Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 F-Type “Eagle” Event

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts
Default 2023 F-Type “Eagle” Event

I wasn’t planning on this being an actual event. But I was wrong, as it had all the earmarks—and (very) early and long hours—of being one. So maybe I was in denial or delusional, or both. Nevertheless I thought I would share the following with the forum and especially those who wanted to come but couldn’t.

Friday Aug 4, 2023 was not only the 233rd birthday of the United States Coast Guard but Portland, Maine saw the arrival of the spectacular 295-foot (90 m) U.S. Barque Eagle; “America’s Tall Ship” and the training vessel for U. S. Coast Guard “swabs” and cadets. It was around this celebration that I thought I would invite various participants of past events here in Maine.

I’ll encapsulate what transpired over the course of 4 fabulous days and include a few pictures here in this post (not knowing many I can load on one post) and the following.

Thursday, Aug 3: We kicked things off, as usual, at our house where everyone was greeted with Prosecco, a few beers, and a smattering of delicious hors d’oeuvres. We didn’t want to overdo it as our group of 21 had dinner plans at the wonderful 555-North, located in the Federal Hotel in Brunswick, Maine. Dinner was spectacular and a shout-out and thanks to owner Gerard Kiladjian, GM Avery and her entire staff for a delicious evening.

Friday, Aug 4: The group—knowing what to expect from me—didn’t gripe when I picked them all up at their hotel at 5:15 AM. Why so early? Because the first U.S. Coast Guard boat was leaving at 6:00 AM for a very special “ride-in” to meet Eagle in Casco Bay, transfer from boat to barque, and sail “Eagle” into Portland Harbor. If that sounds special it surely is. When was the last time you were on a 47-foot Coast Guard (unsinkable) boat followed by a trip on their training vessel Eagle? I thought so. I also invited Maine Public Radio/TV aboard and they were with us the entire time. After I made introductions to both (the amazing) Sector Commander Northern New England Captain Amy Florentino and Captain of the Eagle (equally amazing) Jesse Rozzi-Ochs, they were left to their own devices.

Everyone was all (broad) smiles as we cruised into Portland Harbor approximately 10:00 AM.

Once we disembarked—a heck of a process for a 295-foot ship—we stumbled upon a fabulous breakfast/lunch joint on Commercial Street called The Maker’s Galley which suited our group beautifully. Thanks to owner/chef Adriana and her staff for a fantastic breakfast. We had some time on our hands—some of our group went in different directions— before a U.S. Coast Guard Foundation soirée was to begin at 6:00 PM. I had invited A LOT of my friends and good acquaintances to this splendid affair in the hopes that it would benefit the Foundation. I will spare you the minute details but it most certainly did. In attendance was also my friend (CEO/President of Bangor Savings Bank)—Bob Montgomery-Rice— who had sponsored many of our events in the past.

The food aboard Eagle—prepared and presented by the crew of the Eagle—was SPECTACULAR!!! (I’ll post some links in a subsequent post; I want to send this post ASAP at the risk of losing what I have typed already).

Saturday, Aug 5: We met Saturday morning at a group favorite—Broadway Deli in Brunswick, Maine—and you know breakfast was awesome. We departed after a hearty breakfast for a special Brunswick Police Department charity car show. A low-key affair, we had a grand old time taking it easy and taking in the other cars—of various makes, models, and years. Plenty of the men and women in blue were present, and appreciative, of our presence. And…no one was ticketed! Unless you include getting a raffle along with our entrance fee a ticket.

This was the “official” end of the weekend but one of our group stayed another night so my wife and I took them to Water Street Kitchen & Bar in Wiscasset, Maine. We went back to our house and stayed up until midnight. We also made breakfast for them Sunday morning and they departed around Noon.

I’ve truncated this write up for various reasons and a few pictures might best give you a small glimpse of what we all experienced:

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-08-2023 at 03:26 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
DJS (08-12-2023), HermanWiegman (08-16-2023), Mahjik (08-07-2023), Mbourne (08-08-2023), piperman (08-07-2023), Portlander (08-07-2023), scm (08-07-2023), Thunder Dump (08-07-2023), VroomForTwo (08-14-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks U.S. Coast Guard for the lift!

T & M Bourne.

Happy as two clams. And that’s appropriate as my friend Chris—pictured here with his wonderful wife Anne—unlike George Constanza is a real marine biologist.

Thumbs up!

Why they would let this guy on Eagle I will never know. Sector Commander Northern New England Captain Amy Florentino & Captain of the Eagle Captain Jesse Rozzi-Ochs.Two EXTRAORDINARY individuals!!!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-07-2023 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Mahjik (08-07-2023), Mbourne (08-08-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

A (beautiful) blast from the past…for one of us.

Mbourne.

