F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Jaguar F-Type Goes V-8 Only

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 AM
Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Agreeing with many points said, 4cyl is wiser, better, more economic etc..., but being called "Juvenile" or "unwise" or even "don't know what they are talking about" when someone wish a V12 option or even that would be unwise Jaguar make a V12 option available is a bit....

After a mostly Porsches, Audi, Mercedes, Bmw, Alfa's and even Smart, F-type V6 and now a V8, from 3 cylinders to 12 cylinders, sure i would like to have V12 if available and if I could afford it, that's exactly the reason i traded the V6 for V8, more expensive? Yes, better? All them are good and different, would you have F-type 2.0? Sure, is also great.

But if you can afford more exotic engine/ car and if only 2.0's are available (excluding if they make some 2.0 like the crazy v6 XJ220), then you will get other brand/ model instead a Jaguar F-type, the V8 made me stay on Jaguar instead of a R8 or 911! Perhaps i have more Jeremy Clarkson views than a Scotty Kilmer on sport cars. With that said, sure, being "more" rational, i would have a Tesla, a Hybrid or Dacia instead of a "mostly" useless two seat sport car, regardless if is 2.0, 3.0 or 5.0.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I just paid £490 for my V8 (gets much cheaper after 7 years, though), it's more expensive if registered before March 2017 and much cheaper if registered before March 2001. I think governments are missing a trick to get people out of cars and on to public transport - if I've paid nearly £500 quid to use my car for a year there's no way it's staying at home while I take a smelly bus full of other people!
Imagine paying £1900/€2300 each year and it never changing for your V8

Old 06-06-2021, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
In Ireland there isn't one R F-type on the roads, maybe one V6, if there was they are all exported to the UK same with lot of performance cars c02 tax is a lot cheaper. The new 2.0 in Ireland starts at €95,000 with no options the €105 for the vert. The 450 RWD €138,000 the 450 AWD €147,000 and then the 575 €189,000 all with no options it would take the 575 way over €200,000 with extras , callosal price and then pay €2,300 each year on c02 tax, no way. Correct me if I'm wrong but in UK for road tax on F-type it's around £465/€541 then dropping after a few years. Seems the UK and the US is the only place the bigger engines are flourishing , Europe the 2.0 is the main seller.
I was so pleased when 2.0 was launched and as I said doesn't disappoint, exhaust note seems to be a big thing for some people, but I've mine modified which gives me plenty of noise, pops and bangs, speed now is dictated by speed cameras and there everywhere so that's not an issue, it drives well , looks well, and is an F-type.
Think there is a lot of ,big man little man syndrome, O you shouldn't have a small engine in that car, Sorry but to quote Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are a-Changin"

So you went and modify the 2.0 to sound more like the 3.0 and then if someone prefers a better sounding engine, mostly sure is something wrong inside of their trousers. Check.

PS. I noticed in this forum happens a lot someone with small engines go after others opinions when they are different. Is also the same between RWD or AWD, or if tune or not. Perhaps they just want to re ensure they have made the best decision. And then go a bit on personal attacks or offtopic. Enjoy what you have without judge others and is space enough for all options and opinions.

The following users liked this post:
tzoid9 (07-02-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bcbruno
Agreeing with many points said, 4cyl is wiser, better, more economic etc..., but being called "Juvenile" or "unwise" or even "don't know what they are talking about" when someone wish a V12 option or even that would be unwise Jaguar make a V12 option available is a bit....

After a mostly Porsches, Audi, Mercedes, Bmw, Alfa's and even Smart, F-type V6 and now a V8, from 3 cylinders to 12 cylinders, sure i would like to have V12 if available and if I could afford it, that's exactly the reason i traded the V6 for V8, more expensive? Yes, better? All them are good and different, would you have F-type 2.0? Sure, is also great.

