F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Jaguar F-Type Goes V-8 Only

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

I love the XJ220 story, but there was a little bit more to it than v12 vs the twin turbo 6 (though that would have been a big issue). From memory there was also going to be AWD and scissor doors, on top of that it came out during a recession and people were trying to wiggle out. I'd guess the recession was the overriding factor for most people everything else were excuses not to proceed. I'm familiar with that concept, our property market has peaks and troughs, every time it falls I act for people with quite extraordinary reasons why they shouldnt have to complete the purchase of the high rise unit that they signed up for 2 years prior when the market was climbing.

I suppose that I have a foot in each camp on this one. For me if you want a muscle car that will retain its appeal long term, it should be a manual, and the f Type doesnt offer a v8 manual. Personally I wouldnt be throwing huge money today at an auto v8 which is going to be outperformed by performance EV's benchmarked on the Taycan, save for engine note. That said, if there was a great v8 manual which ticked all the boxes, it might not be smashed by the depreciation bat quite as much. I've opted to keep my auto F Type and buy a manual v8 '19 Mustang. I'm not expecting the Ford to be a patch on the Jag, but get to scratch all itches, albeit not at the same time.

The following users liked this post:
Suaro (06-05-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great!!! Just as it should be! You get to be the greatest with focus. Those who want a 4 or 6... buy a Lotus, Mazda, Focus, Subaru....,

The following 2 users liked this post by ctmather:
SouthSider (06-04-2021), spegor (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I love the XJ220 story, but there was a little bit more to it than v12 vs the twin turbo 6 (though that would have been a big issue). From memory there was also going to be AWD and scissor doors, on top of that it came out during a recession and people were trying to wiggle out. I'd guess the recession was the overriding factor for most people everything else were excuses not to proceed. I'm familiar with that concept, our property market has peaks and troughs, every time it falls I act for people with quite extraordinary reasons why they shouldnt have to complete the purchase of the high rise unit that they signed up for 2 years prior when the market was climbing.

I suppose that I have a foot in each camp on this one. For me if you want a muscle car that will retain its appeal long term, it should be a manual, and the f Type doesnt offer a v8 manual. Personally I wouldnt be throwing huge money today at an auto v8 which is going to be outperformed by performance EV's benchmarked on the Taycan, save for engine note. That said, if there was a great v8 manual which ticked all the boxes, it might not be smashed by the depreciation bat quite as much. I've opted to keep my auto F Type and buy a manual v8 '19 Mustang. I'm not expecting the Ford to be a patch on the Jag, but get to scratch all itches, albeit not at the same time.
Good feedback there Bruce,
I saw the Mustang coming as you were making a lot of sense. All my cars are old and I try and look after them myself. I have always loved the Mustang's and would accept a V8 in the old ones as they were easy to work on. I have had v8's in the past and most of those were easy. But today they can be a nightmare when they go wrong. Even though most ICE cars today have become over engineered. Maybe the EV car will be our future if they don't build too much into them. But that will be most unlikely as the buyer is their own worst enemy. The modern buyer want so many things in cars today and it's not a need it's just a want. So the car makers play on our emotions and take advantage of them by giving us what we want.
But we do need to learn to be careful about what we wish for because we are creatiing our own motor industry down falls. The proof of this in in the depreciation of most cars. We want it and then we don't. Why?

The following 2 users liked this post by back in the seat:
1fldsqn (06-10-2021), BruceTheQuail (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ctmather
Great!!! Just as it should be! You get to be the greatest with focus. Those who want a 4 or 6... buy a Lotus, Mazda, Focus, Subaru....,
Good point. I think the little Mazda Miata MX5 would be a great little car to rip up the windy country roads on a Sunday drive in Australia, and without breaking any speed limits. I always like smaller motorbikes because you can cruise with the big one like the GT cars but get into a small one and you can throw it around having fun pushing it to it's limits.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:26 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

The pricing for the p450 rwd and p450 awd is absurd. 10k difference and there aren't any more standard options included in the AWD. So they're basically asking 10k for the AWD.

There also seems to be little difference between R and p450 AWD for a price delta of 20k. You get standard performance seat in the R and discounted price for black pack, everything else are still options at the same price as the p450.