Itsmejoshy and his beautiful fiancé Kay.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

DJS and his awesome brother-in-law Jim (who came all the way from Denver, CO).

Two phenomenal couples.

One not-so-phenomenal (and tired) host; wearing his VAP t-shirt and his fantastic Grand Prix Originals USA Driving Shoes.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-07-2023 at 10:10 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Mahjik (08-07-2023), Mbourne (08-08-2023), TheDrainPlug (09-28-2023), Thunder Dump (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 12:07 PM
Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Another of Jay Levine's fantastic event weekends

For those of you who may not personally know Jay Levine, any time spent with him is a memorable experience. And for those who've participated in one or more of his many F-Type events, they are extra special. However, IMHO, this past weekend even was one of a lifetime event and I treasure having been a part of it. Oh, the weather didn't exactly cooperate but, as always, we were prepared and made the most of it. The same can be said of the Coast Guard and the Coast Guard Foundation along with the Brunswick, ME police and a few others. Being a Coast Guard brat, I've always reserved a special place in my heart for the Coast Guard and the men and women who serve. Being aboard the USCG barque EAGLE was a thrill of my lifetime. Being able to ride her into port only heightened the experience. However, what pleased me the most was the willingness of Coast Guard Academy Swabs and cadets to interact with us passengers. Having been a graduate of another federal academy several decades ago I was pleasantly surprised to see how informal and relaxed these young men and women were. They were actually oh, so much fun to be among and I was sad to see the experience end. Sadly, a good many of the swabs and cadets won't make it through to graduate. And fewer still will make a career of the Coast Guard. But, in the event a Coastie needs assistance for some family difficulty, thanks to donations from Jay and those of us with him as well as many other donors, the Coast Guard Foundation will be there to help. The Coast Guard is a small service and its Foundation is smaller still. Yet, it was the Foundation and its New England representative, Marc, who was able to pull off this very special occasion for me/us. Not just anyone is able to do what we were allowed to do. Thank you Jay, Coast Guard Foundation, and the men & women of the U.S. Coast Guard. I shall treasure this experience forever.

The following users liked this post:
VroomForTwo (08-14-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

You really nailed it Frank. (Although I could have done without the “Jay Levine experience”). Thank you very much! The fact is I could go down a very long list of the people I have met—everyone from Admirals to swabs—and everyone in between—who have impressed me beyond belief. I am honored and privileged to call many of these Coast Guard members friends; and that is a word I use quite sparingly. I hope others who shared the “experience” with me will chime is as the Coast Guard and Foundation richly deserve it.

Thank you again Frank.

P.S. One last shout-out to Deputy Sector Commander Northern New England Commander Megan Drewniak (and her husband who I Ioved meeting as well and their cadet son aboard Eagle) and my very dear friend—the Former Sector Commander Northern New England Captain (ret.) Brian LeFebvre; who joined us—along with his beautiful wife—for dinner Thursday night as well as aboard Eagle on Friday.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

The one and only Marc Cregan, Regional Director of Philanthropy, U.S. Coast Guard Foundation and the host of all the CG festivities. You did an amazing job Marc!

THE ONE and ONLY Irwin Gratz—host of Maine Public Radio and “Morning Edition”; if you live in Maine (and even if you don’t) EVERYONE knows Irwin Gratz—along side Captain Amy Florentino and Irwin’s lovely wife Bonny.

Thunder Dump (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Two years ago when we toured the USCG Northern Sector base in South Portland, Marc Cregan explained something perhaps not apparent to many (it wasn't to me): the Coast Guard is under Department of Homeland Security, not the Department of Defense, which means those who serve in the Coast Guard do not have access to the same programs and perks as those who serve under the far more heavily subsidized DoD. So the Coast Guard Foundation's mission to provide support and aid to Coast Guard members and families is all the more important.

Thunder Dump (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

How many formal speeches were there from the host?

Old 08-07-2023, 05:10 PM

I seem to recall that there were only four speeches which may have taken a total of fifteen minutes...at the most. They didn't detract from the occasion in the least bit

Old 08-07-2023, 05:18 PM

Thanks for reminding me Jim. When there was a government shutdown, unlike DoD, Coast Guardsmen didn't receive ANY pay but still had to perform their duties. Eventually, Coasties were retroactively paid when DHS received its budget authorization (it takes a while after Congress authorizes a budget before the funds work their way down the pipeline); however, food still needs to be put on the table for families, mortgages and debts need to be paid. Most people and especially service men & women live paycheck to paycheck. The Coast Guard Foundation helped those in most need.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
How many formal speeches were there from the host?
Hey, I resemble that remark. I happen to know for a fact that at least one attendee—and his fiancé—have attended most of our events for the express purpose of those speeches to which you refer. Not that I enjoy making them (someone has to). Not sure what said attendee is going to do in October when I am no longer hosting. He might just go into withdrawal. And…they are ANNOUNCEMENTS (sorry for shouting) not speeches.

