F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

380hp? Well....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
If Jag recommends 95 RON fuel and says the engine makes 380 HP SAE NET, the tests would have been done on 95 RON. It's part of the SAE requirements.
Understood... I'm positing the difference in octane could contribute to the discrepancy between published numbers and those tested on a dyno here in the U.S.

How would an engine 'dial back boost'?
I'll assume this is rhetorical and a snarky way of pointing out that I used a general description of engine behavior that may not be technically correct.

None of what I posted was meant to be taken as fact, rather a possible explanation for the discrepancy in power figures.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut

I'll assume this is rhetorical and a snarky way of pointing out that I used a general description of engine behavior that may not be technically correct.
No, I've seen this stated here several times. Are people meaning to say 'dial back ignition advance'?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 PM

No, I've seen this stated here several times. Are people meaning to say 'dial back ignition advance'?
This is becoming pedantic and doesn't really address my point, but yes I mean dialing back ignition timing and/or regulating boost pressure via the bypass valve.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Just FYI, 95/98 octane (RON) in the EU is equivalent to 91/93 in the US octane rating system.

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just FYI, 95/98 octane (RON) in the EU is equivalent to 91/93 in the US octane rating system.
Thanks Foosh, I wasn't aware of that.

So the only difference is the added ethanol in U.S. gas, which wouldn't affect performance in a measurable way. So much for my theory...

Old 06-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Default 380hp? Well....

The ECU pulls back the throttle, this is well known on Jag engines. It's exactly how you can have various power outputs from the same engine. Also the bypass valve on the V6 and the latest V8 is electrically actuated, not vacuum operated meaning it can be precisely controlled.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Correct. North America switched to the Anti Knock Index (AKI) rating system in the mid '70s. Europe stayed with the Research Octane Number (RON) system.

Generally speaking there's 4 points difference between the two ratings systems for most commercially available gasolines/petrols.

Jaguar for unknown reasons usually states only the RON requirement which leads to confusion by many owners here.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been meaning to ask, for those of us in areas where we only have access to 91 octane (AKI) fuel at retail gas pumps, are there easily accessible and recommended additives we can use to get our fuel AKI closer to 93, or is the only option to fuel up at an airport or racetrack? I seem to recall reading something about this being something that can be improved with an additive but I may be mixing that up with something else.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

As noted earlier, I have never owned a supercharged vehicle, but I do have experience with turbocharged ones of several eras (exhaust pressure wastegate, intake pressure wastegate, intake pressure wastegate with knock detection, and all electronic). My Jaguar is not expected to arrive for another 6-7 weeks, so weigh my comments for speculation and conjecture as you see fit.

So the only difference is the added ethanol in U.S. gas, which wouldn't affect performance in a measurable way. So much for my theory...
Ethanol has 34% lower energy content by volume than gasoline. If the injectors are not sized for it they may be reaching 100% duty cycle. You could get the same power if you could deliver enough fuel, but once the injector is open 100% of the time, that's all you're going to get.

Originally Posted by Cambo
The ECU pulls back the throttle, this is well known on Jag engines. It's exactly how you can have various power outputs from the same engine.
Interesting. It seems somewhat nonsensical but since you say it's well-known, I'll take it as a given.

Originally Posted by Cambo
Also the bypass valve on the V6 and the latest V8 is electrically actuated, not vacuum operated meaning it can be precisely controlled.

That would actually allow *better* optimization and control for various grades of fuel. That's one of the ways my current car gets more power and torque from an engine management optimization (fuel, ignition timing, boost pressure, and cam timing) without changing anything else.

Understood... I'm positing the difference in octane could contribute to the discrepancy between published numbers and those tested on a dyno here in the U.S.

I was positing the same thing.

Correct. North America switched to the Anti Knock Index (AKI) rating system in the mid '70s. Europe stayed with the Research Octane Number (RON) system.

Generally speaking there's 4 points difference between the two ratings systems for most commercially available gasolines/petrols.

Jaguar for unknown reasons usually states only the RON requirement which leads to confusion by many owners here.

Maybe they neglected to translate from English to American?

BierNut (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

+1. RON is posted at the pumps in Europe. The US uses (R+M)/2 as the pump octane rating (also known as the AKI). When blending with standard gasoline components the difference between research (RON) and motor octane was about 8 points resulting in a 4 point difference between research octane and pump octane. However, in recent years the heavy use of oxygenated fuel (MTBE, ETBE and ethanol) has messed with the 8 point differential, leaving it unclear whether the RON is 4 points higher than the (R+M)/2. For maximum performance you actually want the smallest spread possible between RON and MON. Research Octane addresses high rpm/power parameters and Motor Octane addresses lo-mid range hi-torque parameters. Ideally the manufacturers would specify both minimum RON as well as MON and the pumps would have both listed. This is based on 20 year old info when I left the gasoline blending business, so things may have changed even more with the newer hydrocarbons that are going into the fuels.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-22-2015 at 11:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
BierNut (06-23-2015), DJS (06-23-2015), duprey26 (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
I've been meaning to ask, for those of us in areas where we only have access to 91 octane (AKI) fuel at retail gas pumps, are there easily accessible and recommended additives we can use to get our fuel AKI closer to 93, or is the only option to fuel up at an airport or racetrack? I seem to recall reading something about this being something that can be improved with an additive but I may be mixing that up with something else.

