F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 F-type > Removal of front license plate frame and bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2022 F-type > Removal of front license plate frame and bracket

So, first mod... getting rid of the front license plate mount. The hard plastic "frame" is mounted to two brackets that mount to the grill.

To remove the brackets, use a Dremel-type tool to grind a slot into the end of the bolt that tightens a wing-shaped "grip."

After you grind the slots, use a small flat-head screwdriver to back the bolt out as far as it can (there is an obstruction that eventually stops the bolt.

Then, carefully put your fingers into the grill openings and twist the wing-shaped piece of plastic 90 degrees to allow the bracket to be pulled out of the grill.

Now... the F-type insignia can be seen and the front of the Cat is w/o blemish!

The following users liked this post:
RudyF6 (05-18-2022)
Old 12-25-2023, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wht not just use vice grips to turn it?

Old 01-20-2024, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Max Tenet
Wht not just use vice grips to turn it?
I did that but it failed to loosen enough to rotate the “wings”. I don’t have a dremel so will try drilling the center of the bolt then insert a tap to rotate it. If that doesn’t work, the bolt will be drilled out.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ended creating a slot with wafer cutoff wheel. The screw needs to be slightly below the surface, then the wings will rotate sufficiently.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Justabout
I don’t have a Dremel so will try drilling the center of the bolt then insert a tap to rotate it.
Another possible plan of action is to use "left-handed" or reversed drill bits...

Amazon Amazon

These kits (many that include screw extractors, AKA EZ-Outs) are not that expensive. A good addition to your tool cache.

Justabout (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Massachusetts reverted to requiring a front plate after many years when was not required.
I can only conclude that it is to enable toll cameras to get your plate coming and going.
Apart from destroying the front appearance of sharp cars like the F-Type, it gets worse if your expensive car does include an OEM attachment plate .
Then the plate is screwed directly into an expensive body panel approximating the mid line front, though I have even seen tags screwed directly into corner panels where there was no suitable front space available.
You are fortunate to live in a state not requiring a front plate.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:30 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I haven’t run a front plate in MA since I got the car in 2013 - no one has said anything. I keep the plate, tow hook mount and tools in the glove compartment so I can put it on if requested. And for state inspections.

Old 01-21-2024, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I haven’t run a front plate in MA since I got the car in 2013 - no one has said anything. I keep the plate, tow hook mount and tools in the glove compartment so I can put it on if requested. And for state inspections.
No one has said anything…until now. I happen to have a direct pipeline to Massachusetts State Police. You should be hearing from them quite soon. (I also know where you live). Remember:

Every Thing Ends.

DJS (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 12:28 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess I'm happy to hear that MA has all other crime locked down so they can now focus so much more time cracking down on the real menaces to society. Murders, human trafficking, robbery, abuse, drugs, etc all have negative consequences for others. How are you harmed if I don't have a front plate? Who is harmed - oh, yeah, those who want to collect more of our money.

Justabout (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

But unless you also take off the black plastic plate that the tag attaches to, what have you accomplished?
It is legal to only have a single (rear) plate if you still have the green ones that the state stopped issuing in 1987, though they must be looking pretty crappy by now.

Last edited by CJSJAG; 01-21-2024 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

My dealer never attached the front plate holder.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:52 PM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

I asked the dealer to take the front plate holder off before delivery. It's in a box in the garage. And my front plate is mounted onto the Sto N Sho mount and resides in the trunk (in case I need it) but it's never been on the front of the car.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

You blokes have it so easy compared to us in Oz!
AFAIK it is illegal in every state and territory to not display a correct number plate both front and rear, and I mean VERY illegal, lock him up and throw away the key illegal.
Can't have any scofflaw getting away with exceeding the speed limit by even the tiniest amount when going past a greed camera.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:44 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I live in Commiefornia where front plates are required. The second thing I did when I got home in my new F Type was remove the front plate. The first thing I did was disable the auto start-stop feature.

