Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default answer to speakers

this is from the Meridian site.. should answer your question

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Isn't this spec for separate speakers? Don't we have co-axial ones?

Attached Thumbnails 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question-speakermeridian.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by anonymousjagman:
DuhCar (07-02-2015), jaguny (05-23-2016), Unhingd (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Default test results

Well that was fast! If it only comes out through one speaker for you then consider yourself lucky. Also, you are a lot like me when it comes to quality of sound and this always helps any distortion-like noises. Unfortunately for me and obviously others here, the problem can be worse. In my car, the buzz is very prevalent with all of my lossless files and on my DVD's movies in the car. Your test proves immense value and creates even more questions for me concerning this issue because if it is only doing this in one speaker for you, that means the Digital EQ is correct on your vehicle yet still bleeding over to the single tweeter.

I thought about taking this entire system apart and finding the core issue but I am almost certain my crossover plan should be an easy fix to this and a realistic fix for everyone here.. I am trying not to be so selfish also, I REFUSE to drive this car for 3 years with this damn buzz. I would drive wearing my AKG headphones but then I wont be able to hear the backfiring as loud as i'd like

another point, I originally thought it was the tweeter covers like you did so I took them completely apart before using the tone generator. I wish i hadnt because now it doesnt fit quite the same and now thats annoying me

From a standard of sound standpoint, tweeters should NEVER respond to frequencies that low. This will actually cause them to fail. No company is allowed to escape the laws of physics

Originally Posted by Arne
I have just done as you suggested, and I did find a "buzz". When playing with "all" frequencies and adjusting the ballanse front-rear, left-right, the "buzz" could be identified to the right door speaker at 110-120 hz and 160-170 hz. No buzzing when I tested left canal only.

I then tried several of the music I have on a memory stick + several good quality DAB+ radio chanels, but even though I now know what to lissen for, I was not able to hear the buzzing no matter how hard I tried.

I do agree that this is not how it should be, but I do not think it is worth it for me to try to find a fix - as my ears clearly are not able to hear it anyway.

I also think that the "buzz" is the result of something that resonate. Might be the speaker grill/fasterners, or something loose close to (or touching) the speaker.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymousjagman

From a standard of sound standpoint, tweeters should NEVER respond to frequencies that low. This will actually cause them to fail. No company is allowed to escape the laws of physics
I am glad if I could be of any help here.

But the buzz I hear, might not come from the tweeter. It might just as well come from the midrange part of the coaxial midrange/tweeter that is located in the door (if I have understood the layout of the speakers correct)?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I've continued to tweak the settings on my 770w and have found a good compromise that was better than in my previous post. Faded 70% back, Bass +1 tick, Treble +2 ticks, Subwoofer -3 ticks, and using DTS mode.

For now, it sounds pretty good actually! The sound field is still a touch further back than I'd like, but the mid-bass distortion is mostly unnoticeable now and the music has a decently wide (though perhaps somewhat artificially "airy" sounding) soundstage.

Overall, I'm getting pretty happy, but still a touch sad that so many tweaks are needed to avoid the crossover issue.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My test results

Anon, I tested my speakers using the tone generator and I can clearly hear my tweeters making a noticeable static like sound from 15.4 hz to around 101.1hz. However, it is really noticeable between 33.2-44.0hz. Both my tweeters have the sound. If you look at my previous post on page 12, I believe I'm one of the first to suggest that the problem was coming from the tweeters and specified that it sounded like the speakers were being sent a frequency they couldn't handle. I'm not an audio expert though so it was hard for me to to explain what I thought was happening. I believe you are on the right track though and appreciate your help in the matter and hope that you can come up with a solution. It's just sad that jaguar won't fix the problem though as appearantly there is an issue with many vehicles. I guess many people aren't audiophiles though and generally don't care or don't notice the problem. I really can't believe Meridian would design a system with such a flaw though. Anyway, rant over and I know myself and everyone else on here appreciate your help.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default F-Type Audio System Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded their F-Type stereo with aftermarket components? If so, what speakers did you choose and where did you find room for better subs?

Does anyone know where the audio system components are located in the vehicle (amplifier, XM tuner, bluetooth modules, etc.)?

Also does anyone know if there is access to full-range line level before the amplifier? If not, has anyone used a summing component such as JL Cleansweep to obtain signals from bass, mids, and highs outputs?

Finally, does anyone know if there is a way to disable the compression circuitry?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

I know of two people who have done this, one is back up in this thread. A shop in LA apparently has a kit that costs around $5K installed that transforms the stereo system. There was another change by someone not on this forum through the stereo shop I use. Unfortunatly I didn't find out about it until it was done and he was gone so didn't capture any images. Cost was around the same amount but the changes weren't as dramatic. (The first kit changes out the amps and adds a high placed center speaker the second was mostly speakers and enclosuress. No pictures from anyone yet that I have seen, if i have this done I'll try to get pictures taken but I'm actually not $5K upset with the sound system yet but that may change. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I have some excellent component speakers and crossovers that I took out of my last car before trading it in. At some point, I plan to pop the doors open to see what's in there. After my last long trip, I found the speakers (particularly the tweeters) to be quite underwhelming. I have the base 380W system.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Picked up my 16R last week and can't believe how bad the audio system is. Glad I read the forums beforehand and prepared myself. I've only put a 200 miles on the car, but the rattle from the sub(s) has already started. Turning the sub setting almost all the way down helps, but I can't believe Jaguar would put such a shitty sound system in a car like this.

