Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000 mile update

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5000 mile update

It's time for the F to go in for maintenance and service. Here's the list:
1. Very squeaky brakes... like embarrassingly squeaky at slow speeds. I mentioned it to the service advisor on the phone, and he seemed rather indifferent to the problem, saying that it is very common with the V8 models. Hopefully they can do something about it.
2. grabby left brake. If I tap or hit the brakes the steering wheel will lurch slightly left, as if the left brake grabbed faster than the right one. Kind of annoying. Not sure what the fix will be.
3. occasional screen blanking. The entire screen will go blank, even though everything else is working. It seems that if I tap the screen in the exact right spot for functions, it will actually work. So it's recognizing touch input but not displaying anything. When I mentioned this to the service advisor he told me that if he can't duplicate it during the service, then he won't be able to do anything. That's kind of irritating but we'll see. Unfortunately, this only happens about once every couple of weeks. The good news is, it happened yesterday....so I whipped out my iPhone and took a video of it. Hopefully this is good enough for him to do something about it.

Last edited by bobby emm; 06-05-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby emm
It's time for the F to go in for maintenance and service. Here's the list:
1. Very squeaky brakes... like embarrassingly squeaky at slow speeds. I mentioned it to the service advisor on the phone, and he seemed rather indifferent to the problem, saying that it is very common with the V8 models. Hopefully they can do something about it.
2. grabby lift brake. If I tap or hit the brakes the steering wheel will lurch slightly left, as if the left brake grabbed faster than the right one. Kind of annoying. Not sure what the fix will be.
3. occasional screen blanking. The entire screen will go blank, even though everything else is working. It seems that if I tap the screen in the exact right spot for functions, it will actually work. So it's recognizing touch input but not displaying anything. When I mentioned this to the service advisor he told me that if he can't duplicate it during the service, then he won't be able to do anything. That's kind of irritating but we'll see. Unfortunately, this only happens about once every couple of weeks. The good news is, it happened yesterday....so I whipped out my iPhone and took a video of it. Hopefully this is good enough for him to do something about it.
Not sure if this would be the reason for the squeaky brakes and grabbing, however the two may be related.. For instance if the one brake disc that grabs is due to an uneven rotor, or dirt, or a slight brake fluid leak, it would likely also be the source of the squeak. I've had this on cars in the past, but none of the Jaguars I've owned, so far at least; the reason was usually one of the above.
My experience with Jaguar service managers is that they are usually a lot more helpful and 'can-do' than the one you are dealing with.
Hope it all gets fixed for you without too much hassle... the video seems like a good idea.
Lawrence

Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

You aren't the only one with squeaky brakes... And I'm in an S. I took mine In For service it was so bad... Still does it, but not as bad. They said they tightened 'some things'. I'm at 6500 miles.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Bobby,

for your squeaking brakes, I have the same issue from time to time but find it to be attributable to brake dust accumulation. After a decent wheel/brake clean the problem goes away. These cars have huge brakes which are tremendously effective but throw off a lot of brake dust. Based on my own experience, I'm confident that my issue is dust accumulation and nothing more troublesome.

For your display issue, I had a slightly different but probably related issue. My screen would fail to start from time to time, by which I mean it would just not power up - the backlight would not fire up, the display was powered off and it was unresponsive. In my case, the dealer (thankfully) DID reproduce the issue and raised it with Jaguar. The factory told my dealer that they were aware of this issue, and that they had developed a software update that addressed it. They sent my dealer the new software, and so far the problem has not returned. Push this with your dealer. It may be that your issue is connected to mine, and Jaguar IS aware of the issue and HAS developed a fix.

Keep us posted!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Known issue with JLR Info system since 2013 and software fix

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

When I bought one of the first XJs that was plagued with issues, they could never duplicate anything... So I started video taping everything. I kept a camera nearby and often times, turned on when I started the car just in case. I got fifty some odd videos and ultimately, a new vehicle since the gremlins in the car were so bad.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 PM

Ok, the F is sleeping over at the dealer tonight. I have a XF loaner (Odd loaner policy at this dealer... it's through Enterprise so I have to pay $100 but then later be refunded.) It's fun to see the differences among models. Brand new car with 1400 miles. It's very quiet and comfortable. Very sluggish when accelerating out of a turn unless I force a downshift (or two). Sound system sounds loads better than my optional system in the F. No rattling bass... imagine that! The vents "disappear" by flipping around when not in use, which is almost as silly as the ones that rise out of the F-type dash. The dial for gear selection is just plain weird and not intuitive at all. The screen is too small. The car refuses to lock and unlock without using the keyfob despite having keyless ignition. This may be a settings issue. The indicated average MPG is 19 which is worse than my F-type but this may be because people drive rentals hard. Is this post boring?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Mine is going in for the 1 year scheduled maintenance next week, at around 8600 miles. Conveniently, the check engine light just came on for the second time. The first time was right after I took it out of winter storage, and they had to replace an O2 sensor. They also did software upgrades, and a fix to the roof to stop uneven wear (they moved a harness.)

I just checked the oil level, and it still says 'full', which is nice.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the post boring hmmm hmmmmmmmm YUP :-P

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Is this post boring?
Haha. Actually I do have a question... Obviously you picked the F type over other cars in its class.
Would you pick the XF over other comparable models from Benz, BMW, etc and if not, how far down the list would the XF be?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by schraderade
Haha. Actually I do have a question... Obviously you picked the F type over other cars in its class.
Would you pick the XF over other comparable models from Benz, BMW, etc and if not, how far down the list would the XF be?
XF is a bit plain looking and driving for me. I'd take the Audi/BMW/MB over it.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

XF is a bit plain looking and driving for me. I'd take the Audi/BMW/MB over it.
I'm with you. That's what makes the F-Type special to me.
Am hoping they do something nice with the XE, but the spy shots look undistinctive. The new XK could borrow some lines from the F-Type.