Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm sure you know this, but just for the sake of others who may be reading, it's not the phone speaker volume, but the volume control within the music app.
As long as music is actively playing on the device, the volume buttons on the side will control the media volume. Otherwise, you're right, the hardware buttons will just adjust ringtone volume.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Working the issue with Meridian

Several forum members have questioned where the system designer Meridian stands on the issues F-Type owners are having with the Meridian sound system. I have contacted Meridian directly and today I received this email from them below. I will keep everyone posted when I receive their next response.

Thank you for your email and sharing the feedback.

We will take your comments and share them with the dedicated internal teams at Jaguar Land Rover. Please be assured that either JLR or Meridian will follow up with you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you can be certain that we are taking this issue very seriously.

Kind regards,

Customer Support Team
T +44 (0) 1480 445678

Dr.Chernobly (05-19-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Feral, great thought to contact Meridian directly. Thank you.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Hopefully they add playlists and genre somewhere in the menus too...

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
Several forum members have questioned where the system designer Meridian stands on the issues F-Type owners are having with the Meridian sound system. I have contacted Meridian directly and today I received this email from them below. I will keep everyone posted when I receive their next response.

Thank you for your email and sharing the feedback.

We will take your comments and share them with the dedicated internal teams at Jaguar Land Rover. Please be assured that either JLR or Meridian will follow up with you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you can be certain that we are taking this issue very seriously.

Kind regards,

Customer Support Team
T +44 (0) 1480 445678
Thanks for sharing, dude.

But yeah, they are taking this issue VERY seriously; so seriously, that it's taking more than 2 years

Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 PM

On a separate note, is anyone experiencing rattling/interior noise when the sound system is turned off? The chassis, suspension, and steering feel solid. But the interior sounds flimsy.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a recent experience for me. I had a few weeks of blissful silence from the rattling interior panels after having the dealership perform the service bulletin for the sound system. Now it's back and seems worse than before.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by dwoodard
That's a recent experience for me. I had a few weeks of blissful silence from the rattling interior panels after having the dealership perform the service bulletin for the sound system. Now it's back and seems worse than before.
There are days where I don't hear a single noise; and then on other days, the car has noises coming from multiple areas.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Good morning all,

If anybody requires any further assistance, please do not hesitate to send a PM containing the following:

VIN
Vehicle registration
Full name
Preferred retailer
Email address
Telephone number

Once I have this, I would be more than happy to help where I can.

Many thanks,

Lucy

Old 05-20-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC@Jaguar
Good morning all,

If anybody requires any further assistance, please do not hesitate to send a PM containing the following:

VIN
Vehicle registration
Full name
Preferred retailer
Email address
Telephone number

Once I have this, I would be more than happy to help where I can.

Many thanks,

Lucy

Lucy, what type of assistance can you provide? It seems we need a solution from JLR/Meridian. My dealer is more than willing to address the problem, but what is the fix?

Thank you.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Lucy, what type of assistance can you provide? It seems we need a solution from JLR/Meridian. My dealer is more than willing to address the problem, but what is the fix?

Thank you.
I tried thsi a million times during the day on my 15 F-Type. The help is in NA for NA folks, and there was a nice guy in the uK who was trying but did have the juice, despite the willingness to budge things off of center. Same response, and same info requested, however crickets.
Fo what it is worth, and don't mean to be insulting, but if the individual is new and appointed to this from a global vantagepoint, then I am mistaken based upon my assumptions.
Good Luck,

jaguny (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I tried thsi a million times during the day on my 15 F-Type. The help is in NA for NA folks, and there was a nice guy in the uK who was trying but did have the juice, despite the willingness to budge things off of center. Same response, and same info requested, however crickets.
Fo what it is worth, and don't mean to be insulting, but if the individual is new and appointed to this from a global vantagepoint, then I am mistaken based upon my assumptions.
Good Luck,
A million times? One man? No wonder you just had open heart surgery!

On a more serious note - although there's not much more serious than open heart surgery - or should I say SIRIUS? I was at my excellent dealer not long ago, really just dropping by to say hello, and mentioned to the service manager how awful the radio sounds listening to SIRIUS radio. Streaming or listening to CD's (yes, I still do) the sound is excellent (although we all know any car is far, far from ideal for optimum listening conditions) but Classic Rock on SIRIUS, or any music station for that matter, sucks.

