F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Was just searching online for a diagram of the system and came across Tone Audio and What Hi Fi reviews of the 770 watt system in the convertible. Both spoke highly of the system and recommended it. Obviously as many have noted, not all the cars are having issues. I didn't find the diagram I was looking for though.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Was just searching online for a diagram of the system and came across Tone Audio and What Hi Fi reviews of the 770 watt system in the convertible. Both spoke highly of the system and recommended it. Obviously as many have noted, not all the cars are having issues. I didn't find the diagram I was looking for though.
Best buy has the system diagrams on their software systems...., I saw it myself.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Best Buy, the retail store?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:58 AM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Received confirmation yesterday from mObridge that the new v1.8.0 firmware for their DA3 is compatible with Jaguar's MOST bus. No need to sum all the existing high level outputs anymore.

DA3 DSP Professional | mObridge

Time to start planning my install...

Old 04-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts

Guys,

I have watched and read through literally all of the feedback (several times) that has been submitted over the past 18+ months to try and discern exactly what the issue(s) are with the Meridian 770 sound system and exactly what JLR is doing to address it/them. Thus far I have come to the conclusion (as have others on this thread) that there is genuinely something "amiss" with the system's inherent design and/or installation. I have also come to the conclusion that whatever the issue(s) are, JLR has done an abysmal job of addressing them.

That being said, I am in the process of ordering a very expensive custom built SVR. I am working directly with a "Global VIP Client Relations Manager with Special Vehicle Operations" to manage the build. I have brought this issue to his attention (which he claims he is unaware of) and requested that he look into the history of the problem and to tell me exactly what JLR is doing to address it.

For what I will be paying for my custom SVR, I will not stand for poor customer support nor repeated worthless visits back to the dealership that seem to be JLR's standard operating procedure for this issue.

I thank everyone who has contributed to this and other related threads about the Meridian 770 sound system as it has awakened me to an issue that I previously didn't know existed. My only recourse at this time will be to wait and see what response I get back from my Global VIP SVO Manager - which I will share when received. Additionally, when delivered, I will make a thorough evaluation of the Meridian 770 sound system. If I detect any flaws in the system, I will not accept the vehicle until the flaws are addressed to my satisfaction.

Note: I originally scheduled the delivery of my SVR for April of 2017 for my birthday. However in hindsight, knowing what I know now about this issue, it will hopefully provide the time needed for JLR to address this issue once and for all...

The following 5 users liked this post by FeralSVR:
Dr.Chernobly (05-07-2016), jaguny (04-27-2016), Mbourne (04-26-2016), slojotaa (04-27-2016), Smoke Em (04-26-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Best Buy, the retail store?
yes, I will ask my guy to show me the site again. Not sure if a 'non pro" can access it or where it is, but i saw it myself, in detail. Totally amazed at this detail.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks FeralSVR. I spoke to JLR customer service yesterday as I requested a call checking the box on my satisfaction survey following my service visit. I explained my frustration was not with my dealer, as they have been great. I explained I was loyal customer and this was a significant disappointment and there is a underlying problem that dealers cannot address effectively. I would encourage any and all of you with the issue to contact JLR. It seems JLR is interested in surveying, are they interested in solving?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Default Meridian 770 Update

Hi All,

I have initiated communications with my local dealer's Service Manager about the history of problems that they have seen with the Meridian system. I am asking specifically what they have been told by JLR to address them. I am also having this conversation with my designated JLR Global VIP Client Relations Manager Special Vehicle Operations on this topic. Between these two resources, I am hoping to get a better understanding of the Meridian issues from their perspectives and how they are being addressed.

Thus far, I have heard back from the dealer Service Manager:

Good Morning Steve,

On the early F-Type’s there were some issue’s with the audio system performance, but Jaguar has since corrected the issues on those vehicles and current vehicles are fine. We have not received any complaints on the system since the updates were completed by us or in the newer production vehicles.

Any questions or concerns please let me know.

I have responded requesting the specifics of what were the problems they saw, what did they do to address them and if JLR has issued any general fix orders to address them...

More to come

Old 04-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The service manager's response to you is more than likely truthful. That dealership may not have seen any complaints on the later model cars. There are also fewer and fewer people on this forum reporting the issue on later model cars, but obviously we're still seeing some reports on 16s, which would have had the "factory fix" done during assembly.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Default Dealer Service Manager Response

I just received this response from the Dealer Service Manager:

Below are the 2 service fixes which you are referring to, based on the VIN# the audio system fix was implemented at the factory as of June 2015 and the fuel filler fix was implemented November 2015…again we have not seen either one of these issues in quite some time.

SECTION: 501-00
Vibrations and/or Rattles When Listening to the Entertainment System
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year:
2014-2015
VIN:
K00001-K27583
Assembly Plant:
Castle Bromwich
MARKETS:
NAS
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: Vibrations and/or rattles may be evident when listening to the entertainment system.
Cause: This may be caused by trim and/or wiring contact.

I also inquired about the fuel filler pipe issue:

SECTION: 310-01
Fuel Tank Difficult to Fill
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year:
2014-2015
VIN:
K00001-K32543
Assembly Plant:
Castle Bromwich
MARKETS:
NAS
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: The fuel tank may be difficult to fill, with the fuel delivery 'cutting out' several times.
Cause: This may be caused by an insufficient flow rate of the fuel tank filler pipe.

