F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR

1. Meridian Sound System - The issues identified with the sound quality and rattles experienced by clients and which you highlighted on the blog have been addressed and rectified. They are no longer present on current builds of F-TYPE.
This is a blatant lie, or at best Jaguars filing system is so archaic they cant find any of the recent complaints!!

I have read about 5 forum posts stating that this has happened on the 2016 models, and I myself received mine in Nov 15 (MY16 model). It is waiting to go back to the dealer for the THIRD time for this very issue; the speakers are distorted and there is a lot of vibration on the door speakers.

The first trip they refused to acknowledge any widespread fault, despite recordings and hearing the issue themselves. I asked for them to just Dynomat the doors properly as per the Bulletin, but they informed me that this issue didnt exist (despite being able to hear it) and therefore would investigate. The investigation "solved" this problem by resetting the software system and updating it (much to my annoyance as I lost all my waypoints on the navigation etc).

Unsurprisingly 5 days later the same problem came back, I took it back to the dealers and they did something that lasted a month, still saying it didnt need dynomat.

It is now booked in for a third visit, and I have opened dialogue with Jaguar UK, so they DO know about at least 1 case.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I doubt any lemon law would cover sound of sound. All manufacture has to say it sounds that way new and it is what it is. If a fix can be done then they do it if not .....not.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I was hoping we could have someone who is a stereo equipment technician weigh in. What type of software system reset that affects the nav would solve the sound problem?

My dealer service manager is not fighting the issue with me, they don't have any help from JLR to resolve it. I may have a stereo dealer I know who listen to the problem and ask his opinion. I would ask those who are getting aftermarket system replacements to ask if their technicians can provide any insight? Did the TSB fix at the factory not get probably executed in some cars?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I was hoping we could have someone who is a stereo equipment technician weigh in. What type of software system reset that affects the nav would solve the sound problem?

My dealer service manager is not fighting the issue with me, they don't have any help from JLR to resolve it. I may have a stereo dealer I know who listen to the problem and ask his opinion. I would ask those who are getting aftermarket system replacements to ask if their technicians can provide any insight? Did the TSB fix at the factory not get probably executed in some cars?
I asked my audio guy what, in his opinion, was causing the poor audio after he had replaced my stereo, specifically the buzzing/rattling.

His response: Crappy crossovers and poorly designed speaker enclosures.

The speakers, amps, and crossovers were replaced, as well as adding a 10" sub. No DynaMat was installed in the car. I have zero buzzing/rattling, even with the increase in bass with the added subwoofer.

The stereo is now among the best I've had in a vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member

My thought as some others here was the crossovers as well. What did your revamp cost you if are willing to say?

Old 04-30-2016, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I asked my audio guy what, in his opinion, was causing the poor audio after he had replaced my stereo, specifically the buzzing/rattling.

His response: Crappy crossovers and poorly designed speaker enclosures.

The speakers, amps, and crossovers were replaced, as well as adding a 10" sub. No DynaMat was installed in the car. I have zero buzzing/rattling, even with the increase in bass with the added subwoofer.

The stereo is now among the best I've had in a vehicle.
Hi, can you give us the details of what was "exactly" done, i.e. models, types of comp. and amp etc., so that we can look at emulating what you did. Cost would help also for reference and type of sub as well.
Thanks,

Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 AM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I admit I'm not an audiophile (but I do like my music loud), on the 770w system, I was playing with the knobs.

Try this set up:

Use the default Balance and Fade.

Notice that the bass is really low and SW high. This prevents too much bass being sent to the smaller speakers. Seemed to give me an improved sound.

Very small movements of the bass slider at that level made significant changes and I could dial in different music genres pretty easily (jazz vs rock). Seemed to sound good at all volume levels too.

Worth checking out.

The following 4 users liked this post by mikelanzetta:
Dr.Chernobly (05-07-2016), IRRBrogue (04-30-2016), jaguny (04-30-2016), Ubad2 (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi, can you give us the details of what was "exactly" done, i.e. models, types of comp. and amp etc., so that we can look at emulating what you did. Cost would help also for reference and type of sub as well.
Thanks,
I had a proprietary system installed by a vendor that develops their own components, so I'm not able to share specifics unfortunately.

If anyone is interested in emulating what was done to my car, I'm more than happy to share the vendor info and pricing via PM.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

I had a proprietary system installed by a vendor that develops their own components, so I'm not able to share specifics unfortunately.

If anyone is interested in emulating what was done to my car, I'm more than happy to share the vendor info and pricing via PM.
Hi
Please do share the contact information. I am trading my F-Type S 2015 in for an R Convert. 2016. If the stereo isn't good....I will have to revert to what you did. I do expect it to be one of the good ones (Foosh......I hope you are right in your posts, LOL)))))!!!

Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

slotjaa -- any luck getting details on that diagram? Thanks

Old 04-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

No luck on diagram. I would expect there may be one on Topix.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:42 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Question Biernut, question for you ....

What state is your car audio shop located ?

Old 04-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

@mikelanzetta; I think you've zeroed in on at least one of the issues. The bass is one of the main culprits. The crossovers for which speakers the sound is fed to is not matched correctly. I've also observed that the Meridian setting mutes all frequencies more than dts or Dolby.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
@mikelanzetta; I think you've zeroed in on at least one of the issues. The bass is one of the main culprits. The crossovers for which speakers the sound is fed to is not matched correctly. I've also observed that the Meridian setting mutes all frequencies more than dts or Dolby.
Yep, as soon as I dialed the bass way back, suddenly it sounded clearer. Still lots of thump with the subwoofer cranked up.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi
Please do share the contact information. I am trading my F-Type S 2015 in for an R Convert. 2016. If the stereo isn't good....I will have to revert to what you did. I do expect it to be one of the good ones (Foosh......I hope you are right in your posts, LOL)))))!!!
PM sent.

Originally Posted by Ubad2
What state is your car audio shop located ?
They are located in CA, but will travel to you to do the work if you are located out of state.

slojotaa (05-03-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mikelanzetta
Yep, as soon as I dialed the bass way back, suddenly it sounded clearer. Still lots of thump with the subwoofer cranked up.
I went and tried this earlier and setting the base 3-4 clicks right of zero seems best in my car. Dts and Dolby sound better for CDs, Meridian setting for Satellite radio. The Merdian sends more of sound to front speakers it seems, and is more muted. This does help. Thanks. Still shouldn't be this off balance.

mikelanzetta (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Forum member Xdave has kindly responded to my request for diagrams. See the thread that requests Meridian diagram.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

PM sent.

They are located in CA, but will travel to you to do the work if you are located out of state.
Please send me a PM as well. I'm interested in going after market for my 16 R.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got a 2017 R, i was worried about the audio system after reading many negative reviews, i would just like to report that the Meridian system in my car sounds pretty good when properly set up with either the iphone or USB key, satellite is also fine but not as good. I have also a BMW 6 with 1200 watts B&O system that is awesome, the Meridian 770 and the small F Type does not match the BMW sounds (1200 vs 770) but for such a small car it is good. Time will tell if its reliable and solid and plays without rattles after some abuse, but so far i am happy with the sound quality and i play it loud with 1/2 bass, 2/3 woofer and 4/5 treble, ajusting the speakers 2/3 to the back.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bwco
slotjaa -- any luck getting details on that diagram? Thanks
BWCO, I am awaiting it by week end, and if I don't get it by then I am doubtful I can....too bad though, it was "exact', and something i would like to have for reference sake. Maybe i can, and then again maybe not? we will see.

bwco (05-03-2016)

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question