F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yeah, yeah, yeah, just don't toss market cap at me as being a reliable predictor of long-term success and/or profitability.

At any rate, I'm bored with this hijack, and the entire Meridian topic in general.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-31-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Meridian sound system is awful

i can't believe how bad this sound is. It's actually unacceptable and most cars in this class have much better systems. It's muffled, distorted and just plain bad sounding. Only disappointment in the car.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I must have a different radio, even works somewhat in Meridian mode. Of course I drive with roof down all of the time and can still hear the radio! Is this radio worth a lot of money, no. But it didn't cost a lot of money by today's option standards. Would I prefer Harmon Logic7 ? Yes. But this is not as terrible as everyone seems to think, and don't tell me Porsche , you spend a lot of money to get a decent system in them. As I have said before if sound is your goal get a 4 door or an suv. All those B&W and B&O systems are great but only in larger body styles, even the XK is a larger body style!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Been reading this thread with interest, and a couple others i've found via google search, as the 770W is now standard equipment on our my16 aussie spec r's

has anyone confirmed these issues sorted in the my16 update?

Last edited by domino_z; 06-01-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all, I'm a new F Type R owner with the 770 watt meridian sound system. I too have the problem with the speakers making an irregular sound during heavy bass portions of some of my music. I tend to disagree with anything bring loose such as wires. In my case I have particularly isolated the problem sound to the two speakers on the A Pillars. I have listened to the other speakers and do not hear the same sound which almost sounds like a hissing sound. I'm not an audio expert by any means but I believe there is some frequencies going to those speakers that they aren't equipped to handle and I believe that is causing the distortion. The sound is more prevalent when I have the system set to a surround sound mode than when I set it to stereo. I have used different sources of audio including Bluetooth and sub. I can easily exagerrate the problem by turning down the treble all the way and turning the bass and sub to half way to maximum. I'm using the particular song Turn on the lights by Future. The problem can be reduced by turning the treble to almost maximum and the sub and bass to a little less. The meridian surround seems to exagerrate the problem the worst with DTS and Dolby being about the same. Stereo seems to even out the audio going to those two A Pillar channels which I think reduces the amount of distortion, however, my wife's Bose system in her Cadillac doesn't have this problem and it's not nearly as expensive as this vehicle. This is all just my opinion but I believe base on what I've read on this forum that the problem actually lies within the audio that is being sent to the A Pillar channels and not with any kind of loose wiring but I could be incorrect. I will however not allow any dealer to go digging through my doors to add foam and tape in an attempt to fix a problem that I don't believe is caused by vibration. Just my opinion but maybe someone else can help confirm my theory.

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (06-19-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle fix

Originally Posted by F-typical
To reiterate: Dealerships will only report remedial work if JLR encourage them to do so. Have a look at a UK BMW dealership's IT connections to BMW.
There is a child seat latch cover on the pass side subwoofer. Remove the plastic cover and the bass rattle will be fixed. Note: the system still sucks...just without the rattling.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
Been reading this thread with interest, and a couple others i've found via google search, as the 770W is now standard equipment on our my16 aussie spec r's

I started this thread a little while back, but it seemed to get off topic...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ridian-142065/

Mine is fine. (Not audiophile quality, but no buzzing and after adjusting bass and subs sounds just fine to me.)

Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z

I'll confirm that these issues are not sorted in the 2016 cars. There are a lot of things to love about the car but the stereo is not one of them -- when it's not rattling or buzzing it simply sounds pretty terrible to my tastes; even with the 3D toys disabled it sounds filtered, muddied and remote.

Fortunately, so far I've been completely content to just listen to the mechanical symphony, which is spectacular.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

No, no. There is no issue. If there were, jaguar would be aware of it through the feedback from dealers.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW1
There is a child seat latch cover on the pass side subwoofer. Remove the plastic cover and the bass rattle will be fixed. Note: the system still sucks...just without the rattling.

Can you clarify how you removed that? I thought it was a coat hook?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi Mjb86

Thank you for your post.

I note your comments and would advise that should you wish for Jaguar to investigate your concern, to visit your local Jaguar retailer who will be able to inspect your vehicle and advise accordingly.

Regards

Ryan

Old 06-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Just to note MY16 cars have not been modified in any way to improve the problem. So if you are unlucky, then you will be impacted.

Easiest way to test for the problem is to connect you iPhone over Bluetooth. Download a free App called Tone Generator. Run it through the main speaker like you would music and test the frequencies between 140 and 190Hz. If you have the problem then it was readily show up and a buzzing sound.

Unfortunately, despite Jaguar's tech team receiving lots of direct feedback via they technical training and so many other sources, I reliably told that JLR hold the view that this is what should be expected for a two seat sports car.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speaker, same buzzing

Originally Posted by mawheele
Just to note MY16 cars have not been modified in any way to improve the problem. So if you are unlucky, then you will be impacted.