Originally Posted by Ichi Ban
I seem to recall that there were only four speeches which may have taken a total of fifteen minutes...at the most. They didn't detract from the occasion in the least bit
Frank. Unless I miss my guess Thunder Dump (a.k.a Matt) was referring to my making speeches, NOT the speeches which were given aboard the Eagle by Captain’s Rozzi-Ochs and Florentino and Marc Cregan. Matt is a genuine prankster (and a thief). Nevertheless he is a great guy. You should see what he gifted me after last year’s event. “It’s real and I cannot use it for what it is intended for”.

Originally Posted by Ichi Ban
Thanks for reminding me Jim. When there was a government shutdown, unlike DoD, Coast Guardsmen didn't receive ANY pay but still had to perform their duties. Eventually, Coasties were retroactively paid when DHS received its budget authorization (it takes a while after Congress authorizes a budget before the funds work their way down the pipeline); however, food still needs to be put on the table for families, mortgages and debts need to be paid. Most people and especially service men & women live paycheck to paycheck. The Coast Guard Foundation helped those in most need.
That was outrageous!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-07-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Mbourne (08-08-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

The greatest “reward” I receive from hosting any event (besides the countless friendships my wife and I have acquired over the years)—at this point we can safely call that “9”—are the multitude of smiles on everyone’s faces as we mingle and meander throughout the great State of Maine; regardless of the hour. The next best thing (rather, a different thing) are the cards and letters I receive after each event expressing heartfelt words of gratitude and then some. Those cards and letters mean the world to me. Then, there’s the “reward” of a physical gift, much as I am loath to accept anything other than the aforementioned.

Thank you very much Andy!

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Mbourne (08-19-2023), scm (08-10-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 05:12 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Jay, you are incorrigible …but we like it.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Jay,

What went wrong? You're only in two of the photos.

Looks like another great event.

Graham

Ichi Ban (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 06:09 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Go Coasties. Sounds like a great event with great folks.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Awd
Jay, you are incorrigible …but we like it.
That makes one of you. (We missed you Alan but I am grateful we have not only kept in touch but have remained close friends).

Originally Posted by GGG
Jay,

What went wrong? You're only in two of the photos.

Looks like another great event.

Graham
What went wrong, my dear Graham, was I hosted my ninth event. Truth is I did not have any intentions of hosting any more events (DJS has the baton) but when I heard that USCG Barque Eagle was planning on coming to Portland, Maine—and the Coast Guard Foundation asked my help in organizing a well-attended event in Portland (knowing I know a lot of people)—well…I guess I couldn’t help myself. I won’t go into details BUT A LOT of good was produced from this spectacular event—and not just the memories that all participants will have to last a lifetime. Perhaps at some point I can provide details…(trust me, it might actually move one to tears. It does me).

[re] my being in only two photos. Contrary to what you might think, I am not only not looking for the limelight but during all of these events I actually recede in the background watching the smiles on everyone’s faces and making sure everything is going according to plan. And it always has. Given the choice, I shun the camera. But since you ask, I will PM you a photo or two . Speaking of PM, I’ve already replied to yours this morning.

Originally Posted by YRS
Go Coasties. Sounds like a great event with great folks.
(Thank you Graham!). The men and women—and [the] women are taking over!!!—of the United States Coast Guard are truly some of the finest men and women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. And since the 2018 Jaguar F-Type Wild Blueberry Blast I have had the pleasure of being in their company many, many times.And, yeah, “our” group ain’t so bad either.

I would encourage anyone to check out the websites of the following:

United States Coast Guard: www.USCG.mil
Coast Guard Foundation: www.coastguardfoundation.org

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-22-2023 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Fix the QUOTE
The following 5 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
DJS (08-22-2023), GGG (08-21-2023), Jim F (08-26-2023), Mbourne (08-23-2023), scm (08-21-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dinanywor
That's the kind of thing you remember for a lifetime. Hats off to you for coordinating everything so seamlessly, from the early morning boat rides to the delicious meals. Truly an event well-executed!
Speaking of special events, if anyone is looking to plan something that leaves an impression, I'd recommend checking out https://lalightingandsound.com/downt...tion-services/. They handle everything from sound and lighting to entire stage setups. Could be a useful resource for anyone aiming to go all out for an event, much like you did with the F-Type ""Eagle"" event.
🙏

My event-hosting days are over—9 is enough—with the baton being passed to our esteemed forum member DJS (who attended all nine events I hosted in the Great State of Maine). His event kicks off two weeks from this Thursday; but I believe he’s already “booked up”. I’ve often wondered why more people don’t host in their respective towns…the “rewards” (and I don’t mean of a monetary value) of doing so are multi-faceted.

Portlander (09-27-2023)