Based upon this information, it appears that the Meridian issues for the MY2014-2015 F-Types have been acknowledged by JLR and a general fix order has been issued on June 2015. Ditto for the filler neck issue, issued in November 2015. It also sounds like the newer models beginning with MY2016 will have these fixes incorporated on the assembly line.

If you are currently experiencing issues with your Meridian system (even if it is with a MY2016), I would highly recommend visiting your dealership and referencing this general fix order. There will be no more denying that the problems exist on JLR's behalf. Now it's up to you to follow up, get the issues documented by the dealer and have it fixed!

To fulfill my commitment on this, I will report back to you when I hear from my Global VIP Client Relations Manager Special Vehicle Operations to verify that the factory is in full alignment with the dealers perspective...

More to come...

Last edited by FeralSVR; 04-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, both those fixes were published here last year, and many 14-15 owners had both the Meridian and fuel filler issue service actions done at dealers. Some reported successful fixes and many did not.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR

SECTION: 501-00
Vibrations and/or Rattles When Listening to the Entertainment System
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year:
2014-2015
VIN:
K00001-K27583
Assembly Plant:
Castle Bromwich
MARKETS:
NAS
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: Vibrations and/or rattles may be evident when listening to the entertainment system.
Cause: This may be caused by trim and/or wiring contact.

I also inquired about the fuel filler pipe issue:

SECTION: 310-01
Fuel Tank Difficult to Fill
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year:
2014-2015
VIN:
K00001-K32543
Assembly Plant:
Castle Bromwich
MARKETS:
NAS
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: The fuel tank may be difficult to fill, with the fuel delivery 'cutting out' several times.
Cause: This may be caused by an insufficient flow rate of the fuel tank filler pipe.
This is consistent with what I experienced (K27733): no problem with the sound system, but couldn't fill the gas tank (has since been resolved).

Now I'm wondering if they will ever officially own up to the clutch issue.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

The fuel filler TSB (which I don't need even though I have a very early VIN) seems to have fixed the problems. There have been very few complaints about that recently.

I had the radio issue. It wasn't apparent when I bought the car used. Dealer applied the TSB and it seems like its OK. I'm wondering if the number of complaints about this has dropped as well (except on this board).

Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Default Feedback from Global VIP Client Relations Manager Special Vehicle Operations

Okay, here's the other part of the equation from the Global VIP Client Relations Manager Special Vehicle Operations:

In response to your questions however:

1. Meridian Sound System - The issues identified with the sound quality and rattles experienced by clients and which you highlighted on the blog have been addressed and rectified. They are no longer present on current builds of F-TYPE.

2. Fuel Filler Neck - The issue you describe has been rectified and is no longer present on vehicles built post October of last year.

I hope that the above answers your questions but please do let me know if I can help any further.

As Foosh has mentioned, it sounds like this information has been communicated in previous responses. My apologies if this has been redundant. However, by resurrecting it again, maybe it will help those who have not seen the previous information that was shared...

Old 04-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can assure all that the blown speaker sound (base/woofer) did (does) exist on the 2016 Type R model that the Service Bulletins will not fix. The only remedy is to document and work closely with your Dealer and as the issue is really with Jaguar just follow the steps outline in the CA Lemon Law and you will get Resolution.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 PM

Thanks for that additional information Marty!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Marty hit the nail on its head !

Originally Posted by martybmw
I can assure all that the blown speaker sound (base/woofer) did (does) exist on the 2016 Type R model that the Service Bulletins will not fix. The only remedy is to document and work closely with your Dealer and as the issue is really with Jaguar just follow the steps outline in the CA Lemon Law and you will get Resolution.
The last thing Jaguar wants is to take back your vehicle under the lemon law. I had a 2014 Toyota Siena van for business, which had a major engine flaw. I brought in the minivan to the dealer 6 times for engine problems. Then hired an attorney free of charge as he billed Toyota and ultimately they took back the minivan. If Jaguar does not resolve this matter, ultimately this is what will take place between Jag owners and JLR.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by martybmw
Yes, it exists on my 16 R even after the amplifier was replaced. As I said in the above post I conveyed this compliant to JLR two days ago. Feral please convey to your Global manager his information regarding the stereo is not accurate. They only need to scan this thread to understand there are still significant unresolved issues.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-28-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Just curious . . . has anyone ever heard of a case of a car lemon-lawed because of a car audio system that sounded crappy? That sounds pretty comical to me.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-28-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lemon Law

I don't think this is JUST a crappy sounding audio system. If it didn't hit the highs well enough or the bass wasn't deep enough then that is a crappy sounding audio system. Speakers that sound blown or rattling panels equates to a flawed audio system.

Jaguar is required to fix these flaws under their express and implied warranties but they can't or won't. Under the California Lemon Law, any non-life threatening defect that cannot be repaired in four attempts is eligible for a buy back.

My issue here is that the Jag dealers at this point are just calling the issue systematic and that they can't do anything to fix it. In order to cover their own *** (despite the fact they have all acknowledged hearing the problem) they are simply saying the system is performing as designed.

The Jag is my daily driver, I put 1,500-2,000 miles a month on my car and I want the radio to function like a defect-free sound system.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question