F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4,000 mile 2016 about to go out of warranty, buy aftermarket warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I had my XKR to 5 years with an extended warranty, that had a problem with the adaptive headlamps which was fixed. It would have been a few grand I think, if they replaced the whole unit.
Spot on with the pricing - I had a cracked glass in my 2010 XKR. However, I found a supplier who had the glass-only for sale at £200 and my tame independent swapped everything over to it. He's worth his weight in gold!

Old 09-30-2020, 10:59 PM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, everyone! all thoughtful feedback and helpful. I believe I can do enough research to buy a warranty that "would" pay out, so, while I know people have had bad experiences, I would work to try to ensure that did not happen to me.

Here's a question I am going to pull from my earlier post and try to dangle it so I can get some traction.

HOW in the heck are people blowing their V8 engines? and under what circumstances? and at what mileage range? I've seen more than two threads along these lines and the thread starters seemed pretty happy they had factory coverage,

I want to get an idea if it can be linked directly to cause and effect, or if poor saps are merely driving thru commute traffic and the engine somehow dies on therm?

btw: I am trending to NOT do a warranty, but... want to hear about the engine thing. I have done some searching, it's not real easy to slog thru the results. If ayone has a good memory and some anecdotal info, that would be helpful.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mws
Thanks, everyone! all thoughtful feedback and helpful. I believe I can do enough research to buy a warranty that "would" pay out, so, while I know people have had bad experiences, I would work to try to ensure that did not happen to me.

Here's a question I am going to pull from my earlier post and try to dangle it so I can get some traction.

HOW in the heck are people blowing their V8 engines? and under what circumstances? and at what mileage range? I've seen more than two threads along these lines and the thread starters seemed pretty happy they had factory coverage,

I want to get an idea if it can be linked directly to cause and effect, or if poor saps are merely driving thru commute traffic and the engine somehow dies on therm?

btw: I am trending to NOT do a warranty, but... want to hear about the engine thing. I have done some searching, it's not real easy to slog thru the results. If ayone has a good memory and some anecdotal info, that would be helpful.
From memory not one of those who reported a blown engine ever got back with definitive details or evidence of the root cause, and in almost every case the prime suspect was very low engine oil level.
Moral of the story - check your oil level often and change it often, it least twice as often as scheduled.
Also check your coolant level often and top up as necessary.

The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 05:10 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I agree with OzXFR on this point. Check coolant and oil levels at least weekly.

My F-TYPE V8 is daily driver, mix of commuting and vigorous weekend use.

Just coming up to 60,000 miles only problem (fixed under warranty) was sat nav antenna replacement.

Haven't had warranty for last two years, no concerns

Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 AM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought an aftermarket warranty for my 16 R through Fidelity. I only mention the provider's name because I'd used them for coverage for my E92 M3. I used the warranty once for the M3, a leaking differential seal; had zero problems with the claim. That said, that was the sole issue for the M3 in four years of ownership. I bought the R's warranty for piece of mind above all. I can say the cost of the R's warrantly surprised me...about half the cost of the M3's. I will say this, in both cases, I bought the warranty from a established brand dealers versus going on my own -- and negotiated their prices. My logic is the dealer has a shared interest in their reputation regarding their products....and I think if I have push-back for a claim, the dealer may be helpful.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My dealer sold me Red Shield, they are awful. The dealer no longer sells this plan so I assume they had problems getting repairs approved.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty - extended

Just read a few commetns on the warranty for F Types etc. I have a 2012 XKR. Just got to 59,000KM with only a couple of issues. My AC compressor started to run inconsistently - used only in summer here in Canada so not run during winter so probebly didnt help. My 7 year extended warranty had just run out the month before. Jaguar Kelowna paid 75% of the total $2000 cost!!! Great service. The only other problem over the years was at around 45,000KM Jaguar heard a small sound from the front of the supercharger - apparently there is a spring basically acts to dampen the laod during start and stop. Replaced no question under the extended warranty. If yours is ticking on start up/shut down - change it as it will damage the supercharger. I recently ran over a small rock! Enough to take out the sump and gearbox cover! Just about to get car back but during the replacing of all parts with even a scratch they checked the engine over and it is as strong as the day it was built - no worries there.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Warranties...Interesting. All I say is it's a gamble. They're betting you won't need it and they pocket your money and you're betting you may need it and based on parts and per labor cost you win the lottery. My 2016 F type R has 17,500 miles and the warranty ends this coming November. I paid 4,700 American Dollars for an Jaguar Extended Warranty for 5 years or 50,000k. Now lets see how it plays out ....only time will tell but I feel more comfortable riding the cast fast and hard knowing I have that warranty, my two cents.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Just a note?
The SC snout noise is not something to worry about.
It can be fixed when convenient.
I find the easiest way to hear it to open the door with the car running and the radio off. Then shut the engine off and listen for a clunk or clatter.
You can also upgrade to a coupler that is solid without the spring. This is a very common modification

I will just replace the entire snout as I found one for a very good price.

Also note that if you replace the entire snout there are two different ones depending on the style of SC bypass your car has. They do NOT interchange!
The earlier cars used a vacuum bypass and then it was changed to an electronic bypass in the later cars.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:31 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Time to MOD it !