Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Dear Lucy,
Lip service, I'm afraid. My dealer is clear in stating they want to fix the issue for me, having already replaced the amp, but need help from JLR/Meridian to identify a viable fix. Why can't JLR step in and resolve this? I had my car at a euro based auto car show on display and many people loved the car with interest in buying one, but when I mentioned the stereo., they asked why the manufacturer hadn't presented a fix. I didn't have a good answer. Needless to say they weren't impressed with that kind of service. If the water pumps were failing wouldn't they fix that problem? Why is this so difficult- Whirlinturbin has been in 8 times!!!!!!!!!! With No Resolution. You can be of further service........Please have JLR change their approach on this.

Unfortunately despite 6-7 different social media reps over the last 3 years of this issue coming up, their ability to help is limited to the same as it was back then - a dealer referral service.

The policies of the CRC hurt the company and clearly it frustrates their employees hence perhaps the reason why so many new names?

JLR have been actively hiding from this issue over that time to nobodies satisfaction. I wish everyone sincerest luck. The only way to make progress on this is with the executive office based on my experience pushing for 2 years. Unfortunately that experience burnt the emotional appeal of the brand for me. And let's face it that's an important ownership criteria.

The following 2 users liked this post by mawheele:
FeralSVR (06-21-2016), NTAV (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Lucy,

Dealers need assistance and a fix. In my case and many others it is not a dealer realationship problem. It is a JLR relationship problem. Please convey that to your leadership.

Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
FeralSVR (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Insult

Just to follow up with you guys/gals about my experience.
Although I know many feel that this issue should be filed in the cabinet.
As of today, my car has been @ the service for over a month. First attempt was pseudo-remedied and blamed on "blown tweeters". Not so after my inspection of the actual replaced tweeters and needless to say, the problem persists.
Second, a top dog "engineer will come and we will diagnose it." The top dog was a No Show...but phoned in chitty-chatty with the tech and mentioned something along the line of adding/replacing a capacitor in the crossover to deliver the proper frequency to the appropriate channel's outlet, thus in theory, sending low to SubW, Mids...and Treble etc. So they ordered the capacitors and another week....
The last time I checked, the rep sent me a short note and I simply replied, "they are looking into it"

At this very moment, I am frustrated yet still trying to be very patient since I truly love the car. My very first drive in this car was 12 hours long and loving 98% of it! Except the annoying rattlings coming from the tweeters and I could not for the life of me, turning the radio off to shut it up, beside changing media format to be in off = silence. I didn't know where the power button was and thanks to FOOSH, later pointed out to me.
Anyhow, to add insult to injury, not seeing the car usually parked at the gym when I went to workout at times, a young punk in a grey Nissan GTR asked me if my car got repossessed?!

The following 2 users liked this post by NTAV:
FeralSVR (06-22-2016), jaguny (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

NATV, this is the primary reason I don't want to take it back to the dealer. They don't have a fix, and I don't want to be without the car for an extended period of time.

Please keep us advised. Unfortunately you are the closest to a technician who may get lucky and improve the sound.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 AM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts
Default J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Initial Quality StudySM (IQS), released today.

Dear Jaguar,

2016 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power

Draw your own conclusions...

Old 06-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
Dear Jaguar,

2016 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power

Draw your own conclusions...

Good job J/LR. Three out of the top seven in the bottom of the list. Other than 2 stickys, with over 50,000 views, this post is also on track to be viewed by 50,000. Someone's viewing it, other than J/LR (it would appear).

slojotaa (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Good job J/LR. Three out of the top seven in the bottom of the list. Other than 2 stickys, with over 50,000 views, this post is also on track to be viewed by 50,000. Someone's viewing it, other than J/LR (it would appear).
Amazing. Such great cars, such poor rating! I still love my Jags, and hopefully this wakes them up a bit towards "continuous improvement", which I think is underway, in my view.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Amazing. Such great cars, such poor rating! I still love my Jags, and hopefully this wakes them up a bit towards "continuous improvement", which I think is underway, in my view.
The ONLY thing I can discern being "continuously improved" is you and your health Joe...but then, I do not have a problem with my sound system.

Best regards,
Jay

slojotaa (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

The ONLY thing I can discern being "continuously improved" is you and your health Joe...but then, I do not have a problem with my sound system.