But if you can afford more exotic engine/ car and if only 2.0's are available (excluding if they make some 2.0 like the crazy v6 XJ220), then you will get other brand/ model instead a Jaguar F-type, the V8 made me stay on Jaguar instead of a R8 or 911! Perhaps i have more Jeremy Clarkson views than a Scotty Kilmer on sport cars. With that said, sure, being "more" rational, i would have a Tesla, a Hybrid or Dacia instead of a "mostly" useless two seat sport car, regardless if is 2.0, 3.0 or 5.0.
Good thanks for your feed back bcbruno. I think Jeremy Clarkson and his team may have persuaded many a motorist in a particular direction of performance and speed. I believe in the 90's he had a had a Jaguar X300 and then the V8 version. The show is great entertainment but I never seem to get any real information about cars from it. The show always appeared to be about speed and performance to me, and there was no way that I would ever be able to drive a car like those guys do. They are driving like that all the time and get lots of practice. The reality is that on the road things often come as a surprise and without regular practise my reactions are not as good as I would like them to be. I see these guys with super cars loosing control and smashing them up. I wonder how these cars can loose control. is it the driver or the car or is it both? We pay a lot of money for our cars but do we really know what we are getting our selves in for, and shows like Top Gear don't really help, they talk speed and performance but very little practicality. There must be something about cars that possess us to buy the fastest, and without thinking place our selves in a positions of temptation that could put ourselves in fatal danger.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:11 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Agreed, the most painful part when I bought my V8 was having 75% reduction surgery.
Bada bing bada boom

Old 06-06-2021, 07:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,489 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by back in the seat
I see these guys with super cars losing control and smashing them up. I wonder how these cars can lose control. is it the driver or the car or is it both?
The car on its own will never even move, so it must be the driver making the difference. Of course, a powerful car will identify the talent available (or at least the common sense!) behind the wheel rather quickly ....

Old 06-06-2021, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by back in the seat
Good thanks for your feed back bcbruno. I think Jeremy Clarkson and his team may have persuaded many a motorist in a particular direction of performance and speed. I believe in the 90's he had a had a Jaguar X300 and then the V8 version. The show is great entertainment but I never seem to get any real information about cars from it. The show always appeared to be about speed and performance to me, and there was no way that I would ever be able to drive a car like those guys do. They are driving like that all the time and get lots of practice. The reality is that on the road things often come as a surprise and without regular practise my reactions are not as good as I would like them to be. I see these guys with super cars loosing control and smashing them up. I wonder how these cars can loose control. is it the driver or the car or is it both? We pay a lot of money for our cars but do we really know what we are getting our selves in for, and shows like Top Gear don't really help, they talk speed and performance but very little practicality. There must be something about cars that possess us to buy the fastest, and without thinking place our selves in a positions of temptation that could put ourselves in fatal danger.
Appreciated you appreciated my opinion, It's easy to enjoy every kind on engines without associate a engine type with someone's anatomy type (stereotypes sucks) or think in all negativity, that only make us go backwards.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by cstall
I dunno...
As a kid, I was promised flying cars by now.
I feel cheated!
With a V8S, you're close (if not in heaven).

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
Mbourne (06-06-2021), MK18 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by bcbruno
Appreciated you appreciated my opinion, It's easy to enjoy every kind on engines without associate a engine type with someone's anatomy type (stereotypes sucks) or think in all negativity, that only make us go backwards.
And regardless of my opinion which is of only value to me, your white FTR is a very good looking car regardless of the engine. I have often said that I would love an E Type even if did not work, just to be able to look at it ever day. I dig that kind of love for a car. If you think that that is strange, then here is something even more stranger about me. I have been a car enthusiast all my life and I don't even care for driving. I think it is boring and a waste of time especially in traffic. The most interesting story I have ever heard about cars is the one about Prince Philip who bought a Aston Martin Lagonda in 1954 and only just sold it a few years ago. That I admire about a car lover. What sort of person buys a car and keeps it that long. I'm not being critical because I have had a car for 44 years, so I know about that kind of love.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
The car on its own will never even move, so it must be the driver making the difference. Of course, a powerful car will identify the talent available (or at least the common sense!) behind the wheel rather quickly ....
Modern cars, including F-type, do amazing job of keeping the driver from doing stupid things but no technology can overcome physics.

I frequently drive 40+ year old classic cars. One of my favorite roadsters is no-ABS, no-traction control V8 with about 250 HP. I have locked tires or skid in it on dry road more than once, which could have easily resulted in a disaster if I didn't have training in recovering. Add 30% more power to that and it would be a death trap for anyone but a trained race car drivers.

Did you know that over 50% of original Vipers (pre-ABS, no traction control) got crashed, most in 1-person accidents? This should tell you everything you need to know about what is likely to happen without nannies with F-type.