Something doesn't seem right here.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
The pricing for the p450 rwd and p450 awd is absurd. 10k difference and there aren't any more standard options included in the AWD. So they're basically asking 10k for the AWD.

There also seems to be little difference between R and p450 AWD for a price delta of 20k. You get standard performance seat in the R and discounted price for black pack, everything else are still options at the same price as the p450.

Something doesn't seem right here.
I suppose Ray, even the emperor has to change his new clothes sometime. The modern car is becoming a mystery to me at the moment, and I know that cars have to change and advance but so many modern cars now are so much alike, inside and outside. Jaguars were never just a name to me. Jaguars were what I grew up with. My first car was a Jaguar 420 and my second car was a XJ6 Series 1 in the early 70's. These cars were like nothing else and were great value for money because they were so different and unique.They weren't a luxury car by name and status. They were luxurious cars which was the original meaning of a luxury car. Many of the modern luxury cars today are good enough for the emperor but not for me.

JagGuardian (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by back in the seat
Good feedback there Bruce,
I saw the Mustang coming as you were making a lot of sense. All my cars are old and I try and look after them myself. I have always loved the Mustang's and would accept a V8 in the old ones as they were easy to work on. I have had v8's in the past and most of those were easy. But today they can be a nightmare when they go wrong. Even though most ICE cars today have become over engineered. Maybe the EV car will be our future if they don't build too much into them. But that will be most unlikely as the buyer is their own worst enemy. The modern buyer want so many things in cars today and it's not a need it's just a want. So the car makers play on our emotions and take advantage of them by giving us what we want.
But we do need to learn to be careful about what we wish for because we are creatiing our own motor industry down falls. The proof of this in in the depreciation of most cars. We want it and then we don't. Why?
Good question; and the answer from my perspective is that variety is the spice of life, and the desire for the latest tech.

Since some of the subject in this thread is about older cars you just to love a Brit forum dedicated to Jaguar's that has an emoji available of a 1985-1990 IROC Z/28

How cool is that

Old 06-04-2021, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SVR 575
Good question; and the answer from my perspective is that variety is the spice of life, and the desire for the latest tech.

Since some of the subject in this thread is about older cars you just to love a Brit forum dedicated to Jaguar's that has an emoji available of a 1985-1990 IROC Z/28

How cool is that
You are so right SVR 575 about variety being the spice of life. But I unfortunately I have a low comfort zone and have discovered that too much variety in life just causes me anxiety. I have learnt that the more man possesses the more man is possessed. And all the modern sales marketing stuff and their psychology that I am bombarded with don't give a dam about me, it's all about them making money. I am more at peace when surrounded with artistic beauty and the older Jaguar car offered me that beauty and peace of mind.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"What next. Bring back the 12?"
Now, there's an idea! :-)

Old 06-05-2021, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by JagGuardian
"What next. Bring back the 12?"
Now, there's an idea! :-)
I don't think that the V12 is a good practical idea, but if you are thinking about making money then yes. The rev heads would love the V12 even if it only goes 5mph on the top speed faster than the V8.
You never know when you will need that 5mph on top of whatever to get you out of trouble. But having the skill to drive a car at 160mph instead of only 155mph on restricted speed limited roads would take a lot of skill. However the positive side of this scenario is that your speeding fine would not be that much different.

JagGuardian (06-07-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:16 AM
Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I would take the V12 even if was slower

The following 3 users liked this post by bcbruno:
1fldsqn (06-10-2021), JagGuardian (06-07-2021), Sparky H (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bcbruno
I would take the V12 even if was slower
I am very curious to know why you would go for a V12 bcbruno.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:21 PM
Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I am very curious to know why you would go for a V12 bcbruno.
Probably same reason between an Aston Martin v8 or a V12, without think on the disadvantages, mostly the sound, also bit more special and exotic.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I hope whoever thought sticking 4-cylinder engine into F-type was a good idea also got fired.
Sorry but disagree with you completely , it all depends what part of the world you live in now, for me have had several V8 jags the xkr been my last, my country is serious on C02 emissions, carbon tax and the like, a V8 now cost €2300 per year, I wanted an F-type and to have a V6 €1700 carbon tax or V8 €2300 each year was a no go, then the difference in price, I love the 2.0 engine and is as powerful as the V6 340 as I test drove one some time ago and date I say better to handle, it has the look and suits my needs, great car and one of the biggest seeker now in the European market in 2.0 form , it doesn't bother me if I see an R or V6 , love them all , just because a person has either it doesn't make them any different than anyone in a 2.0, it's still an f-type.
People should look at the difference in US prices of F-type in engine size and see how more expensive they are in the European market.