I have not had a front plate on any of my cars since 1982. I did get a fix-it ticket back in 2002 for not having a front plate by an over zealous motorcycle cop who was running traffic enforcement in a school zone (where I was proceeding at 20 MPH as was prudent). I put the plate on, paid the fine and took it off again. I have received just a few tickets (for moving violations) in the last 42 years but in no case if the officer noticed the lack of a front plate did they say anything or cite me for it.

If I am ticketed for the lack of a front plate in the future I'll buy a Sto N Sho mount. For what I understand from reading several automotive forums, here in California you are only likely to get a ticket for no front plate if you are stopped for something else and either the cop decides to pile on additional violations just because he doesn't like your face or you are acting like a jerk and asking for it. They have better things to do and more serious motor vehicle code violations to keep them busy.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I also purchased a car in Texas (2014 XJR) where the front plate is required. The car was sold new here and the dealer did not install the front plate. I have run without the front plate on several cars over a number of years with zero problems.

Until it was! Got stopped JUST for the front plate. I pointed out that during the time he had me pulled over at least 20-50 cars going in both directions also had no front plate. His reply? Yes I am very busy as all I am in charge of is ticketing cars without the front plate!

Got a ticket and it was dropped after I sent a picture to the court showing the from plate and bracket installed on the car. I was a bit miffed at the dealer and when I went there it get the factory bracket put on (at my own expense of course!). I asked that it be done for free as the car was sold new in Texas and the dealer did not install the front plate which is required by law?? Seems like the dealer sold the car illegally since it lacking the front plate which is mandatory in Texas?

No good and I had to pay all around. I have since kept it on as I don't want to fight the holes in the front bumper cover. It was pristine before the front plate was installed!

Old 01-22-2024, 08:59 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I also purchased a car in Texas (2014 XJR) where the front plate is required. The car was sold new here and the dealer did not install the front plate. I have run without the front plate on several cars over a number of years with zero problems.

Until it was! Got stopped JUST for the front plate. I pointed out that during the time he had me pulled over at least 20-50 cars going in both directions also had no front plate. His reply? Yes I am very busy as all I am in charge of is ticketing cars without the front plate!

Got a ticket and it was dropped after I sent a picture to the court showing the from plate and bracket installed on the car. I was a bit miffed at the dealer and when I went there it get the factory bracket put on (at my own expense of course!). I asked that it be done for free as the car was sold new in Texas and the dealer did not install the front plate which is required by law?? Seems like the dealer sold the car illegally since it lacking the front plate which is mandatory in Texas?

No good and I had to pay all around. I have since kept it on as I don't want to fight the holes in the front bumper cover. It was pristine before the front plate was installed!
Shucks - would have been a perfect time for the Sto & Sho.

The following 2 users liked this post by M3 Wrath:
Chuckster (01-23-2024), Dwight Frye (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 08:08 PM
Received 245 Likes on 129 Posts

Sto N Sho is the way to go......

The following 2 users liked this post by GeorgeIII:
Dwight Frye (01-24-2024), Justabout (01-27-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 07:19 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I have not had a reason to try this, but I understand that a good strategy to avoid a ticket for no front plate is to have one mounted on a Sto N Sho and kept in your storage compartment.
If pulled over you politely tell the officer that you took it off when you were buffing the wax job on your car and forgot to reinstall it. And ask if you can install it right then and avoid a citation.
Having the right attitude can go a long way when interacting with an LEO who has the power to ruin your day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
Carbuff2 (01-24-2024), Chuckster (01-24-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just keep the tag in the trunk. Both times I got pulled over, I told the cop that I just bought the car in PA and theydont have front plates there. Said I called the distributor and they are going to send me one.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Sto N Sho is the way to go......

YES...These are great. I am a Front plate rebel myself, and have paid over $500 in fines, but still not going to put a plate on. I currently just have no plate on the front of the F-Type. One thing I learned on the Sto-n-Go is the speed rating is legit! I had the remote control electric version on my 911 Turbo and it was rated to ~140 MPH I think. Went to airstrip races and as soon as I got to 140 mph, it bent down and drug the ground Just threw it away and never put a plate back on...😉

Quick Reply: 2022 F-type > Removal of front license plate frame and bracket