F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 FTR Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 21 FTR Coupe

Waiting at my dealer today for some work, and they have this '21 R Coupe on the floor. I've been one of the 'haters' of the '21 refresh since I first saw pictures, and I have to say after seeing it in person ... I feel even more strongly about it. Definitely not one of the 'converted once I saw it in person' crowd. It's a swing and a miss, IMO. The grill and front redesign makes the hood look flat and stubby, almost brachycephalic like a pug or a boston terrier (which may be affecting my judgement, as I can't stand brachycephalic dogs ). Ruins the long sleek hood lines that they used to have, and overall actually makes the whole car look like it sits higher than it does. I had to measure the ground clearance between this and a '20 V6 R-Dynamic to be sure because the '21 R looks like it sits just as high as the XJL sedan it's sitting next to. I do like the quilted seats on the interior, that's a nice high-end touch that I wish my R had, and the brushed/satin aluminum trim on the side vents and grille surround are definitely an improvement over the old chrome, but otherwise...not a fan.

The following 2 users liked this post by lpf4:
madmax1911 (08-06-2020), SinF (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

I have seen a couple in person as well and agree there is something not right with the proportions of the front end. Still a gorgeous car though and still one I would be happy to own.
The aluminum trim is awesome looking......hmm, wonder if I could wrap mine to look like that

The following users liked this post:
lpf4 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

That front angle makes it look like a 4 door sedan or saloon car. Not desirable in the least for what it is. And look at the water staining on those trim pieces already; i'd be worried about that long term.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Burt Gummer (08-13-2020), JacksonvilleJag (08-06-2020), lpf4 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

That was my first thought as well. The front end look sedan-ish. I've seen a couple in person and while it does look better than pictures, I'll keep mine.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

The only thing I covet on the newer models is the diamond quilting on the seats/interior...

Old 08-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
That front angle makes it look like a 4 door sedan or saloon car. Not desirable in the least for what it is.
For sure, they had this sitting next to a white XJL sedan, and the front ends looked extremely similar. Don't get me wrong, the XJL is an absolutely gorgeous sedan, but it's not what I want to say about a $110k F-Type exotic sports car.

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
That was my first thought as well. The front end look sedan-ish. I've seen a couple in person and while it does look better than pictures, I'll keep mine.
I was really disappointed. I guess I had my hopes up when I first saw the tail lights and realized it was a '21 that I'd be one of those who saw it in person and loved it. I actually think it looks worse in person than in pictures, though it sitting next to the XJL for direct comparisons to the sedan probably didn't help it's case.

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
The only thing I covet on the newer models is the diamond quilting on the seats/interior...
For sure, if I could get the quilted interior trimming and seat accents on the performance two-tone seats from my '16 R, I'd be beyond thrilled. It does look quite nice.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:30 PM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
Originally Posted by lpf4
I guess I had my hopes up when I first saw the tail lights and realized it was a '21 that I'd be one of those who saw it in person and loved it. I actually think it looks worse in person than in pictures, though it sitting next to the XJL for direct comparisons to the sedan probably didn't help it's case.
For sure, if I could get the quilted interior trimming and seat accents on the performance two-tone seats from my '16 R, I'd be beyond thrilled. It does look quite nice.
When I first saw it in person, it was in a room by itself at the dealer, so I didn't have that direct comparison. Was hard to put my finger on exactly why I didn't like the front end. It is still a great car nonetheless. My wife has the diamond quilted (and cooled) two tone seats in her Pace and I am pretty envious. Doesn't help that she rubs it in all the time.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, it always comes down to a matter of taste. I'm on my third F Type, number three being a 2021 BRG with tan interior. I have experienced as many turned heads and outright compliments, if not more on the newest one. The good news is, if you're happy with your current one, save your dough and keep on truckin!

JacksonvilleJag (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

The front end sort of reminds me of the newer model Mazda 6:

The following 3 users liked this post by UgotMOSSd:
Burt Gummer (08-13-2020), fredd60 (08-14-2020), SinF (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by UgotMOSSd
The front end sort of reminds me of the newer model Mazda 6:
Exactly this, the new front end looks like any generic car designed by Mazda, VW, Audi, etc.