If you are simply looking at octane booster additives, in case you were unaware, when they advertise "raises octane 3 points..." That does NOT mean from 91 to 94. What it really means is 91.0 to 91.3 (Thus, three points...)

Merlin (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Again, unless I missed something, I don't think there's any evidence of the engines producing more power on 93 AKI than on 91 AKI. If by basic design or through tuning for a given market the engines do not detonate on the recommended fuel (91 AKI) then there is nothing to be gained with higher octane.

I don't know of any additives that are

1) readily available
2) effective
3) affordable
4) acceptable/safe to use on modern cars

Most off the shelf products at the FLAPS will raise the octane by only .1 per bottle. 91 octane becomes 91.1

Merlin (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

The fast boat crowd recommends Toluene. You can get it in bulk through paint stores. One gallon of toluene per 25 gallons of gas should get you the number you need. Toluene itself is 114 r/m-2 octane.

Merlin (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Again, unless I missed something, I don't think there's any evidence of the engines producing more power on 93 AKI than on 91 AKI. If by basic design or through tuning for a given market the engines do not detonate on the recommended fuel (91 AKI) then there is nothing to be gained with higher octane.
Not necessarily true. If the Octane is less than that recommended, the knock sensors will retard the spark to prevent damage. This will result in reduced power. With the adaptive learning feature of ECUs, some power benefit can be realized with higher octanes, but only to a point.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
The fast boat crowd recommends Toluene. You can get it in bulk through paint stores. One gallon of toluene per 25 gallons of gas should get you the number you need. Toluene itself is 114 r/m-2 octane.
+1.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

If by basic design or through tuning for a given market the engines do not detonate on the recommended fuel (91 AKI) then there is nothing to be gained with higher octane.

That's the "if" in question. A 91 tune won't gain power on 93, but a 93 tune might lose power on 91.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That's the "if" in question. A 91 tune won't gain power on 93, but a 93 tune might lose power on 91.
Absolutely. Is there any evidence that the cars here have a 93 tune? If so, being that 91 is the best available in most places here, why would Jag release cars knowing that they would be in an almost constant state of detonation?

Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

When the new Ford 5.0L "Coyote" V8 debuted in the 2011 Mustang, Ford claimed 420HP on 93 octane, but they also provided guidance approving the use of 89 as well, with a lower power output of 402HP, if I recall correctly. The guidance stated that the ECU would compensate for the lower octane.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Absolutely. Is there any evidence that the cars here have a 93 tune? If so, being that 91 is the best available in most places here, why would Jag release cars knowing that they would be in an almost constant state of detonation?
Manufacturers make a one size fits all tune for a region. Typically the whole NAFTA region will receive the same tune. This causes some holes where certain weather conditions or fuel grades negatively effect the engine performance.

Simply the manufacturer cannot control where you drive the car, so they make a general tune that balances performance and reliability as best as they can across the board. Sometimes they can't make everything work.

BierNut (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Given the F-Type has a 18.5 gallon tank, it looks like the following makes sense...

For Toluene, it looks like you mix 1.5 gals of Toluene to 17 gals of normal 91 octane fuel, you'd end up with a full tank with an effective octane rating of 92.9. Apparently Toluene can be hazardous if inhaled, which makes it a bit risky. Though I guess they used a Toluene mix as racing fuel back in the 80's and 90's.

As an alternative to Toluene, I found a site that sells Sonoco 104 octane racing fuel in 5 gal containers, delivered for $67. If you mix of 3 gallons of 104 octane fuel with 15.5 gal of normal 91 octane, that should result in a full tank with an effective octane rating of 93.1.

Of course, if you go to a track you can get 109 octane there, and then you'd just need 2 gal of that mixed with 16.5 gal of normal fuel to end up at 93 octane.

Not sure if any of these are really cost effective though. Plus this won't really matter unless one has a tune that calls for 93 octane fuel.

Once my powertrain warranty gets to the point where I have 2 years or so left, I plan to go with a new pully and tune to bump up to the claimed 625 ish bhp that is being reported. At that point it may be worth the effort to get that additional octane rating.

Quick Reply: 380hp? Well....