Easiest way to test for the problem is to connect you iPhone over Bluetooth. Download a free App called Tone Generator. Run it through the main speaker like you would music and test the frequencies between 140 and 190Hz. If you have the problem then it was readily show up and a buzzing sound.

Unfortunately, despite Jaguar's tech team receiving lots of direct feedback via they technical training and so many other sources, I reliably told that JLR hold the view that this is what should be expected for a two seat sports car.
Good tool. I tried that and it really makes it easier to demo the buzzing sound. To the point a few comments up from here, removing the coat hook in my case didn't help.
Also the dealer has already replaced my passenger speaker (behind the seat) and the same problem persists.

I guess back to the dealership I go. Anyone have any direction I can point them to look?

Old 06-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggismaninca
Good tool. I tried that and it really makes it easier to demo the buzzing sound. To the point a few comments up from here, removing the coat hook in my case didn't help.
Also the dealer has already replaced my passenger speaker (behind the seat) and the same problem persists.

I guess back to the dealership I go. Anyone have any direction I can point them to look?
Glad it helps. I remain convinced most cars have the problem as its inherent in the design of the grille mounts.

My dealership has just returned my car after the 7th visit. Using the tool they have been better able to apply fixes, mostly rubber grommets to the speaker grilles. Even ordering new ones is unlikely a fix as the design is fundamentally at fault.

Unfortunately, the dealer scratched the passenger window when I last collected my car. They replaced the window and today when I went to pick up the car the new window was also scratched in a similar location but a different way...ARRRRRGGGHHH.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Well, after 2 months and 4000 miles of being happy with my 2016 Meridian, today I heard "the buzz"... The good news, however, is that I quickly pulled the cover off the child seat retainer anchor, and it's all gone again...

Old 06-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Downloaded the app and have run several full sweep of frequencies from 100Hz right up to the point of not being able to note much reproduction >160Khz at full/mid and low volume with the 770w Meridian system.

No buzzes or vibrations were heard, and I ran with the hood up, down, windows up and down, doors open and closed.

My car was built this year and realise this may not be any consolation to those owners that are having problems with earlier builds, however I hope it helps in painting a bigger picture?

I'm no audiophile as many on these forums, but I would say, although the sound is an improvement over the 300W base stereo we have in the UK, the Surround sound system, given all the hype that Jaguar spouted, is poor.

P.S My neighbours hate me ;-)

Last edited by Tel; 06-24-2015 at 02:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (06-24-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your useful post.

However, it is not correct to say that ALL 2014 cars have problems with trim vibrations and rattling. There are none on my 2014 car, and there never have been.

I've tried all types of music at very high volumes, I have no rattles of any kind, and no detectable distortion at volumes that aren't painful to my ears.

Perhaps I just got lucky, but I'm not the only one who has reported no issues. Having said all of the above, I do agree it is a problem on far too many cars, and it is very unfortunate that JLR has not done a good job tracking and fixing the root cause.

The people with no problems aren't posting on this subject because quite frankly, many of us are tired of reading about it here and happy we're happy.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

The sound quality for satellite (Sirus-XM) is very poor. I have satellite radio in my other cars and doesn't sound worbbily and lack of frequency rresponse like in the F-Type. I received an XF loaner while I am getting my car looked at and the sound quality is considerably better for Satellite radio and other modes as well.

I am having the dealer service check into the buzzing and also an issue where the door speakers don't have any or minimal sound output. If I turn off and on the stereo and reset the sound settings the door speakers then have sound. Next time stereo is turned off and on the door speakers don't have sound again.

Last edited by Norri; 06-30-2015 at 04:42 PM. Reason: quote removed at OP request
Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Peter,

PM sent w/ my VIN.

I have no "buzzing" either. I have no unwanted sounds of any kind (other than the source I'm listening to) emanating from anywhere in the car as a result of using the sound system at any volume I can tolerate.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
The sound quality for satellite (Sirus-XM) is very poor. I have satellite radio in my other cars and doesn't sound worbbily and lack of frequency rresponse like in the F-Type. I received an XF loaner while I am getting my car looked at and the sound quality is considerably better for Satellite radio and other modes as well.

I am having the dealer service check into the buzzing and also an issue where the door speakers don't have any or minimal sound output. If I turn off and on the stereo and reset the sound settings the door speakers then have sound. Next time stereo is turned off and on the door speakers don't have sound again.
Just got my car back from the dealer and they said they couldn't reproduce the buzzing/vibration. The door speaker volume was due to the Meridian mode. Speakers are sufficient volume when on stereo, but not in the DSP modes. Not sure why they sound fine after resetting settings and then go weird. They said there was no firmware update for the stereo that was mentioned in another thread. XM-Radio sounds better in Stereo mode. The other modes were causing abnormal processing of the XM-Radio audio.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question