F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 questions re: build and delivery

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 4 questions re: build and delivery

Some questions for those who have recently taken delivery and/or who are familiar with the process:

1. The "build date" ("week ending...") is, I presume, the date on which assembly begins. What is the typical interval between that date and completion?

2. How long after the build date, i.e. after assembly begins, is the VIN typically available to the dealer?

3. What is the average time between the "build date" and delivery at the dealership?

4. In your experience, is the "build sheet" (so-called by numerous posters here and the same document, I'm assuming, as the View Order) immediately accessible to the dealership upon request by the customer, or is it something that the dealer would need "a couple days" to get? (Point of this question: separating dealer BS from fact.)

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

1. Tricky. The longest part of the process appears to be paint, followed by constructing the bare shell. If build date is when the painted shell goes into the assembly hall you're looking at completion on that day.

2-4. Being based in the UK the process will differ as it only takes a day to get the car from the factory to the dealer. My dealer called to give me an update on when the car was going to be built, only to inform me that it had just arrived on the transporter...

Last edited by F-typical; 07-04-2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-04-2015, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

1. The 5 or 7 days leading up to the "week ending build date" is when construction starts. It seems they have a completion date 7-10 days later.
2. My Vin was available on Monday right after the Friday build date.
3. Average time to delivery is meaningless given the statistical distribution variance, but here's my observations:
a) time from build date to ship loading - 12 to 19 days depending on vessel availability and port of departure. (Liverpool, Southhampton)
b) Trans-atlantic to East Coast will depend on number of stops along the way, but about 7-10 days
c) 1-2 weeks from port to OH, if there isn't a port recall.
All in all, about 5-6 weeks if nothing goes wrong. For me it looks like it will be about 4.5 weeks since I'm so close to the port.
4. It's an immediate print out for them if they actually have the "common order number" issued to them for that car from Jaguar. They may still be waiting on the order number, which means it hasn't been slotted yet.

The following users liked this post:
Frenchy (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

4) The "build sheet" is a status report of estimated dates for the various steps from the factory, once the order is accepted and given a number. The dealer can dump (look and print) an image of this file from the factory computer at any time he chooses to check the status for updates on the progress of the build and delivery dates, etc. In my case, the dealer printed the first report for me one week after I signed the deal which also confirmed all the details of my custom build. Two weeks later he furnished me another one with updates to the schedule. He just gave me a third report with the VIN number, which I reported on another thread.

The following users liked this post:
Frenchy (07-04-2015)