Thing is, on my wife's 10-year old BMW 325xi wagon with premium sound system the sound, listening to the very same stations on SIRIUS, is superb! Fabulous. So it can't just be the signal being received by itself as the sound quality is like night (F-Type) and day (BMW)...or vice versa. Just a curiosity.

The service manager did a little "research" and, essentially, came up blank.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-20-2016 at 08:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
jaguny (05-20-2016), slojotaa (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Default Full Dialogue with Meridian & JLR

Per my previous commitment, I am sharing the unedited conversations that I am having with the Meridian and JLR folks. I am sharing this to let everyone know that I am doing what I can to help those who have experienced a great deal of frustration attempting to get their Meridian sound systems fixed. I have one request - Please reserve judgement on the Meridian and JLR responses until the conversation has come to some resolution - thank you...

Sent: 19 May 2016 14:33
To: Technical Support
Subject: Re: General Feedback - Meridian Audio Contact Form

Hello,

Here's some feedback from F-Type owners regarding the performance of the Meridian 770 sound system:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...estion-106935/

I will have a 2017 F-Type SVR ordered soon and I am very concerned about this issue. Enough that if it is not addressed I may have to reconsider the purchase until I have some specific assurances that Meridian/Jaguar has this fixed as well as exactly what the problem(s) are and what specifically has been done to address them.

This is not the type of feedback that I would expect from a "premium" sound system in a $150,000 sports car. I hope this issue is important enough to Meridian (if not Jaguar) that it will once and for all be addressed and I will hear from someone very soon. Until then, my SVR purchase will be on-hold until I hear something back from Meridian that the problem has been definitively identified and a fix has been instituted...

Thank you,
Steve

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Vazquez, Pianca wrote:
Good afternoon Mr. Parker,

Jaguar Land Rover North America was contacted by Meridian regarding your concerns with our Jaguar F-Type's audio system's quality based on some of the feedback that you're reading on third party blogs online.

Unfortunately I can not speak to every blog and its' content. As you can appreciate anything can be posted online and not all of it is always 100% accurate in depicting all the facts. With any system in our vehicles there are numerous variables as to why any component may fault or not perform as the manufacturer intends - this can be due to care, maintenance, use, normal wear and tear, mechanical failure of a component, outside influence/damage, and interference from after-market equipment - to name a few.

As the manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover makes every attempt to address our customers' vehicle performance concerns through numerous quality checks and improvements at the factory. I can't speak to every concern online, however, I do know that most of our customers driving our Jaguar F-Types (in every model type) are very pleased with the performance of the audio system and have had no concerns with its' performance based on numerous surveys received throughout their ownership. Those that do have concerns make an appointment with their local retailers to have their stereo system inspected for any repairs that may be required.

I can only recommend testing a similarly equipped F-Type at your local retailer to ensure that you'll be satisfied with the performance prior to placing your order. I'll be here if you have any future concerns with your vehicle. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Pianca Vázquez
Senior Executive Liaison

Hello Ms. Vazquez,

Okay, I hear what you are saying. I also hear what you are not saying. In your very first paragraph, it sounds like the JLR's position is to discredit feedback from your own customers who have purchased F-Types. A very precarious position to take for any company who wishes to be successful. However, while the feedback from the "third party blog" may not be 100% accurate, there is no denying (unless you work for JLR) that there are some serious issues with the Meridian 770 system. For the record, before I sent this concern, I did sit in several F-Types and listened to the stereos. From my first hand observation, I found the system speakers to be cheap, rattle and the frequencies to be distorted from the tweeters to the sub woofers. The factory stereos in my Lexus and Corvette are light years better - and they didn't cost $100,000. Like it or not, that is the reality.

So, let's try a different tack. Based on actual verified recorded problems with the Meridian 770 Stereo System (which I am sure that JLR has), exactly what fixes have been performed and what TSR's have been issued to address those problems that JLR has acknowledged? I realize that gathering this information may be a bit of work, however I don't believe that for a customer who is about to purchase a $150,000 SVR it is asking too much.