Best regards,
Jay

That is very accurate (my health), thank God. I for one don't have a problem with mine either, but that is because I changed the 15 over for the later mfg. 16 R. One giant step for my wallet, one small step for "mankind" :-)

Old 06-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
If I recall correctly, in 2014, Jaguar was in the top 5.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
If I recall correctly, in 2014, Jaguar was in the top 5.
That was then. This is now.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-23-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

That was then. This is now.
New models are almost always fraught with additional problems that get sorted out over the first couple of years. Rolling out 3 new models over the past few years has skewed Jag's statistics. Jag has managed to address the fueling cutoff and clutch problems for production, so the repair statistics will improve from that alone. It's hard to understand why they won't dig into the Meridian issues.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
New models are almost always fraught with additional problems that get sorted out over the first couple of years. Rolling out 3 new models over the past few years has skewed Jag's statistics. Jag has managed to address the fueling cutoff and clutch problems for production, so the repair statistics will improve from that alone. It's hard to understand why they won't dig into the Meridian issues.
The "good news", about being at or near the bottom of any list, is that there's basically no place to go but up. The other "great news" is we spoke today, and that's always a pleasure.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The other "great news" is we spoke today, and that's always a pleasure.
+1. It was interesting to hear about the hazmat cleanup process. Sorry to hear about the civilian casualties.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Jaguar F Type 5 Things I Love and Hate Video

An informative video that has an "interesting" commentary and description of the Meridian Sound System:

Enjoy!

The following 4 users liked this post by FeralSVR:
enderle (06-28-2016), jaguny (06-27-2016), NTAV (06-29-2016), Unhingd (06-27-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good morning folks!
I regret to inform all of you..though you might have known this outcome already! I will be picking up my car today with the effin' problem not fixed. Their JLRNA's field engineer came and decreed that this is "NORMAL" and there is/was not a problem with the Meridian's rattling. Despite, yes despite the service writer from the dealership acknowledged it with their own ears and the tech (claiming to used to work in car audio shop) saying that he thought with the capacitor changed in the crossover, it might fix the problem.

So no and no more Jaguar for me in the future!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I saw this coming ....

Originally Posted by NTAV
Good morning folks!
I regret to inform all of you..though you might have known this outcome already! I will be picking up my car today with the effin' problem not fixed. Their JLRNA's field engineer came and decreed that this is "NORMAL" and there is/was not a problem with the Meridian's rattling. Despite, yes despite the service writer from the dealership acknowledged it with their own ears and the tech (claiming to used to work in car audio shop) saying that he thought with the capacitor changed in the crossover, it might fix the problem.

It's sad to know JLR will not acknowledge an existing problem and simply shrugs it off as if the problem isn't there. That's a direct F U to the Jaguar customer.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
Good morning folks!

I unfortunately can relate. Same exact experience, 3 times in a row. I also won't get another Jag.

I've found the right capacitor spec and am going to try it out on my own, after a final attempt soon with Jag and the dealership.

As for the capacitor we need around 13uF to get a 3kHz filter.

0.159/(13.3uF/1e6*4) = 2988Hz

Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)

Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pistol
I unfortunately can relate. Same exact experience, 3 times in a row. I also won't get another Jag.

I've found the right capacitor spec and am going to try it out on my own, after a final attempt soon with Jag and the dealership.

As for the capacitor we need around 13uF to get a 3kHz filter.

0.159/(13.3uF/1e6*4) = 2988Hz

Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)
Hi Pistol:
? for you. This spec that you posted, can you put this in simpler terms as to what you mean, etc., for the "novice" who doesn't understand much about this stuff (aka "me", LOL).
Thanks

Old 06-30-2016, 02:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

He's assuming that there is no crossover for the tweeter, and that low frequencies are being driven to it, causing distortion. By adding a capacitor in series with the impedance of the speaker (4 ohms, though it's a function of frequency), you create a 'high-pass filter', so that only higher frequencies are passed.

This is a 'first order' high pass filter, which cuts off the lower frequencies more slowly than a higher order (more complicated) filter would.
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/.../filter_3.html

I've assumed that the crossover function is done digitally in the amp. If I can figure out how to remove the door panels (or someone can tell me), I'll hook up a spectrum analyzer to see if the speakers are crossed over properly or not.

Last time I looked, I didn't see any screws on the door card. In previous cars, you'd remove a few screws, yank out the panel to release the clips, then lift it up.

Last edited by DJS; 06-30-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question