noticed the level decreasing faster than normal. They said the level was “good”. The assumption was that I didn’t know how to check for oil until I reminded them of my Range Rover. I said what happens when it goes to the add oil section. They said bring it back and that is where we are now.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
If the dealer did in fact get under the car, remove the aerodynamic panels and carefully examine the underbody for signs of oil leaks, then chances are that it burned a quart. And 1 quart over 6000 miles on a brand new engine is a lot but not excessive. Every car is different. I had a couple of cars with the Nissan VQ engines and both burned oil during the break in period and one didn't settle down and stop burning oil until about the 30,000 mile mark ! My Mazda on the other hand only burned about 1/4 quart every 5000 miles for the first 15,000 miles and now doesn't seem to be using any oil at all.

Hard to tell for sure on a Jaguar since they don't have a dipstick. How do you know for sure that it is 1 quart down from how the car was delivered ? Did the electronic gauge go from MAX to well below the half mark when always checked under the same condition ?
The decrease was gradual from the max position at purchase date till the add 1 quart point.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by SouthSider
The manual for our 2013 MB CLS 550 states: "Depending on the driving style, the vehicle consumes up to .9 quarts of oil over a distance of 600 miles. The oil consumption may be higher than this when the vehicle is new or if you frequently drive at high engine speeds."
German engineering.
That’s wide tolerances! Glad I don’t own a German engine.

Last edited by F-type-r-2022; 10-06-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

That’s wide tolerances! Glad I don’t own a German engine.
I add about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 4000-6000 miles. Decent car. Rides great, the twin turbos give plenty of power when you need it.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:42 AM

2022 F-Type R - used 1 quart of oil in 1st 6000 miles and dealer can’t find leak! Says let’s see if it happens again. It’s smells of oil even at cold starts.

What do you guys think?

UPDATE. UPDATE. UPDATE. UPDATE

Dealer drained the oil and measured then added more oil and they are going to measure every thousand miles to monitor any future oil loss.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Can't say it's excessive? My modified 2014 XJR will use some oil when pushed. I race at the Texas Mile and after 6-8 runs of 180 MPH+ I have had to add less than a quart of oil. Regular driving will sometimes require a quart about where your at 6000 miles or so. I consider this perfectly fine and normal.

I will say many manufacturers accept what I consider high oil usage as "normal". I have seen new 911's consume 1 quart in 900 miles and Porsche claimed it was within normal oil usage range and would not do anything about it. Seemed high too me?

Old 10-15-2022, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Can't say it's excessive? My modified 2014 XJR will use some oil when pushed. I race at the Texas Mile and after 6-8 runs of 180 MPH+ I have had to add less than a quart of oil. Regular driving will sometimes require a quart about where your at 6000 miles or so. I consider this perfectly fine and normal.

I will say many manufacturers accept what I consider high oil usage as "normal". I have seen new 911's consume 1 quart in 900 miles and Porsche claimed it was within normal oil usage range and would not do anything about it. Seemed high too me?
Jaguar says it’s excessive; hence the oil procedure.

Thus, there is no need to opine about what “we” think and what “other manufacturers” say. We joined this forum to share facts. The web is already full of comments that, opine, speculate etc..

Old 10-15-2022, 04:25 PM
Received 260 Likes on 132 Posts

Report back. It is likely just break in...but who knows. Might be nothing or could be a major issue...keep an eye on it and make sure the car is level when checking....it can make a big difference at least in my car's case.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Jaguar says it’s excessive; hence the oil procedure.

Thus, there is no need to opine about what “we” think and what “other manufacturers” say. We joined this forum to share facts. The web is already full of comments that, opine, speculate etc..
When you say Jaguar, is this someone in consumer affairs or an actual tech rep from JLR? The older Jags a quart every 1000 miles was considered normal. I am just wondering who is saying this is unacceptable.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
When you say Jaguar, is this someone in consumer affairs or an actual tech rep from JLR? The older Jags a quart every 1000 miles was considered normal. I am just wondering who is saying this is unacceptable.
That’s a bizarre question. Who talks to “consumer affairs” for issues like this? Why would you think “older” Jaguars would be in any way relevant to a 2022 models. No one cares what the 2008 XJ8 oil use was etc..

Nevertheless, I will answer this bizarre question because it could help someone who is very young etc…

When I said Jaguar I meant Jaguar. Specifically the dealer mechanics and the technical support people that approve warranty repairs. That is why they are performing the oil testing protocol to see if the engine is performing to design as it was NOT designed to produce oil odor and lose a quart of oil every 6 thousand miles.

Old 10-16-2022, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

That’s a bizarre question. Who talks to “consumer affairs” for issues like this? Why would you think “older” Jaguars would be in any way relevant to a 2022 models. No one cares what the 2008 XJ8 oil use was etc..

Nevertheless, I will answer this bizarre question because it could help someone who is very young etc…

When I said Jaguar I meant Jaguar. Specifically the dealer mechanics and the technical support people that approve warranty repairs. That is why they are performing the oil testing protocol to see if the engine is performing to design as it was NOT designed to produce oil odor and lose a quart of oil every 6 thousand miles.
I find your sarcastic response to be Bizarre! As a service manager & multiple Jaguar owner I was simply asking a couple of questions. For your sake I hope you are less confrontational with them as it will get you a lot further. With regards to the "very young etc" I purchased my first Jaguar an XJ-12C in 1978.

Old 10-16-2022, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

My 2021 P380 6 cylinder consumed about a pint in the first few thousand miles.
I had similar concerns initially having once owned an oil burner XJ6.
None used in the last 12K or so.
I asume just break-in consumption, and I would guess (opine?) that the R's 8 cylinders likely uses more during break-in.
Hopefully your issue is only temporary.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
My 2021 P380 6 cylinder consumed about a pint in the first few thousand miles.
I had similar concerns initially having once owned an oil burner XJ6.
None used in the last 12K or so.
I asume just break-in consumption, and I would guess (opine?) that the R's 8 cylinders likely uses more during break-in.
Hopefully your issue is only temporary.
I hope so too.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Can you post where Jaguar says this is excessive oil consumption?
That would very useful to others?
Is it covered by warranty if the consumption is over a certain amount?

Quick Reply: 2022 F-Type R - uses 1 quart oil in 1st 6000 mi.and dealer can’t find leak