Last edited by SinF; 06-07-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I seriously considered getting the V6 model, but once I started adding the options that are standard on the R model, the cost differential wasn't that great anymore. I figured that since I was about to spend as much money as my first house cost, I might as well go whole hog and spring for the top of the line model with a few options that were important to me.

If I had to choose between a 450 HP V8 and the 575 HP V8 I think I might be happy with 450 HP. But it will be interesting to go to the Jaguar website and do a "Build My Vehicle" exercise once the models are available and see what the cost difference is with those two models once the preferred options are chosen. Will it be $10k ? $20K ?

Old 06-07-2021, 09:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Did you know that over 50% of original Vipers (pre-ABS, no traction control) got crashed, most in 1-person accidents? This should tell you everything you need to know about what is likely to happen without nannies with F-type.
I vaguely recall back in the 70s or 80s a UK car magazine trying to do an article about a particular model of Ferrari after six months, of which only 6 were imported into the UK. As I recall, only one owner was still alive.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I figured that since I was about to spend as much money as my first house cost ...
Ah, the advantage(?) of old age - my F-Type was 7 times more than my my first house cost. Of course, I could (relatively) easily afford the Jag, whereas I could only just about afford the house at the tme!

Old 06-07-2021, 05:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, now that got a chuckle, scm!

Old 06-08-2021, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The housing market is absolutely insane. My shed is now worth more than my F-type. There probably would be multiple offers if I were to put it on the market (the shed).

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
1fldsqn (06-10-2021), JagGuardian (06-08-2021), scm (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Modern cars, including F-type, do amazing job of keeping the driver from doing stupid things but no technology can overcome physics.

I frequently drive 40+ year old classic cars. One of my favorite roadsters is no-ABS, no-traction control V8 with about 250 HP. I have locked tires or skid in it on dry road more than once, which could have easily resulted in a disaster if I didn't have training in recovering. Add 30% more power to that and it would be a death trap for anyone but a trained race car drivers.

I drive a 40+ kind of classic (1963) which can only do about 80Mph and built in England in a time when there was no speed limits on the large motorways. it is terrible to drive after driving a modern car. However the modern cars go much faster (not including cars like the F Type etc) but all the same they won't let us go fast anymore.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by spegor
It is capable. the P450 is the same engine. with the vap tune only you get 605 HP, about 36% more punch and power, and you feel it a lot
Has anyone really looked into the P450 yet. The 5.0 engine is capable of 450hp without an SC. Even if it is supercharged, I would guess they’re not going to waste money on a TVS1900R but spend it on a smaller SC instead making 600+ horses with a pulley and tune impossible.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Has anyone really looked into the P450 yet. The 5.0 engine is capable of 450hp without an SC. Even if it is supercharged, I would guess they’re not going to waste money on a TVS1900R but spend it on a smaller SC instead making 600+ horses with a pulley and tune impossible.
Yep! sound pretty hot to me. Please let us all know if it's top speed is really what they say it is from your personal experience. I know from my past that many cars in reality would vary when pushed to their boasted top speed. Horsepower and specs mean nothing if it won't do what it's supposed to do. I always remember the E Type on one of its first magazine road tests struggling to achieve its top speed. Those that I knew who owned them just after their release said that they were nice at 120mph but 150mph was slow and not always quite reachable. Anyway who gives a dam about a few miles per hour., the show "Top Gear" does. However when you are a racing driver however those few MPH can make all the difference. In my younger days when you took a car to a workshop to get it tuned, they would take out afterwards for a test run and make sure it worked the way it was supposed to. I grew up in England and remember the AC Cobra team getting stopped on the M1, not for speeding but for using the motorway as a test track. One way was acceptable but continues runs were not. Many years later I bought a car from one of the team members and he gave me the true story from the horses mouth.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,229 Likes on 2,383 Posts

The P450 engine is identical to the R 575 PS engine other than the ECU tune so yes it already has the TVS 1900R SC plonked on top.
And as already mentioned a basic VAP tune will take it to 600+ neddies which means the only thing holding anyone back is warranty.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am sure there is not any differences beacuse of the HUGE Increase of torque in all RPM engine. It is not like the tune in the S V6, that was a bit like a sensation of more power in the high rpm. I can feel the more power, anyway I tested the 100-200 km well under 8 seconds (medium 7, 4 seconds)

Quick Reply: 2022 Jaguar F-Type Goes V-8 Only