Ms. Vazquez, my decision to move ahead with the purchase of my SVR will be contingent upon your full and complete response to my questions. I will not accept another evasive answer like the one you just provided - which told me absolutely nothing about my concerns. I want facts of known issues and repairs that have been implemented on the F-Type Meridian 770 sound system.

Regards,
Steve Parker

So this is where I'm at currently. There are obviously more conversations to be had, so try to be patient and stay tuned. I will continue to share my conversations with Meridian and JLR as they are received.

Thank you!

The following 6 users liked this post by FeralSVR:
BierNut (05-24-2016), Dr.Chernobly (05-20-2016), Grumpy Finn (05-20-2016), jaguny (05-20-2016), slojotaa (05-20-2016), Smoke Em (05-20-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

1 e-mail down, 999,999 to go. Good luck Steve - I applaud what you're doing - and I'm quite sure many here will be "listening" for a proper response. I sincerely hope that you and others get it.

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
1 e-mail down, 999,999 to go. Good luck Steve - I applaud what you're doing - and I'm quite sure many here will be "listening" for a proper response. I sincerely hope that you and others get it.

Best regards,
RJ52
Alright maybe a "million" was a couple too many loL!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

You know, it's just possible that the overwhelming majority of customers have indicated on surveys that they are completely satisfied with the system. Thus, what Ms. Vazquez told you may very well be 100% accurate.

This forum represents a very small sample of the most car crazy, OCD owners, in other words, the only type of people who actively participate in car forums. Even many here are satisfied.

Moreover, it may not be Meridian's problem at all, but with the way it was designed to be installed by JLR and/or quality control problems w/ the installation in some cars. People seems to be very happy with Meridians in all other JLR models. That would explain why some people (like me) think it sounds fantastic, and again, it would point back to F-Type design or QC as causal factors. I've tried everything w/ every type of music to reproduce any of the symptoms I've read on this forum. I can't duplicate a single one of them.

At any rate, the above possibilities are the only real logical explanations for why JLR has not moved heaven and earth to fix the problem. JLR has now had 4 model years now to switch vendors if they thought they had a huge problem on their hands. Manufacturers are constantly switching between audio vendors.

I'm not at all suggesting that there isn't a problem for some people, and clearly JLR has recognized it by issuing TSBs to deal w/ unacceptable performance in some cars. However, they seem to believe it is a much smaller and more manageable problem than many people here seem to believe it is.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-20-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:05 AM

You know, it's just possible that the overwhelming majority of customers have indicated on surveys that they are completely satisfied with the system. Thus, what Ms. Vazquez told you may very well be 100% accurate.

This forum represents a very small sample of the most car crazy, OCD owners, in other words, the only type of people who actively participate in car forums. Even many here are satisfied.

Moreover, it may not be Meridian's problem at all, but with the way it was designed to be installed by JLR and/or quality control problems w/ the installation in some cars. People seems to be very happy with Meridians in all other JLR models. That would explain why some people (like me) think it sounds fantastic, and again, it would point back to F-Type design or QC as causal factors. I've tried everything w/ every type of music to reproduce any of the symptoms I've read on this forum. I can't duplicate a single one of them.

At any rate, the above possibilities are the only real logical explanations for why JLR has not moved heaven and earth to fix the problem. JLR has now had 4 model years now to switch vendors if they thought they had a huge problem on their hands. Manufacturers are constantly switching between audio vendors.
You don't have to be OCD (which I am ) to hear that the system sounds like crap at times. Just be glad yours is problem-free. But as I mentioned before, aside from the sound system, the interior produces noises even when the system is turned off; flimsy fit if you ask me.

From a customer service perspective, I called JLR customer service and mentioned the issue. The CSR told me to test the same songs on a different car in the dealership, and if I can repeat the same sound, then it's a feature. So in that logic, I guess if a door falls off on a single car, it's a defect, but if it falls off on multiple cars, then it's a feature?

jaguny (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not at all suggesting that there isn't a problem for some people, and clearly JLR has recognized it by issuing TSBs to deal w/ unacceptable performance in some cars. However, they seem to believe it is a much smaller and more manageable problem than many people here seem to believe it is.
Hi Foosh:
You stated a while ago, fairly accurately might I add that the issue appears to be spotty. When they are bad, damn they suck, and when they are good....they sound great.