Jaguar is making sure the F-Type fully follows the legacy of the E-Type, Series I was jaw dropping gorgeous, Series II got slightly uglier like the 2018+ facelift F-Types, and Series III got even worse just like the '21 redesign.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

i like all the new touches (apart from the side badge) but i hate the hood and lights... if they hadn't made the lights like that it'd look awesome. Now I think I know why they changed the lights like that, our cars don't really have that super wide and low pressence like a ferrari or even the new corvette so they added the lights lower and more closer to the side of the body to get extra visual width, atleast that's my speculation.

if you compare both pictures the new car does look lower and wider, but it's still hideous IMO (i've seen it in person it looks worse, the hood seems to never end)

Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

While sitll a beautiful car, it most definitely is not improved in any way by the redesign. As often happens, the original is the purest and best.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
GordoCatCar (08-13-2020), JgaXkr (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I like it the more I see it, only at dealer. Really like interior. Look even a Lexus starts to look better after a few years as you get used to to seeing it.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:57 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't care for the quilted leather pattern. I wish the sports seats came in some different color options. I like the styling of the 2021 model for the most part.
Just think, Jaguar could have hired the designer from Lexus and added a cow catcher grill, or the designer from Honda who produce some of the ugliest cars on the road right now, or the designer from Mazda who came up with the front end designs a few years ago that looked like one of those stupid Guy Fawke's masks that the antifa dopes wear.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:03 AM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of the comments about the 21 styling remind me of the reaction to the C7 Corvette - mostly from owners of C6 Corvettes:
"OMG - where are the round tail lights?"
"The rear end of that car is hideous."
"I'm not spending $75,000.00 on a Corvette that looks like a Camaro."
And so on.

If you looked at the reviews - the C7 was well received in the press - just as the F-Type styling update has been well received.

Not having owned an older model - I like to think I had an open mind.
When I bought my car, my dealer had 2 F-Type R coupes - both the same color and equipment - one a 20 and the other a 21.
They offered at least $10,000.00 discount on the 20.

Considering the handling upgrades, the 575 HP engine upgrade, and the styling update - especially getting that bar out of the grille - I didn't think twice.

The 20 is still on the dealer's lot.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by xmo
Some of the comments about the 21 styling remind me of the reaction to the C7 Corvette - mostly from owners of C6 Corvettes:
"OMG - where are the round tail lights?"
"The rear end of that car is hideous."
"I'm not spending $75,000.00 on a Corvette that looks like a Camaro."
And so on.

If you looked at the reviews - the C7 was well received in the press - just as the F-Type styling update has been well received.

Not having owned an older model - I like to think I had an open mind.
When I bought my car, my dealer had 2 F-Type R coupes - both the same color and equipment - one a 20 and the other a 21.
They offered at least $10,000.00 discount on the 20.

Considering the handling upgrades, the 575 HP engine upgrade, and the styling update - especially getting that bar out of the grille - I didn't think twice.

The 20 is still on the dealer's lot.
As a 2021 owner, I couldn't have said it better. It is interesting that a handful of people have compared the 2021 F Type front end to lesser (Mazda Mustang) production cars. I'll offer the 2021 Aston Martin to round out the reviews...

MasterJagTech (09-07-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know there is always room for improvement but I honestly think I’m the looks department they can’t make the f type any better. The SVR is perfect, And my 16R looks good from any angle. I really wish Jaguar would have given options for lightweight seats, exhaust and lightened the car up instead of a refresh exterior. The interior I’m not opposed to a slight refresh.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Well, it always comes down to a matter of taste. I'm on my third F Type, number three being a 2021 BRG with tan interior. I have experienced as many turned heads and outright compliments, if not more on the newest one. The good news is, if you're happy with your current one, save your dough and keep on truckin!
Must be the BRG and tan interior turning all those heads!

raafboy (08-13-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
As a 2021 owner, I couldn't have said it better. It is interesting that a handful of people have compared the 2021 F Type front end to lesser (Mazda Mustang) production cars. I'll offer the 2021 Aston Martin to round out the reviews...

Interesting. When I first saw this photo I thought it was a Tesla.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:49 PM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Speaking of Tesla - Tom Swift and his electric Roadster are going to own the streets at 1.9 sec to 60 and 8.8 in the quarter.
It will be interesting to see how that car impacts the high end sports car market You can get one of the first 1000 'founders' for only a cool quarter mil deposit.

That Aston really fails to impress me. This, however, looks like a proper Aston Martin:

Quick Reply: 21 FTR Coupe