Last edited by powerhouse; 06-05-2021 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
BruceTheQuail (06-05-2021), SVR 575 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

Yeah it's a bit like that here too, the 4's are drive away at around $150K, the 6's $200k and the R's are getting on $300K. I love the 4 pot engine which we have in our XE and I would find it hard to justify the extra $50K for a 6, let alone double the price for the R. I was at the dealers a few days ago and their floorstock was all 4's, if you didnt look at the exhaust pipe you'd never know until they started one.

powerhouse (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Sorry but disagree with you completely , it all depends what part of the world you live in now, for me have had several V8 jags the xkr been my last, my country is serious on C02 emissions, carbon tax and the like, a V8 now cost €2300 per year, I wanted an F-type and to have a V6 €1700 carbon tax or V8 €2300 each year was a no go, then the difference in price, I love the 2.0 engine and is as powerful as the V6 340 as I test drove one some time ago and date I say better to handle, it has the look and suits my needs, great car and one of the biggest seeker now in the European market in 2.0 form , it doesn't bother me if I see an R or V6 , love them all , just because a person has either it doesn't make them any different than anyone in a 2.0, it's still an f-type.
People should look at the difference in US prices of F-type in engine size and see how more expensive they are in the European market.
Thank you powerhouse. Thank god someone out there knows what they are talking about for once. Practicality for many motorist has gone out of the door as they hang on to their Juvenile mentality of having the biggest engine, and the most cylinders. Sometimes I thing that one can relate mens anatomy with many motorist's mentality. I though that when they put a 2ltr 4cylinder under the bonnet of a F Type and a Mustang they were moving forward not backwards. (The practical mechanic's like Scotty Kilmer also think so too) All the big brand makers of the past now admit (mostly off the record) that their four and straight sixe's that they built their reputations on, were the most practical and dependable motors of all time.

powerhouse (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 05:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,489 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Sometimes I think that one can relate men's anatomy with many motorist's mentality.
Agreed, the most painful part when I bought my V8 was having 75% reduction surgery.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
ferrral (07-02-2021), JagGuardian (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

In Ireland there isn't one R F-type on the roads, maybe one V6, if there was they are all exported to the UK same with lot of performance cars c02 tax is a lot cheaper. The new 2.0 in Ireland starts at €95,000 with no options the €105 for the vert. The 450 RWD €138,000 the 450 AWD €147,000 and then the 575 €189,000 all with no options it would take the 575 way over €200,000 with extras , callosal price and then pay €2,300 each year on c02 tax, no way. Correct me if I'm wrong but in UK for road tax on F-type it's around £465/€541 then dropping after a few years. Seems the UK and the US is the only place the bigger engines are flourishing , Europe the 2.0 is the main seller.
I was so pleased when 2.0 was launched and as I said doesn't disappoint, exhaust note seems to be a big thing for some people, but I've mine modified which gives me plenty of noise, pops and bangs, speed now is dictated by speed cameras and there everywhere so that's not an issue, it drives well , looks well, and is an F-type.
Think there is a lot of ,big man little man syndrome, O you shouldn't have a small engine in that car, Sorry but to quote Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are a-Changin"

Old 06-06-2021, 05:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,489 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Correct me if I'm wrong but in UK for road tax on F-type it's around £465/€541 then dropping after a few years.
I just paid £490 for my V8 (gets much cheaper after 7 years, though), it's more expensive if registered before March 2017 and much cheaper if registered before March 2001. I think governments are missing a trick to get people out of cars and on to public transport - if I've paid nearly £500 quid to use my car for a year there's no way it's staying at home while I take a smelly bus full of other people!

SVR 575 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 382 Likes on 267 Posts

Quick Reply: 2022 Jaguar F-Type Goes V-8 Only