My other XJL sounds awesome and it is the base system. Jaguar should be trying to catch all of the F-type issues in line as a core QC process(es).

As for Pianca, she is a straight shooting lady that I have come to know and like a lot. I doubt she is telling a fib, and will get to the bottom of this I am fairly confident knowing her character.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of us that do find issue with the system , it will only partially be fixed by either switching audio vendors or Meridian making changes to the selected hardware (drivers, crossovers, etc.). From what I have seen of how the speakers are installed in the car, this goes to an overall design decision that would require JLR to modify not only what (driver size and configuration), but how they are installing the system too.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Default More from JLR Rep

Response just received from JLR Rep...

Good Morning Mr. Parker,

You're certainly entitled to your own interpretation of my correspondence to you, although I am sorry to hear that it was received so negatively as it was not my intent at all. I value your time and surely wouldn't want to be redundant in my response to you - but there are numerous factors as to why any component may fault or not perform as we intend. Many of which would likely never be a concern with this new F-Type. I apologize, Jaguar Land Rover North America would not be in the position to offer a list of repairs performed on your model of interest or technical bulletins on this stereo system, 1) statistical data is not information that is kept in this office and 2) it would be considered proprietary information.

I have formally documented your complaints in your case and forwarded your feedback with regard to your particular experiences with the F-Type's stereo system to our Product Development team in the UK who will use this information in efforts to continue to improve our products moving forward.

​I know you reached out to Jaguar Land Rover ​in the hopes to gain reassurances on your prospective purchase. Although we truly wish our customers' experiences are only positive and trouble-free, no automotive brand can 100% guarantee that a customer would have no vehicle concerns during the length of their ownership. Should an owner have a concern with their vehicle due to factory defects, we do our best to quickly make it right when given the opportunity.

There's no doubt that the F-Type is an amazing sports car. I've been in the automotive industry for many years - and it's certainly my top pick for the most fun vehicle to drive. I do hope to see you in the Jaguar family soon. I do wish you well and safe travels in any vehicle you choose.

Best Regards,
Pianca Vázquez

My Response:

Steve Parker
9:49 AM (10 minutes ago)

to Pianca
Good Morning Ms. Vazquez,

It may not have been your intent, but your correspondence came across as I stated. We are in total agreement that there are potentially numerous reasons why any component may fault or not perform as JLR intends. However, when this occurs is JLR's response to those affected "oh well"? I get that, but the fact remains that there are not only individuals who are having these problems but so are several of your frustrated dealerships who are trying to fix them. Will you throw them under the bus as well and say that dealerships can say whatever they want as well? I find it unfathomable that JLR cannot share chronic issues with the Meridian system with potential customers. Apparently one of the reasons you stated was that the information I requested is not in your office - is that the extent to which you will research an issue? If the information being requested is in your office and why would it be considered "proprietary"?

"Should an owner have a concern with their vehicle due to factory defects, we do our best to quickly make it right when given the opportunity".

While this may be true for many JLR customers, it is those who are labeled "statistically insignificant" who feel they are not being heard and will remain unhappy. So, what is the recommended fix? For JLR to do what it has always done which only serves to fuel the frustration of dealerships and customers with subpar systems.

Unfortunately, from your responses, it seems very apparent to me that JLR has washed its hands of this issue. If there was a real attempt by JLR to get to the bottom of this, they would appoint a designated technical person (and direct contact information to reach them) to listen and communicate directly with these customers who have faulty Meridian sound systems to hear first hand of their frustrations instead of hiding behind organizational layers of people who can do absolutely nothing whatsoever to resolve their problem.

I appreciate your time, however it is crystal clear to me that you are not the person who can address this problem. Please provide contact information for someone within JLR who is responsible for "Customer Satisfaction" - if that position even exists within the JLR organization or is that "proprietary" information as well? :-)....

Regards,
Steve

Last edited by FeralSVR; 05-20-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question