The following 2 users liked this post by JarodL:
aluc4rd (08-10-2015), pistol (05-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi JarodL

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing with your vehicle, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or frustration that may have been caused.

I would be happy to request that you be contacted by Jaguar North America to discuss your concerns and see how they can assist and would be grateful if you are able to provide me with the following information;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Jaguar retailer

Once I have this information I will forward your details to our Global Team who will request that you are contacted by Jaguar North America.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ryan

Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Make sure to check for the SRS restraint system behind the passenger.. It's unlkely your 16 is rattling from the doors like the earlier models.. Also if you read through some previous posts and you'll see some others might have vibrating from the center console area.. It's important to find the source to know really what your problem is
Originally Posted by JarodL
Picked up my 16R last week and can't believe how bad the audio system is. Glad I read the forums beforehand and prepared myself. I've only put a 200 miles on the car, but the rattle from the sub(s) has already started. Turning the sub setting almost all the way down helps, but I can't believe Jaguar would put such a shitty sound system in a car like this.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I am so glad I won this crapshoot.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I am so glad I won this crapshoot.
I think the odds are dramatically better in this case.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think the odds are dramatically better in this case.
Still happy to be on the winning side.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Default Jaguar Customer relations update

Ryan et al;

My 15 F-Type S Coupe was just returned from the dealer to address a passenger door hinge scraping issue. I mentioned that the tweeters are still distorting and rattling the dealership made note of the this issue on the service ticket with no successful repair.

My experience with the customer relations rep has been extremely upsetting, even for an even keeled person like myself. The representative has done his best to defer, deflect, & deny any role in resolving the issue. He only states that the dealership is the sole solution to the problem. He also claims that he has no way outside of calling the dealership of view my service history or work performed to date. Let alone being incredibly hard to contact in the event I miss his "single" phone call attempt (2 rings only). Afterwards per his voice message; he is perpetually "in the office, but unable to answer my call"

This is really disappointing to have such poor customer service and engagement for what I believe was a resurging brand. I truly do not enjoy driving with the stereo on as the distortion is just that annoying, even my children have commented on the "weird" sound as well.

Outside of invoking lemon law and walking away from the brand I'm at a loss of what to do next.

Originally Posted by aluc4rd
Ryan,

I have patiently waited months for this issue to be addressed. I have experienced all of be the aforementioned issues with my (2015 F-type S Cpe) Meridian sound system as well specifically resonance/excessive rattle.

I have scheduled a third visit to the dealership this week to try and address the issue. However my problem is that it would seem the dealership takes a stance that corporate is working the issue. While corp takes the position that they haven't heard enough complaints to merit any further action.

I'm concerned that either party isn't either motivated enough or genuinely concerned with the issue to properly address it all together.

This is my second Jaguar after having to use my states lemon law to get out of my first one (2013 XF 2.0 - unresolved engine vibration issue). However that is not my goal here, I thoroughly enjoy driving my F-type. However the sound system is all apart of the experience and currently it is unacceptable.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (05-22-2016)
Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

For anyone noticing low frequencies coming from their tweeters or midrange speakers, does anyone think that installing Bass Blockers (High pass filters) would cure the issue?

I think that my distortion is coming from the midrange speakers that sit above the subs behind the seats and I'm wondering if this might work to solve this rather than waiting for JLR to develop a solution.

Bass Blockers (600 Hz cut-off) Pairs at Crutchfield.com

Old 08-11-2015, 03:25 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi aluc4rd

Thank you for your post.

I have replied to your PM.

Regards

Ryan

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 AM

Has anyone on here spoke with an attorney possibly regarding a class action lawsuit? I'm just curious if anyone has thought of that. It seems to me that Jaguar is aware of the issue and it is a known defect and they seem to refuse to remedy the problem. I personally have two other vehicles with premium sound systems that cost less than the one on my Jag and neither of those systems has a problem with distorting the bass audio. I have also tested all three of my vehicles with the tone generator recommended by anonymousjagman and only the Jag sends bass frequencies to the tweeters which shouldn't be the case in an audio system of this caliber. Anyway, I just thought I would see if anyone else has considered such an action.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (05-25-2016)
Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Product/service related class action suits are a big rip-off. The attorneys get most of the cash settlement and the claimants get at most a few bucks and some discount coupons. Major health/life related issues probably a different matter.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading many posts on this thread, it's good to know that I am not alone on this. However, did everyone just give up on this issue?

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question